How do you avoid a binge????

Options
Hi, I am returning to MFP (again!!) and need help!! How, how, HOW do you stop yourself from binge eating? I do well with exercise, do well during the day with my meals, but come evening I destroy the good I did all day by over eating. I'm so frustrated and sick of not being able to fit into 90% of my clothes! Guys how do you all do it??? I almost have no hope because I have no faith in myself to stick to a day of reasonble calorie consumption. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    quite simply, you put the food down.

there arent any magic answers, its just a matter of being able to do it.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I usually do well at breakfast and lunch - allowing about 500 calories for each meal, trying to incorporate protein, fiber and a little fat so I don't get hungry right away. Still, come dinner I'm usually really hungry, and it's easy to overdo, especially if I've done any resistance training that day, or pushed hard on my workout. I do allow myself to eat back calories spent during my workouts, but I sometimes still think I'm 'hungry' after all my alloted calories are spent. For me, anyway, I think it may not be real hunger - more that my 'full button' is desensitized. Distraction , (like knitting or going for a walk), doesn't always make it go away completely, but it helps me get through it.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the kitchen & pantry. It is way to easy to binge/mindless eating and I have so many red light/trigger foods that can set me off once I dive into the bag (pretzels & chips are my current issues).

I pre plan/pre log all my food for the day in advance, leaving a nice chunk of cals/carbs for nite snacks. This way I can adjust thru the day if I change my mind on a meal or a snack and I leave me enough calories late at nite when the cravings hit.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Set a healthy, realistic, sustainable weight loss goal. (With 24 lb. to go, anything higher than 1 lb. per week is way too aggressive a goal.)

Identify any "trigger" foods, and don't keep large amounts of them at home.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ShannanDope
    Options
    I have been experiencing the SAME horrible set backs! Especially lately...also recovering from E.D. just trying to be healthy again.... its so hatd when you do so well all day only to ruin it at night. Im so bloated after last nights binge episode....ugh. I suppose we arent alone, at least. Support from thr community always helps!
  • ljglivingfree
    ljglivingfree Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Love the ideas! Thank you!
  • PamazonDreams
    PamazonDreams Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have had a problem with binge eating for years, too. I try to force myself to go for a walk - the activity helps curb the urge to eat, eat, eat!! Gets rid of that restless feeling.

When a walk isn't possible or desirable (it's REALLY late, it's pouring, it's -40, it's +40, etc), I drink some carbonated water. I add a splash of lemon or lime if I'm feeling decadent. :wink:

And, just as importantly, I try to remember, when wandering into the kitchen to eat Every. Single. Carb. in sight, that it is NOT a moment of weakness, that it can be a moment of strength. You can walk away. (HUG)!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water. I try to drink a whole bottle first give myself a few minutes then reevaluate. Sometimes, I'm hungry still, and most times I was just bored. Try to go for a walk or do something you have been putting off. Maybe you just need a little distraction and then before you know it, you will have moved on.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The last few nights I've been eating Reese's pieces pastel eggs! They are like these giant sized reese's pieces and are amazing. The serving size is 12 pieces and I try to limit myself to that amount, otherwise I would go over my calorie, carb, and sugar allotment for the day. Not that this is advice that really helps you with your question, but even though I've been pretty diligent in the last month or so, I still get tempted and struggle to control my own urges to binge eat.

Anyway, doesn't it always seem like the cravings come at night? What is that about? I've found that drinking Sleepytime Vanilla tea helps keep the binge tendencies at bay. It has some sweetness to it, so if I lie to myself enough, I can convince myself I'm having a treat! Also, the longer I eat healthier and the more I lose weight, the less I find myself wanting to eat junk food. Hang in there the first few weeks and it'll get better, I promise!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I try to save up calories where I can throughout the day because I also want to snack at night.

When I get a huge urge to binge (which has happened an awful lot the last 2 weeks) I :

Take a shower. I can occupy a lot of time washing/drying/straightening my hair.
    Go for a walk. Even if I still want to eat by the time I get back, at least I'll have worked off some of it!
    Fill up my 800ml water bottle and drink it all before contemplating eating anything.
    Fill up a plate with something like: raspberries, blueberries, grapes, pineapple, clementine, 1/2 banana, strawberries, kiwi, a few pistachios & 20g of cheese. I feel like I'm sitting down to eat a whole load of food but the calories are quite low compared to what I'd spend on a real binge.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I had a bad binge day not too long ago. I am trying to figure out what my triggers are. How do I feel when I want to pig out? Bored? Stressed? Anxious? Am I really even hungry?

I am learning that how I'm feeling has a lot to do with how much I eat. If I'm stressed, worried or depressed, or even lonely, I want comfort and food equals comfort.

So when those cookies look especially tempting, I try to take account of how I'm feeling and whether there's another way other than breaking my diet that I can deal with it. A hot lavender scented bath. A phone call to my mom. Yoga. A walk with my dog. These are some of the things that are working for me. I also love to surf these forums (and others). Read success stories here, they make you feel good and give you inspiration.
  • bwats33
    bwats33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me, it's obvious when I'm actually hungry.....if I'm not getting the 'stomach' feeling of hunger, then I know it's just the munchies (psychological hunger). When I have the munchies, the goal is to do something to take my mind off it:

Exercise, drink lots of water, coffee, go for a drive, go for a walk, clean the house, ride my bike, call a friend, etc....

Generally it has to be something active.....reading or watching TV doesn't usually help.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Coming from a notorious former binge eater, whenever I feel an insatiable craving coming on these are some strategies that I have found helpful for me so far:

1.) Recognize why I want to binge. Am I procrastinating something? Bored? Anxious?

2.) Address whatever problem I'm avoiding, and recognize that eating won't solve anything. Eating will not make my paper write itself. It won't make my life more interesting, only fill it with even more negative feelings such as disappointment and regret. It won't "solve" my relationship problems, etc. Change whatever needs to be changed. Eating isn't helping you. Are you mad at someone? Who are you hurting by eating? You, or them? Talking is key. When you can't talk, jog. Find something else to do, ANYTHING else. Distracting yourself from the thought of food is helpful, but solving the issue is more efficient.

3.) INDULGE. If the above suggestion still isn't helping, and you simple CANNOT stop thinking about food, EAT. Are you maybe not eating enough? Starving yourself will naturally make you crave food, you know. Are you still eating enough, and will overeating only hinder your efforts of weight loss or maintenance? Then seek out lower calorie options that will satisfy your craving and fill you up. Diet hot cocoa and unsweetened almond milk was my best friend for a long time (20-25 calories per pack, and 30 calories per cup of milk). However, with it getting warmer out I can feel my ice cream cravings kicking in. For this, I seek out Arctic Zero's 150 calorie Cookies & Cream Frozen Dessert Pints. Honestly, that thing will fill you up, and is wonderful for allowing you to eat the entire thing without hating yourself. It also fills you due to so much fiber as well, so don't worry about still being hungry. If you have more calories than that, though, So Delicious has a No Sugar Added Coconut Milk Ice Cream line which I am addicted to (especially the vanilla!). 400 Calories for the entire pint isn't too bad, or you could be good and measure out a 1/2 cup portion for 100 calories, as it suggests for those with more discipline.
    You may not like either of the above options I listed, but that's a whole part of this journey. Finding options that work for you, and narrowing down the ones that don't. Once you find something though, it gets a lot easier!

But you have to remember, everyone is different. What works for me, may not work for you, and vice versa. Overcoming a binge can be done though, and you can do it! Even if you start slipping and find yourself in the middle of one, you don't have to finish it. I know it's hard. Once you're already binging, it's way too easy to get into the mindset of "oh well, I may as well finish, nothing I can do now." That is the FIRST thing you need to change! Putting down that last cookie DOES make a difference! You can save yourself some serious calories just by forcing yourself to leave a binge.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I steadily eat a large amount of food all day so there is no such thing as a binge...no shame.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Not sure what is meant by "binge" here.
    If you are really struggling with food, maybe just set your calories to maintenance and eat that amount. Try to get in a little extra exercise. On days when you feel strong, eat at a deficit. Then at least you will be stabilizing your eating habits/drives.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if the momentary pleasure is going to be worth the inevitable self-recrimination afterwards!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I plan my day, and log my food in the morning before breakfast, with my morning coffee.
    That way, I know exactly where I am.

I can change things throughout the day, but I know that if I add something, I have to take something else away.
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like to have herbal chocolate teas at night if I am craving chocolate. They have no calories as far as I can tell. That often takes care of the urge to have dessert by itself. Also if I am really feeling the urge to eat some sweet thing high in calories, I like to do a little exercise first. If after exercising, you still want it, then I figure I am actually truly hungry, plus I have burned off some of the calories. And then I combine that high calorie treat with low calorie food. So I'll have one small piece of chocolate, a bunch of berries and a cup of hot tea instead of 3-4 pieces of chocolate.
  • ally_land
    ally_land Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my blog posts. Not sure if it will help, but I am a fully recovered binge eater and no longer struggle with food at all.

Human nature is to avoid pain and seek pleasure. When we restrict food and become hungry....it doesn't feel good. By nature....we then move towards pleasure. This is where the binge comes in. The binge becomes our body's natural solution to this painful, joy-less restricting of food.

To overcome binge eating....we must not bring ourself to a place of pain such as restricting food. When hungry.....EAT! Just stop eating when no longer hungry and do not fill emotional hungers with food.

Restriction = bingeing. Eat what you truly desire, stop eating when you are no longer hungry, and you are well on your way to overcoming binge eating.