500 calories? Really?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    A boneless skinless chicken breast (typically 4oz of meat) is about 130 calories...certainly not 500.

Edit: most of the time I buy chicken breast I think they are actually technically half-breasts. So I guess I should say a half breast is usually around 4 oz.

Chicken breast is a very lean protein and if you ate 500 calories worth of it you would be very full indeed. I usually find two of those (8oz) in a tortilla is a good sized meal for me.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    whats the add on - cooking with oil? marinating? etc. because that is where the calorie are hidden
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ETA: chicken breast doesn't lose much weight in cooking. When I cook beef, it usually reduces in weight by about 25%, but chicken tends to stay the same.

Reason for this is beef is typically fatty and as you cook the fat melts and runs off the meat so the meat shrinks and weighs less after cooking.

Chicken breast is very lean so it loses hardly anything when you cook it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I want some of your breasts. Impressive weight.

That didn't sound quite right.
  • lbsNirvana
    lbsNirvana Posts: 18 Member
    Options

to us men, that sounded too right..
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Yeah I weighed them. Each one is about 13.5 ounces average. This is uncooked so I'm assuming it HAS to lose some water weight when cooking because that's ridiculous.

If you weighed the chicken breast you should really know what each one weighs exactly. Saying " each one is about 13.5 ounces on average ", sounds more like guesswork, because scales give you an exact weight and not just an average,
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    That 13oz chicken breast is really 2-6oz servings. A 6oz serving is about 250-300 calories - not really a big deal. This is just one example of why PORTION SIZE is so critical to weight loss.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That 13oz chicken breast is really 2-6oz servings. A 6oz serving is about 250-300 calories - not really a big deal. This is just one example of why PORTION SIZE is so critical to weight loss.

This, that chicken breast is a double serving in my opinion!
  • struttdaddy
    Options
    Just scan the barcode on the packaging with your smart phone through the Myfitnesspal app, that will give you the correct info.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Good grief, when I still ate meat, mine usually only came in at around 290 calories roasted.
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    Options

LOL...perv.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Is one boneless skinless chicken breast really almost 500 calories? I wanted one whole breast with some rice and veggies for dinner, but according to calculations it's almost 500 calories for one breast? What?

Please tell me it's just water weight.

cut that in half, it should be around 200 calories
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    That's a big ole chicken breast girl. You could eat that for 2 meals. If you're trying to increase your protein consumption, my I suggest cod fish? I just discovered it this past week, 8 oz has 25 grams of protein, its low in sodium and fat, girl I've been eating it all week..just sayin.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd just divide it into three portions that way I can have about four ounces at once with my meal. See if I'm hungry after I finish AFTER waiting AT LEAST 20 minutes. If I'm still hungry, have a second portion of the three. Problem solved, not eating 500 calories worth of chicken. That would just be chicken overload.

Unless I make fajitas. Then there's never enough chicken. :laugh:
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yeah I weighed them. Each one is about 13.5 ounces average. This is uncooked so I'm assuming it HAS to lose some water weight when cooking because that's ridiculous.

If you weighed the chicken breast you should really know what each one weighs exactly. Saying " each one is about 13.5 ounces on average ", sounds more like guesswork, because scales give you an exact weight and not just an average,

They were a total of 3.35 lbs, and all relatively the same size. After weighing them they came in at 13.4, 13.8, 13.6 and 13.2. I think it's safe to say the average was 13.5.
    That's a big ole chicken breast girl. You could eat that for 2 meals. If you're trying to increase your protein consumption, my I suggest cod fish? I just discovered it this past week, 8 oz has 25 grams of protein, its low in sodium and fat, girl I've been eating it all week..just sayin.

I haven't had fish in so long...Mmm-MMM I love me some fish! I don't think I've had cod more than once in my life. I'll have to hit up the manager's specials at the store and see if I can find some! Thank you so much!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This.

Everything in moderation.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half, but it cut weird. Ended up with an almost 8 oz portion so I just said it was 8 oz.

God I didn't realize how much meat that was. Jeez those things were huge.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    IIFYM?

I kid, I kid.

But 500 calories of lean protein is likely to fill you up for a LONG time.