Am I doing the right things?

Options
Hello all! First, a brief overview: I'm not overweight, but I generally have had a fairly sedentary lifestyle and desk job, and have let some pounds creep on and muscle creep away. I am petite, 5 feet tall and before I started eating/exercising about a month ago was at about 114 pounds. I'd like to be a bit less squishy — lose about 10-15 pounds and gain some muscle... which I understand can be more difficult if you don't have much to lose?

So, I started using the elliptical daily (I'm up to two 15 minute sessions a day), cleaned up my eating habits, added a few more basic exercises in the morning (25 reps of crunches/lunges/squats/leg lifts) and just this week started doing the 30 Day Shred. As of this morning, I'm about 111.5 pounds. I've heard the scale stalls once you begin a new routine and begin to gain muscle, is this right? I have noticeably lost inches since my start, so that's encouraging.

I've been really consistent with everything so far, but I wanted to be sure I'm on track here. The only problem I'm having is actually eating enough each day. I have heard all the conversation about "you must eat 1200 calories a day or go into 'starvation mode'," and while I'm not sure I believe it, I don't want to hinder my progress, especially as I increase my daily workouts, by not consuming enough calories.

Lately I've been netting 800-1000 a day (though the calories entered are probably not entirely accurate, as I go by the elliptical's estimate (Yes, I need to get a HRM.). At that, I've been pretty fully satisfied, and don't want to eat junk just to add calories. I'm a super picky eater, so my range of "healthy" or clean foods is fairly slim and I tend to rotate the same things around in my diet. Do I need to strive and eat more, even if I'm not hungry? Does my petite size make any difference? Before I even started trying to eat healthier, I was eating maybe 1400-1600 a day, but mostly fast food and easy to grab junk. Anyway, any advice is helpful!

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Yes your size makes a difference on how much you can eat.. However eating that low your not gaining any muscle.. as they say.. your not a special snowflake.. eat your food.. power your workouts.. lift some weights.. see results..

Figure out your TDEE, take a cut from it.. eat that. (search feature to find calculators)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy to get less "shishy" and eat at maintenance for a while. Find your TDEE and go from there. At this stage for you, you are more trying to recomp than to lose weight.

And no, you aren't building any significant muscle while netting 1000 calories a day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are three threads that I really think anyone new to the boards should read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

The scale does tend to stall when you start a new exercise routine, but not because you're gaining muscle. It's because our bodies flood sore muscles with extra fluid to help cushion and repair them after exercise, which can mask any fat loss that's happening in the background.

It's very easy to increase your calories by a few hundred calories. We can't see your diary, so I can't give specifics based on what you're already eating, but try incorporating more calorie dense foods into your diet. Nuts, peanut butter, full fat dairy, cheese, Greek yogurt, sour cream, avocado, full calorie dressings and sauces, olive oil, butter, coconut oil, dark chocolate, ice cream, fruit juice, protein shakes and smoothies, granola, whole eggs, etc.

This, of course, assumes that your logging as accurate and you're actually eating as little as you think.
  • powersgray
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. All this is new to me! I do carry most of my extra weight around my middle/butt/hips (I'm pear-shaped), and while I know these areas can't be targeted for weight loss, that's where I'd like to lose/tone the most. I do eat peanuts/peanut butter and cheeses just about every day to up my calories, but I'm wondering if I've just taken the "healthy eating" thing too far. I tried to strip as many calories out as I could in the beginning (low-fat cheese, spray butter stuff, baked not fried, etc.), but maybe I need to bring a few of these things back. I do estimate some of my logged calories for homecooked items, but if anything I think I over-estimate.

As for lifting, I truly don't know enough about it to trust myself to start a real routine, so that's why I've been sticking with cardio and now just added Jillian's workout (which is kicking my *kitten*, in a good way).
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think you should go for the regular full-fat version of food, rather than the low-fat/ sugar-free versions. More filling, less processed.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    lift some weights.. see results..

Figure out your TDEE, take a cut from it.. eat that. (search feature to find calculators)

^^ Just this.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Add friends and ask to view logs if they're not already open or public. There are plenty of variations to things you already eat. Good luck
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    These are three threads that I really think anyone new to the boards should read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

The scale does tend to stall when you start a new exercise routine, but not because you're gaining muscle. It's because our bodies flood sore muscles with extra fluid to help cushion and repair them after exercise, which can mask any fat loss that's happening in the background.

It's very easy to increase your calories by a few hundred calories. We can't see your diary, so I can't give specifics based on what you're already eating, but try incorporating more calorie dense foods into your diet. Nuts, peanut butter, full fat dairy, cheese, Greek yogurt, sour cream, avocado, full calorie dressings and sauces, olive oil, butter, coconut oil, dark chocolate, ice cream, fruit juice, protein shakes and smoothies, granola, whole eggs, etc.

This, of course, assumes that your logging as accurate and you're actually eating as little as you think.

^^^ this

If you are estimating on counts for homemade stuff then you are not logging food correctly. We all try to overestimate guesses but rarely ever do it right. You said you eat a limited variety on a rotation - it wouldn't take you much time to add the recipies to the database and use those for accurate logging.

Cutting corners won't help you
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. All this is new to me! I do carry most of my extra weight around my middle/butt/hips (I'm pear-shaped), and while I know these areas can't be targeted for weight loss, that's where I'd like to lose/tone the most. I do eat peanuts/peanut butter and cheeses just about every day to up my calories, but I'm wondering if I've just taken the "healthy eating" thing too far. I tried to strip as many calories out as I could in the beginning (low-fat cheese, spray butter stuff, baked not fried, etc.), but maybe I need to bring a few of these things back. I do estimate some of my logged calories for homecooked items, but if anything I think I over-estimate.

As for lifting, I truly don't know enough about it to trust myself to start a real routine, so that's why I've been sticking with cardio and now just added Jillian's workout (which is kicking my *kitten*, in a good way).

So...do a little research, it's totally worth it. Check out this group, they can help you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read some books (New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength...) and watch some videos on proper form. (The group I linked to above has many to choose from). Also look into Stronglifts 5 x 5. It's a great beginners program http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ and there is a group for women on MFP who do this program http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women.

Seriously. You'll never "know enough about it" till you make an effort to learn it. You won't be sorry, I promise.

Eat more and don't obsess about the number on the scale, it's not important. You need fuel to build/maintain muscle. The number on the scale doesn't matter. A person can be 115 and squishy or 130 and shapely. Which do you think is better?
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options

So...do a little research, it's totally worth it. Check out this group, they can help you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read some books (New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength...) and watch some videos on proper form. (The group I linked to above has many to choose from). Also look into Stronglifts 5 x 5. It's a great beginners program http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ and there is a group for women on MFP who do this program http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women.

Seriously. You'll never "know enough about it" till you make an effort to learn it. You won't be sorry, I promise.

Eat more and don't obsess about the number on the scale, it's not important. You need fuel to build/maintain muscle. The number on the scale doesn't matter. A person can be 115 and squishy or 130 and shapely. Which do you think is better?

^^ This is a great response- and the Eat-Train-Progress group is fantastic.

I'd also say that it sounds like you kind of know what you should be doing. While making changes is good, I don't think there's any need for substitutes or low-fat foods... eating the full fat versions in moderation should help you get your cals to a good level, and help you feel satiated. Focus on moderation and sustainable changes, plus some weightlifting to make sure you don't lose any more muscle mass, and you should find yourself on a good path!
  • powersgray
    Options
    On the TDEE, I'm a little confused. I've tried this with a few calculators, and all have widely different results, by the way. Any one in particular to recommend? Judging by one calculator, my BMR is 1121, and with 6x week exercise, my TDEE is 1688. Subtracting 20%, it's 1351, which seems like a lot to me. Is that right? So is that what I should be targeting, instead of 1200? 1200 is already hard to hit, especially after factoring in exercise.

I may look into the lifting. We do have a Bowflex at home, I just always need my husband's help figuring the darn thing out!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    On the TDEE, I'm a little confused. I've tried this with a few calculators, and all have widely different results, by the way. Any one in particular to recommend? Judging by one calculator, my BMR is 1121, and with 6x week exercise, my TDEE is 1688. Subtracting 20%, it's 1351, which seems like a lot to me. Is that right? So is that what I should be targeting, instead of 1200? 1200 is already hard to hit, especially after factoring in exercise.

I may look into the lifting. We do have a Bowflex at home, I just always need my husband's help figuring the darn thing out!

That actually sounds really low to me. I would think you'd be more in the 2000 range.

ETA: I get around 2100 for you when I input your stats and add 6 days a week exercise.
  • powersgray
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy, I'd be eating more than before I started trying to lose weight! I get that by increasing exercise I need more calories, but it seems like I'd be breaking even more than anything. Again, I'm not sure why different calculators have different outcomes.

That actually sounds really low to me. I would think you'd be more in the 2000 range.

ETA: I get around 2100 for you when I input your stats and add 6 days a week exercise.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy, I'd be eating more than before I started trying to lose weight! I get that by increasing exercise I need more calories, but it seems like I'd be breaking even more than anything. Again, I'm not sure why different calculators have different outcomes.

I bet you were eating more, you just didn't know it, but either way...the exercise basically allows you an extra 500 per day. Do keep in mind that you have to play with the numbers to nail down your actual number, but I maintain at 3400 right now. Does 2000 still sound that high? lol
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Remember that with the TDEE method your exercise is already factored in. You would not be eating back extra exercise calories with this method.
  • powersgray
    Options
    Well, I think for now I'm going to go ahead and try to get around the 1200 mark daily, and see how it goes. I'll add back in more calories that I had originally restricted before I started exercising more. It just doesn't make sense to me to stuff yourself if you aren't hungry, but maybe my metabolism suffered when I started dropping my daily intake low. I'm probably overthinking it, but just don't want my hard work to go to waste because of my diet. My original thought was just "eat better, eat less, exercise," but it's really not as simple as that, it seems. Did I mention I hate math? ;)
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Well, I think for now I'm going to go ahead and try to get around the 1200 mark daily, and see how it goes. I'll add back in more calories that I had originally restricted before I started exercising more. It just doesn't make sense to me to stuff yourself if you aren't hungry, but maybe my metabolism suffered when I started dropping my daily intake low. I'm probably overthinking it, but just don't want my hard work to go to waste because of my diet. My original thought was just "eat better, eat less, exercise," but it's really not as simple as that, it seems. Did I mention I hate math? ;)

Just make sure and eat your exercise calories back. 1200 is before exercise so theoretically you should be eating around 15-1600 calories per day based on how much you burn/exercise.
  • powersgray
    Options
    I also need to pick up a HRM, I suppose. Any opinions on what one to use? Are they actually accurate? Like if I used it on the elliptical, would it be a better reference than the machine's estimation of calories burned?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I also need to pick up a HRM, I suppose. Any opinions on what one to use? Are they actually accurate? Like if I used it on the elliptical, would it be a better reference than the machine's estimation of calories burned?

Elliptical machines are notorious for overestimating your calories burned.

HRM's are for steady-state cardio only, so they're not going to be useful if you're doing a lot of strength training or intervals. But yes it would give you a better reference of your calories burned than the elliptical machine itself.

I think it's important to note, though, that even an HRM is estimating. It's just using much better information than what the machine is using.

I have the Polar FT4 and really like it. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Elliptical machines are notorious for overestimating your calories burned.

HRM's are for steady-state cardio only, so they're not going to be useful if you're doing a lot of strength training or intervals. But yes it would give you a better reference of your calories burned than the elliptical machine itself.

I think it's important to note, though, that even an HRM is estimating. It's just using much better information than what the machine is using.

I have the Polar FT4 and really like it. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas.

all 100% of that ^