125lbs in 365 days in Ohio...the meat, potatoes and bread ca

Options
Ok so today I woke up to a new found motivation. A very dear and close friend of mine, one of the best friends I have ever had (the one who introduced me to MFP) sent me a photo of herself. Down something like 60 pounds, she is smaller than she has been since marrying her now EX-husband. I realized that I had to get a handle on my weight. I have been wallowing in me self pity and depression, self medicating with food and sweets. Granted, I had emergency surgery after suddenly moving 2300 miles away from my family and friends and have found the 50 pounds I lost 2 years ago creaping back on. But if SHE can do it, then I can do it. I think it was easier to lose weight as a single working mom than it is being a stay at home mom. SIGH All I have is me and the fridge. With all my friends on the West Coast, I have no one to hang out with and walk with when my kids are at school. The few people I DO know here in Ohio are all working mom's and ladies or are just on some new fad diet kick to drop pounds. It ISN'T a lifestyle change for them...and that is how the weight comes back on! Believe me I know! I'm going to suddenly go Vegetarian, give up carbs or go all liquid just to drop the weight as fast as I can. I want to make the necessary changes to lose weight and still eat the things I love and to be able to go out with friends and not have to be all snippy about where because I can't eat anything. ANNOYING! Having grown up in California I find that my tastes and pallet is different from most people here in the Midwest. I LOVE sushi and all sorts of "weird" foods. I lived in Japan for 2 years! We don't have restaurants here in Ohio that we have in California...which had made it EASY to feed my kids and lose weight. I miss Daphne's Greek Cafe, Jamba Juice, Ruby's, El Pollo Loco, In N Out and Del Taco. :( At least I have Whole Foods and Trader Joe's here....it is just a 30 minute drive at least!

I'm tired of feeling like a beached whale and avoiding a swimsuit. I'm tired of being the fat chick and skinny b*tches thinking they can flirt with my husband. I'm tired of stuffing and shoving myself into my wardrobe. I'm DONE making excuses. The new year is coming and I'm ready to be and AFTER picture.

So, here is the goal:
125 lbs in 365 days
That's
125 lbs in 52 weeks
Which is
2.5 pounds per week on average

Not an easy goal at all....but if I set it, and I stick to it...for REAL... I should be able to get CLOSE to it in the least. Right? Sure it would be easier if I had friends to do it with...but I'm afraid it might be a beast I must fight alone.

So, does anyone else have a HUGE goal? Anyone want to join me in mine? Support, Motivation, Walking partners, recipe swaps would all be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    You go girl....................oh, and you have friends here if you want them:bigsmile:
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you set your mind to, this journey is a tough one but it sounds like you are fully aware of that. Be prepared to be happy with your progress but be prepared to be frustrated when it gets tough. When that happens that is what we are here for. Help you get through the plateaus and rejoice with all the victories on this ride! Like I said one time "it's a good thing I like to travel cause this journey is taking forever!" LOL!

Take care!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    It's hard to move away from your family and friends. Can make you feel lonely and trust me that food won't fill the void.

If you miss those restaurants then maybe you should try cooking some of your favorite recipes from those places. Become your own Jamba Juice (I love that place and there aren't any where I moved either).

I found when I started making my food after dishes that I loved to eat, it was fun and I was able to learn how to cook a bit healthier as well. Check out Rocco's book, it takes food and redesigned the recipes to make them way lower in fat and calories.

I think that having your goal is a good one, might be a bit lofty but as long as you are excited and committed I'm sure you can make it happen. :)

Good luck on your journey and feel free to give a shout out whenever you need some pushing/help.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have 75lbs to lose to reach my GOAL weight. I am with you all the way starting January 1st... And i agree you will have TONS of friends here to keep you motivated.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My goal isn't as big as yours, but I'd REALLY love to see the 140s at some point in 2011, which would mean about 60-65 more lbs lost. You can do it! Even if you only lose 10, 20, 50 lbs, it will still be weight lost never to come back! Don't concentrate on the numbers, just concentrate on getting healthy. :)
  • EmyleeNoel
    EmyleeNoel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I realize it is a very large goal...and I'm fully aware that most likely losing that amount in a year is not going to happen. Honestly, I would be eleated with 40 pounds in a year. But think about it....they tell us that 1.5-2 pounds a week is healthy and average. SO I figure, if I can lose at least 100 pounds in a year, I'm on that average. :)

Great ideas for making my own foods that remind me of the food I miss in CA. :) Going to have to see what I can dig up. I have TONS of books by WW and stuff...vegetarian, Irish, Japanese cookbooks galore. I guess it is time to dig them out...the DH is just going to have to deal with it and get used to eating this way. He is from Ohio and doesn't have the complex pallet you have to have living in CA. lol

Good luck to you all on your goals. I hope that everyone will keep in touch so we can all help keep each other motivated. :)
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that has lost 160 and it was done in less than 2 years..not exactly sure how many months past that one year....but she did it..and the healthy way! you can too! and this is a great place to be!