Exercising while feeling "under the weather?"

Options
Does anyone have an opinion about exercising while feeling "under the weather?" My son has been sick for the last few days with a cold? I have been feeling really tired with the some of the same symptoms as him. Is it a good idea to exercise while feeling like I'm coming down with a cold? I've only began this weight loss journey on MFP for the last 7 days. I wonder if it would be okay to go for a short walk???

Replies

• kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I have a cold (or other minor illness), I go. Honestly when I have a cold I almost (90%) always feel better after a workout. I might not go as long or as hard, but it gives me more energy and often clears out the sinuses etc. Lace up your shoes and try a short walk, if it doesn't go well you can always stop.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I always do my workout anyway, I usually feel better for it. Except when I had bronchitis, then I gave it a miss until the antibiotics were complete.
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am sick. Low temperature, low blood pressure, exhausted mentally and physically and freezing all the time. I can't force myself to get on the treadmill, but I have been walking our puppy every day. I would like to say it makes me feel better but it doesn't, but the puppy is enjoying our walks so I will keep it up until it kills me.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Depending on how severely sick you are, go for it. I've been sick for over a month and off and on so many antibiotics I can't even count any more so I just decided I'm going to tough it out and keep working out. I may feel overly exhausted after doing it, but I get a confidence boost that I'm still able to do it. As another poster said, you may not be able to do it as long or as hard as you can, but you definitely can do little things. The little things go a long way in the grand scheme of things.
  • AppalachianGal
    Options
    @ Yendsidtoon - have you have your thyroid levels checked OR could you be anemic? If you haven't already, I hope you see your doctor and feel better soon!
  • AppalachianGal
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to take a walk. Maybe the fresh air and sunshine might make me feel better? I plan to take it easy on my body, but even just light exercise might give my immune system a boost. I've been drinking lemon-infused water all day for the Vitamin C and took 4000 mg of Vitamin D3 as well as my Multi-Vitamin. Hopefully, these symptoms will improve without causing a secondary infection in my body.
  • yensidtoon
    Options
    @ Yendsidtoon - have you have your thyroid levels checked OR could you be anemic? If you haven't already, I hope you see your doctor and feel better soon!

I don't have a thyroid and was just tested, I am not anemic. Doctor is not sure what is going on. But as I said, I am forcing myself to walk to better than nothing.
  • yensidtoon
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to take a walk. Maybe the fresh air and sunshine might make me feel better? I plan to take it easy on my body, but even just light exercise might give my immune system a boost. I've been drinking lemon-infused water all day for the Vitamin C and took 4000 mg of Vitamin D3 as well as my Multi-Vitamin. Hopefully, these symptoms will improve without causing a secondary infection in my body.

When I have a cold, a walk always feels good. Not too stressful, but especially at this time of year, things are growing, the temperatures are warming and it will be fun.