Help ... need smoothie recipes and side dish recipes

Options
emmaleigh47
emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
Hopefully Santa is bringing me my Ninja that I asked for, so I want to start making smoothies in the morning and taking them with me on my drive to work.

Side dishes -- I like chicken and pork chops and salmon and stuff like that ... but then totally struggle with what to put them with. No salads because my husband will not eat them.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is very simple. It's just frozen strawberries, a fresh banana and orange juice.

If you do get that Ninja, be extremely careful when handling the blade. I've read tons of reviews (my husband doesn't want to pay $450 for a VitaMix and is always trying to find something cheaper) and a lot of people have cut themselves badly because the blade is so sharp.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    the smoothie I make in the morning is 1/2 cup of light vanilla soy, 1/4 cup liquid egg whites, 3 good sized frozen strawberries, about 3-4 frozen peach slices and half of a banana.
  • HRgoldenlife
    HRgoldenlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do almond milk (vanilla), frozen tropical fruit, or a frozen banana, etc and add in some flaxseed meal or wheat germ. Yummy
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Will your husband eat wild rice?

If so you can cook up 1/2-3/4 cup (dry) of wild rice or a wild rice blend. In a large skillet mix about a cup of low sodium broth (Trader Joes has some great low sodium broth available), a cup of water (add more if needed) and add a couple of tablespoons of nonfat sour cream and a couple of wedges of laughing cow light (I use swiss), whisk this all together and then add the rice along with some chopped vegetables ( I use zucchini, onion, fresh spinach, baby bella mushrooms and bell peppers). I season it up with Garam Masala, freshly ground pepper a couple of Garlic cloves and NuSalt. Of course your tastes may differ so feel free to season however you'd like.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    My smoothie I have every morning is

1 cup frozen sliced strawberries
    1 banana
    1/2 cup Dannon All Natural Vanilla Yogurt
    1/2 cup Skim Milk

It's very tasty.

When they're cheaper I mix it up with Raspberries & Peaches, Blueberries & Strawberries and all of them I always throw in a banana.
  • Charlie001
    Options
    It is called "King Kong".

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 banana
    2 tbsp of peanut butter
    2 cups chocolate soy milk.
  • pursuinghappiness
    Options
    I have two go to smoothies:

Chocolate Peanut butter shake:

1 cup milk (almond, cow, whatever you drink)
    1 scoop of protein powder ( I use EAS vanilla)
    1 TBS peanut butter
    1 banana
    1 TBS coco powder
    1 TBS coconut oil (optional)
    1 TBS chia seeds or flax seed
    ice

Berry Protein shake:

1 cup milk (again, whatever you choose)
    1/2 cup Kefir (plain)
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 TBS coconut oil
    1 TBS chia seeds
    1/2 to 1 cup frozen mixed berries

I had a berry shake post workout today and it was DELICIOUS!!

As far as side dishes:

Most veggies are delicious sauteed with olive oil, spices or roasted or grilled (if you have one)
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my chocolate shakeology with lowfat milk, some lowfat egg nog and then either a bananna or strawberries. even a candycane to give a christmas touch.

Pretty much, a blender makes anything taste good!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    It is called "King Kong".

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 banana
    2 tbsp of peanut butter
    2 cups chocolate soy milk.

That sounds awesome!
  • shannonichole
    Options
    Vegetables sauteed with garlic and a little lemon juice.

Noodles with a little olive oil, sauteed mushrooms and parsley (also works well as a main dish).

Broccoli, Bacon and apple salad: Mix minced garlic, light-mayo, light sour cream, cider vinegar, pepper, and a tiny bit of sugar in a bowl. Add broccoli, chopped apple, dried cranberry's, and bacon to another bowl. Coat with the dressing. You can use the broccoli fresh or slightly blanched.

Cream corn, coconut milk, cilantro and a little lime juice.

Sweet potatoes coated with a little cooking spray and rosemary.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 scoop chocolate peanut butter protein
    1 cup almond milk

optional 1 cup baby spinach

It's super thick, I find, so adding some water helps if you want to drink it on the go. I use the Ninja Master Prep Pro and it works great. Never had a problem with the blades.

Good luck!
  • willowglimmer
    Options
    BumP
  • apfeiff
    apfeiff Posts: 39
    Options
    Hopefully Santa is bringing me my Ninja that I asked for, so I want to start making smoothies in the morning and taking them with me on my drive to work.

Side dishes -- I like chicken and pork chops and salmon and stuff like that ... but then totally struggle with what to put them with. No salads because my husband will not eat them.

Thanks so much!

Ideally, if you already have the protein taken care of, you should do some kind of vegetable. I LOOOVE sauteed mushrooms or sauteed zucchini. Anytime I saute veggies I use low sodium, low fat chicken broth. And I usually add some fresh minced garlic and sprinkle it with some garlic salt. I'm getting hungry just THINKING about it! Try asparagus or just about any other veggie!

I also buy the bags of "Steamfresh" veggies for a quick side dish.
  • angelsouthernbelle
    angelsouthernbelle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    soy chicken and cabbage

chop cabbage place in large frying pan
    add 1/2 cup soy sauce and stir cook till tender on medium low temp.
    place 4 chicken breast on a cookie sheet bake in oven on 350 sprinkle with favorite seasoning, i use Lipton garlic soup mix and 1/2 cup water mixed in a bowl and brush on top while cooking. cook till done cook no-yolk pasta regularly drain and rinse add to soy cabbage and stir. chicken can be meat dish or chopped into cubes and added to soy cabbage and pasta for a main dish. low sodium soy can be substituted if sodium is problem. makes enough for family of 4