Every Other Day Diet--anyone else on this diet?

Options

Replies

• angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have read Dr. Varady's book and Dr. Mosley's.

I have done a combination of both, losing 6kg in 7 weeks. I am now on maintanance, feeling great.

I strongly believe in giving your body a rest from having to digest food all the time, so I try to stick to 16:8 most of the days, where I consume all my calories within 8 hours of the day, eating nothing for the remaining 16.

Stef.

Excellent. I love it when people take in the information and then do what works best for them.
  • Hididolee
    Hididolee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4. I started on Saturday as feast day, then Sunday as fast day and it was a very long day but stuck to it. Feast day yesterday was fantastic and fast day today (you get the drift!). I'm at work and it's lunch time and I've had my first eat (100 Kcal snack). To be honest I'm doing OK. Was wondering about my sleep but that has been fine. Fingers crossed
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4. I started on Saturday as feast day, then Sunday as fast day and it was a very long day but stuck to it. Feast day yesterday was fantastic and fast day today (you get the drift!). I'm at work and it's lunch time and I've had my first eat (100 Kcal snack). To be honest I'm doing OK. Was wondering about my sleep but that has been fine. Fingers crossed

Good for you. Keep us posted. Best of luck to you!!
  • Heather29angel
    Heather29angel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You explained this perfectly I couldn't have said it better myself lol a 3,500 calorie deficit per week is what you need to lose 1 pound and that is pretty much the bottom line to losing weight!! Everybody needs to know this before they choose a diet! There is no way around that, we do not have a choice. The only thing we can choose is how we get that 3,500 per week deficit :happy:
  • Hididolee
    Hididolee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    An update! This diet is really working for me.:smile: Compared to all the other diets I've been on over my life - I'm now 46 and probably done most of them with little sticking power. But this? Yes it's working. I have modified my lifestyle too to fit.
    I started end of Jan. I've lost 12 pounds (8 weeks) - I now have 26 pounds to go!
    I am quite irritated by some of the responses on here. :ohwell:
    There are many diets and diets suit different people. Restricting my calorie intake every day does not fit in with my lifestyle.
    This works because I can manage the 500 fast day. The feast day is my day of freedom.
    Lifestyle changes - the most significant one is that I have had to give up alcohol. No great surprise that I wasn't losing the weight whilst still drinking but I think that has more to do with my age and hormonal levels. But I'm losing weight so not missing the booze.
    I am also exercising and wanting to exercise! - That's quite a new feeling.
    As for 'money makers' out there - it's cost me the price of the book, Kindle and printed. However, I am spending far less on food every week and obviously no more on alcohol. So already have the payback. Several times over
  • ReneeStephen
    ReneeStephen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is so great to hear, I found this thread through googling the diet (been on it a week and wanted to find out if the 500 days are net calories, so if I exercise can I eat more? Maybe you've had some experience there? :) and I've actually found it to be way better than what was slowly working for me before, 1500 a day. It's just easier, I don't really feel hungry but on feast days I get full *way* faster than I did before, so I'm just eating less overall... but I can go out with friends and eat restaurant food (carefully) without feeling like I'm deprived. It's awesome.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There is no way that would work for me if I believed I really could 'eat what I want'.

Me, I'd want to keep consistent protein intake to help retain muscle mass.
    However, I do go for an 18 hour eating window (same protein every day) and on rest days I eat 1400+cardio while 2400+cardio on weights days.
    I don't know how much being well below (unless you purely eat protein and nothing else), would work.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a smartass, but how are you supposed to eat when it's over?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a smartass, but how are you supposed to eat when it's over?

You could eat your maintenance calories, having lost the excess fat ?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

You could move to 5:2 or even 6:1 depending on how much your free days go over. This diet isn't for me but I could see it working for people I know.
  • sheilaq14
    sheilaq14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Been doing it since end of January and I am hooked! I love the freedom of the feast days, though I make sure not to go over 2700 and the 500 days have been fine. The first few were hard but then the hunger goes away and you are in the groove. I truly believe I will eat this way for years to come. Enjoy!
  • bunnypanther
    Options
    I did 5:2 and lost.

If you plan carefully 500cals can be quite a lot of food!

It does only work if you don't go mental on the feast days. Still need to track your cals and not eat a billion calories :D As long as you're reasonably sensible n use some common sense, it does work.

I've moved on to little and often now as my feast days I was sometimes struggling to eat as much as I should and I'm finding this method easier. But that's working for me. Go with whatever works for you!! :D
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have not heard of this type of diet. I don't think it could work for me, but that's good that people are finding out different ways to lose if it works for them. I guess i'm confused of the benefit of this compared to eating a regular deficit every day instead of eating 500 calories one day and 2000 the next. But hell, if you can do it, and find that it's easier, :drinker:
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake. It is things like this which irritate the hell out of me.

Some "genius" making a load of money from publishing books on stupid diets.

By the way, when I lost weight, I used the 'Eat Less Sh1t Than Normal' diet. I invented this myself. It involved eating less food than what got me overweight in the first place. So yes, you can eat whatever you want, just that, when you eat a bit too much, you do some exercise to balance things out.

And yes!!! It worked. I lost weight on a diet that allowed me to eat burgers, chocolate, pizza and all my other treats, just in smaller portions. And in taking on running as an exercise, I got fitter, stronger, and now that I dont need to lose weight, running allows me to eat whatever I want, pretty much.

Wowww!!!!!

you jelly?

I agee tho I made the eat the food I want and stay in a deficet diet up too....the food in this diet varies and can be found anywhere there is a grocery store. You just need to buy a food scale and weigh portions...it's an amazing diet too we should get together and write a book.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, apparently. Honestly, no need to be horrid to people! Everybody is different - each to their own.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Just got my copy of her new book, Krista Varady,PhD "The Every Other Day Diet". She conducted scientific research and developed this plan: on the Modified Fast day, you eat (total) 500 calories for either lunch or dinner, and then the next day, the Feast day, you eat whatever you want and keep alternating days--Fast day, Feast day, etc. The book is very convincing because she backs up her statements with research that was published in various medical journals.
    I've tried it on and off since I heard of it about a month ago, but I haven't been consistent. Even what I've done, though, I see benefits.
    Now that I have the book, I want to practice the diet in earnest. Information about the diet is here: http://www.eoddiet.com.
    Is there anyone else who has tried or is going to try EOD?

Oh for goodness sake. It is things like this which irritate the hell out of me.

Some "genius" making a load of money from publishing books on stupid diets.

By the way, when I lost weight, I used the 'Eat Less Sh1t Than Normal' diet. I invented this myself. It involved eating less food than what got me overweight in the first place. So yes, you can eat whatever you want, just that, when you eat a bit too much, you do some exercise to balance things out.

And yes!!! It worked. I lost weight on a diet that allowed me to eat burgers, chocolate, pizza and all my other treats, just in smaller portions. And in taking on running as an exercise, I got fitter, stronger, and now that I dont need to lose weight, running allows me to eat whatever I want, pretty much.

Wowww!!!!!

Oh goodie! Another "my way is the only way" post.

Oh goodie! another post bashing the calorie deficet diet from you...

There is only one way to los weight a calorie deficet...but there are 1000's of ways to get that deficet....no where did the poster say their way was the only way...
    But you did.
    You were the one that came in and said "I eat whatever I want just in smaller portions"....who cares if the OP wants to create a deficit by limiting every other day? Obviously you think you're something special with think people are "jelly" of you, but for some just staying within calories every single day won't make them stick to that calorie deficit. Just another way, but of course you have to come in and say "I eat whatever I want!!!!?! Why would you do it that way?!".
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have not heard of this type of diet. I don't think it could work for me, but that's good that people are finding out different ways to lose if it works for them. I guess i'm confused of the benefit of this compared to eating a regular deficit every day instead of eating 500 calories one day and 2000 the next. But hell, if you can do it, and find that it's easier, :drinker:
    That is basically waht it is..just how you explain.
    Some tout as no calories at all when you fast, some say on fast days to eat 500 calories.
    I go about it a different way though and use a 24 hour cycle.
    I personally go about it by nothing for 24 hours, then eat my maintain for 24 hours, and repeat that 3 times a week. I count calories on the traditonal daily schedule, but fast on a 24 hour cycle and it basically equals out to 1500 a day and a deficit for me of 7000 calories a week. So far my 'worst' week has been losing just two pounds. "Today" is my fast day, or Down Day (DD) as some say. So, for dinner tonite I am having a big, juicy bleu cheeseburger and a salad at the end of my 24 hour fast.

the thing that makes the ADF so attractive to me is this. For example, dinner on sunday at lets say 6pm. I wont eat again until 6pm monday, but if I want a steak, or a sub, or something else I can and alot of times do. Throughout the week it avgs to about 1500/day but I am still able to enjoy the food I love so much like pzza, steaks, burgers. The body starts to really kick in the burning about the 18-24 hour mark of you fast so in reality it is better than doing it the traditional way of eating 1500 a day with 3-5 meals.

In reality it is not a whole lot diff than many other ways to do it, but for me it keeps me knowing that even if I get hungry during the day I can, and will, have a dinner I really like.
    Then for the next 24 hours including my meal tonite I will eat sensibly, up to 2500 calories but probably closer to 2000 so probably 700-900 tonite and a total of 2000 maybe tomorrow.
  • greenstar888
    greenstar888 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

As for 'money makers' out there - it's cost me the price of the book, Kindle and printed. However, I am spending far less on food every week and obviously no more on alcohol. So already have the payback. Several times over

I love what you are saying right here! So many diets are trying to get you to buy product, this one is just very simple, Eat Less (EOD). I just started this week and so far feel good. I even was too full from lunch on my feast day so went ahead and skipped dinner.
  • DeWitch
    DeWitch Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    oops:blushing:
  • DeWitch
    DeWitch Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ehh only 500 calories in a day doesn't sound healthy to me =\ And eating that little food one day just makes it seem too likely you'll just go way over on your "feast day." And I don't think that's really sustainable in the long-run. I think a moderate daily deficit with healthy food choices is the best way to go. No need for these fancy diets and programs - pick a healthy lifestyle change you can make to stay healthy the rest of your life.

What is "fancy" about eating less one day and more the next?
  • Msdish79
    Msdish79 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on it. I love it. The first week was a little challenging and of course, if you eat too much or the wrong foods prior to starting ANY lowering of calories, you will feel uncomfortable the first week. To be expected. People refuse to suffer even for one second. That's why the diet industry is a multi-billion dollar industry AND why no one ever sticks to anything. They feel they cannot do without.

WRONG! Of course you can live without and being in constant feast mode is not healthy.

Now that I have settled in, I feel great and eat my one 500 calorie meal around 2:00 pm-ish. I do not eat whatever I want on my eat days. I think that's just wrong but I am pretty disciplined. I have lost weight. I feel great. I will do this forever. No reason not too. Maybe cut my fast days down at a later date.

Have fun and stay strong.

Be well!