5' 3.5", 138 lbs, Would Like To Start Lifting ~ Suggestions?

Options
Hi. I am a mid-40's female who primarily walks, does Zumba, and barre exercises. Would like to incorporate lifting now that I am closer to goal (GW: 120-125 lbs.)

I am not working right now, so a gym membership is out of the question. I know what my 24-y-o son tells me to buy, but he has an expensive shopping list. I have a Total Gym that I used after a failed back surgery, so would love if you have suggestions where I could use it, or other reasonable suggestions. Would like to keep purchases down, since I plan on relocating this summer/fall.

Any suggestions out there?

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    What about a $10/month membership at one of those local chain type gyms? They don't usually have a squat rack or cage, but plenty of dumbbells, cables, and benches. That would be cheaper than buying anything on your own, if price point is your most important factor.

Otherwise, even just a set of used adjustable dumbbells will run you well over $100.
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm in for suggestions. I've seen the awesome results people on here have had with heavy lifting so I have been studying on it. I priced a barbell and 100 lbs worth of weights at walmart yesterday for $44. Seemed like a bargain but I'm not sure if it's all I would need? I'm really oblivious to weight lifting but have been watching videos and trying to gather information on mfp...
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    $44 bucks for 100 pounds of weight is pretty good, but 100 pounds of weight is not a lot, honestly. At both of your ages and weights, and assuming you have no major medical issues, you can probably do your first deadlifts at 95 pounds.

Additionally, if you have a barbell, you will need a power cage in order to do all the lifts safely. Cages are pretty pricey, even used.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    <<<<<<<.....5'3".....almost 44 years old.....130lb......I started lifting with Chalean Extreme DVD from beachbody....I can't afford an ongoing gym membership either but I invested in a set of Bowflex Select Tech dumbbells and I love them....dial up heavy to work the legs with squats, deadlifts etc and dial down lighter for the arms.....I also have Brazil Butt Lift program which has little bit of sculpting....I bought two books.....New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler and Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building and Better Butt and Body by Bret Contreras....they use more than dumbbells but I just do the exercises that I can....the information alone in the books is worth buying them.....feel free to add me.....good luck with your lifting....:)
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you've never lifted before, you can probably start out with an exercise mat (about 12-14 dollars), a set of 5 lb dumbbells, (about 15 dollars) and a set of 10 pound dumbbells (about 25 dollars). You can do quite a few good weightlifting routines on a budget 50-60 dollars, depending on where you go to make your purchase. As your body gets stronger, you can then begin to invest in heavier weights. There are so many other strength and conditioning exercises you can do without weights as well. In fact, many exercises that don't require weights are probably a lot more challenging and get you some really good defintion. Here's a site with a lot of good workouts that can get you started. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    What about a $10/month membership at one of those local chain type gyms? They don't usually have a squat rack or cage, but plenty of dumbbells, cables, and benches. That would be cheaper than buying anything on your own, if price point is your most important factor.

I live in a very rural area. The one 'local' gym is 30 miles away, and $65/month for a single membership.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Thank you so far for the suggestions. Next time I go 'to town to WalMart', which is a 3 hour 1 way drive... I will definitely look at those!
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    $44 bucks for 100 pounds of weight is pretty good, but 100 pounds of weight is not a lot, honestly. At both of your ages and weights, and assuming you have no major medical issues, you can probably do your first deadlifts at 95 pounds.

Additionally, if you have a barbell, you will need a power cage in order to do all the lifts safely. Cages are pretty pricey, even used.

No major medical issues, but I do have to keep in mind the failed back surgery.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary to go crazy on buying equipment in order to start lifting. I'm not familiar with a Total Gym or whatever you called it, but if it provides you with a range of resistances and exercises for a number of your muscles, I bet it's not a bad thing to start with. Try to choose exercises that work a range of muscles and work larger muscle groups.

In addition, since equipment availability and price seem to be your biggest issue, check out bodyweight strength training exercises. They're not technically lifting, but they will build strength. Try You Are Your Own Gym, or look around YouTube to get started. Once you're a master of those, you may find it more necessary to invest in weights.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary to go crazy on buying equipment in order to start lifting. I'm not familiar with a Total Gym or whatever you called it, but if it provides you with a range of resistances and exercises for a number of your muscles, I bet it's not a bad thing to start with. Try to choose exercises that work a range of muscles and work larger muscle groups.

In addition, since equipment availability and price seem to be your biggest issue, check out bodyweight strength training exercises. They're not technically lifting, but they will build strength. Try You Are Your Own Gym, or look around YouTube to get started. Once you're a master of those, you may find it more necessary to invest in weights.

^^^^^ This^^^^ Darn good advice.
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    thanks, fivethreeone! there's no way I would've thought I could lift that much but then again I just learned what a deadlift is. I normally work out with 10 pound dumbbells. I was afraid I would need one of those racks but wasn't sure. I read your blog but couldn't see the pics for some reason. Sounds like you had awesome results!
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you so far for the suggestions. Next time I go 'to town to WalMart', which is a 3 hour 1 way drive... I will definitely look at those!

You can order that online and have it delivered to your house.
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    thanks, fivethreeone! there's no way I would've thought I could lift that much but then again I just learned what a deadlift is. I normally work out with 10 pound dumbbells. I was afraid I would need one of those racks but wasn't sure. I read your blog but couldn't see the pics for some reason. Sounds like you had awesome results!

Oh thanks! If you couldn't see the blog photos, you might be able to see the photos here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1090814-one-year-can-change-your-life-pic-heavy

Just make sure that you're focusing on form. Get a copy of Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength and watch youtube videos of proper deadlift form.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Oh thanks! If you couldn't see the blog photos, you might be able to see the photos here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1090814-one-year-can-change-your-life-pic-heavy

Just make sure that you're focusing on form. Get a copy of Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength and watch youtube videos of proper deadlift form.

You're hot and stuff :) *mwah*
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options

Oh my, now THAT'S the kind of body that is inspiring to me!! You look fabulous!!

Off to study more... I have LOTS to learn ;-)
  • Shaystack
    Shaystack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    following this thread. I have a lot in common with the original poster. 5'3", 138, 31 female. I live in a very rural area as well. Gym membership would be the next county over and not in the budget at this time. I did womens weight training in college and was in the best shape of my life. Currently I have been focusing on better eating habits and walking, I try to walk at least sixty minutes a day. I have been losing weight but more importantly I want to be toned and have the strength I had back when I was lifting.