substitutes for what we used to eat

Options
124»

Replies

• sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I've tried to make my own fries so many times, they always stuck to the foil and never end up crispy. I don't know why. Those look good though.
    Did you try letting them soak in cold water for about 20 minutes then drying them with kitchen paper so they lose some starch? I usually do it, but when I don't have time and I just throw them in the oven I definitely notice a difference.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Chips, or fries as you would say in America. Peel a potato you might call a jacket potato, cut it into chips, par boil, drain, put on a baking tray cover in one calorie spray, bake in the oven, chips without frying :-)

I never fry my chips, always done in the oven.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I've tried to make my own fries so many times, they always stuck to the foil and never end up crispy. I don't know why. Those look good though.
    Did you try letting them soak in cold water for about 20 minutes then drying them with kitchen paper so they lose some starch? I usually do it, but when I don't have time and I just throw them in the oven I definitely notice a difference.

Thanks for the tip!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

Definitely what they said, plus the rack trick. THE LEVEL OF CRISP WILL BE MIND BLOWING! haha
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here. Everyone has their own way and what works for them. Some do not give up or change any food they eat, only the amount, which is fine for them. Others can not eat certain foods without overdoing it, so they choose to replace it with something else. I personally think this is great as well. I'm enjoying this thread, getting some great substitution ideas!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The biggest change I've made is making many of the things I eat myself. So if I want pancakes, I make them myself rather than use a mix, or if I want chicken fingers, I oven-fry them myself rather than buy frozen.

That said, I still also have the non-homemade versions of foods. Sometimes I make my pizza, other times I order it. Being at maintenance and being pretty active definitely helps, though, since I can eat about 2700 - 2800 calories a day.

By making things at home I can make simple adjustments that help out. Every Sunday I make homemade waffles for the family (again subbing 1/2 the oil for applesauce!) No one notices! LOL Or 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese for frosting on cupcakes!

I steam the veggies rather than saute in oil - or sometimes add a little soy sauce, or something to it. Tasty, yet less oil

I bake fries at home (still eat the fried ones if we go out)

Sometimes I just use less when following a recipe (use 1/2 the butter in Rice-a-Roni - no one will notice) We drink 2% milk at home, but I buy 1% for cooking (mac n cheese) (no one can quite get used skim yet)

Usually the simple replacements are the easiest - and if no one is the wiser - why not make it a little healthier.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Less of the same thing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I get so sad when I hear about people who decided not to eat something they love anymore.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I make my own ice cream, yoghurt and sorbets instead of buying the high sugar versions from the supermarket. I think my versions are much yummier as they are not so sickenly sweet and full of fake flavours and preservatives.

It baffles me that people actually think they have tricked themselves into thinking something is "sickenly sweet" Get over yourself YOU STILL ENJOY ICE CREAM. if you didnt you wouldn't be freezing yogurt and calling it "ice cream" just my $.02 :)