Falling off the wagon too early..

Options
11 days in and feeling like I"m falling off the wagon already..

I started out with gusto! This was going to be "THE" time I got it right! Monday night I went out after work with coworkers for a "goodbye" dinner for a coworker leaving to move to Florida. We went to a Chinese buffet (I love CHINESE!). I ate light all day to compensate for going out to eat (BIG MISTAKE). I ate wrong and paid the price that night. Now I'm paying an even higher price as I started to think about tossing in the towel and resigning to be fat! NO, this is not what I want but yet, it does seem to be the easier option.

Has anyone been there and overcame it? What did you do?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
  • bease418
    bease418 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very day is a new day. You didn't gain weight because of one day. Relax this is about lifestyle change. Get back on the wagon. Don't punish yourself and get going.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Dust yourself off and keep going. Learn from the mistake you made. Your best option would have been to eat normally all day and only have smaller tastes of things at the Chinese buffet.
  • cmskingsley
    cmskingsley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time lol. I just look in the mirror and tell myself NO and start fresh the next day. I learned to never say "I'll get back on 100% on Monday" because I was saying that every Monday. Once you start seeing the lbs come off again it makes you feel better. You WILL have slip ups along the journey, just get back on it.
  • pattyht
    pattyht Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! This last year, I think I have started my healthy eating/living plan at least 6 times. I do good for about a month to month and a half and then I fall off for a week or two sometimes a month. It is so irritating because I know what I need to do, I have lost 150 lbs in the past and now I have hit 25 pounds gained back that I had lost and kept of for almost 5 years. It is just so hard this time. UGH
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! Man do I know that feeling.... It seems like every time I start out really great I get discouraged really fast. I've been back on for 8 days now. One thing that is really helping me is a Fitbit! It keeps me accountable, adjusts my allowed calories based on my movements, and gives me small daily goals that are easy to attain! My mom and sister are also using them and it helps with my competitive nature :)

You just have to find what works for you! And, sometimes it's okay to not do the best 100%! One night of chinese shouldn't be enough to derail you. 3 steps forward and 2 steps back is STILL 1 step forward.

Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • ChrisRiches
    Options
    You went 11 days before allowing yourself a free day! Good for you!!!!! Now get back on your program, and don't forget to allow yourself a break once in a while. Next "cheat day", or "free day", or whatever you choose to call it, just make sure you enjoy every bite without recrimination, and the next day, get back in the saddle. You can do it - just believe in yourself.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It happened to me a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I felt so disgusted with myself. Like you, I wanted to just give up. To be honest, I have some awesome MFP friends who told me that it's normal and life isn't over because I screwed up. I made up my mind to hit the reset button and I started over the next day. In almost 7 months, it was my first and only slip up. It happens. You lose when you decide to let it defeat you.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There will be days like that. You need to be true to your food diary for yourself. Make a note at the bottom of it so that you know what was going on and then move forward. You can do this and will feel so good about yourself when you do, do this. Don't beat yourself up too bad. You did good for 11 days. That is the positive thing about it. Try to always find a positive and it will help you out day by day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Chinese food, and eating it will not keep you fat. Being overly-restrictive with your food intake will lead to nothing but binges and self-loathing. Eat 90% healthy and allow yourself reasonable and occasional treats, and you will be fine.
  • Mar_11
    Mar_11 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your positive replies! You are all correct! I can't let one day DEFINE ME! It was DAILY bad choices that led me to MFP, not just one. I need to let that one go and move on! Much love to you all for taking the time to respond!
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Chinese food, and eating it will not keep you fat. Being overly-restrictive with your food intake will lead to nothing but binges and self-loathing. Eat 90% healthy and allow yourself reasonable and occasional treats, and you will be fine.

What she said...
  • nmpx
    nmpx Posts: 76
    Options
    The past weekend was my birthday weekend and I headed home to celebrate. Ended up being lots of fun but HORRIBLE on my weight loss goals. As hard as it is to "start over" I just had to pick up where I left off and push through it. I logged everything, the good, the bad, the atrocious. Believe it or not, it helped me jump back on majorly! It was so bad I totally undone by whole week of work but this journey is not a race, it's a marathon. You're gonna have slip ups, just don't let them define who you are on this journey. :) Accept it and move on as soon as possible. Easier said than done but your future self will thank you for it!
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's okay to not be 'perfect'. :)

One of the biggest lessons I learned along my own journey was that if you slip up, it doesn't ruin the entire day, or the week.....you simply get back on track with the very next thing that goes into your mouth!