"Fake" meat products for vegetarians, your opinion please

Options
So I have been an on and off again vegetarian for most of my life. Now I am taking vegetarianism seriously and wondered are there any healthy low fat fake meat products?. I was going over my past meals on MFP and was a little shocked how it adds up. I love morning star and Boca but I am a little skeptical if they are healthy alternatives. That morning star bacon is like crack.... lol. I use the products to get protein mostly ( I also eat beans, nuts, leafy greens, chickpeas, almond milk, seeds). I just feel like I am not getting enough protein in my diet. I am always short when it comes to protein and too high when it comes to fat. HELP!

Replies

• YukiValentine
    YukiValentine Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know the feel. My obsession is Gardein Chicken Tenders. I just realized when logging it into MFP how much sodium it takes! If I find something I'll be sure to tell you!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was doing vegetarianism until I found out that cutting that much protein and fat from my diet is just way too dangerous for a hypoglycemic.

Either way I LOVED Gardein products. I make my own black bean burgers and lentil burgers though.
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i am a vegetarian too. I love Quorn products (when I can find them on sale). i haven't had any of their products that I haven't liked, but my favorite would be the chik'n tenders. They are only 90 calories per serving with 10 grams of protein. The sodium can get a bit high if you are eating a ton, but I love throwing them into whatever I am making.
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that "vegetarians" go out of their way to try and duplicate meat with fake meat products in order to satiate a craving and a desire that is inherently engrained in us as a species....and YET, I have never as an omnivorous being gone out of my way to find "substitutes" for any food groups whatsoever. Kind of interesting. :wink:
  • courtneyparsons
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a few years, and I can't stand fake meat. I would rather eat all the other food groups :) My exceptions are "veggie burgers" which the kind I eat aren't trying to be like meat or taste like meat, they're just patty shaped vegetarian food.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I like the gardenburger black bean chipolte burgers and I use large portabello mushroom caps like meat, yummy
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    gimme lean is the leanest I know of. 60 cals/ 0 fat for the gimme lean sausage
    wildwood tofu superfirm 130 cals 7g fat
    wu chung chai pow yu (wheat gluten) 196 cals/ 16g fat

you might look for products made from konjac (yams)

for example sophies kitche vegan shrimp have 50 cals / 0 fat
    shirataki noodles are made from the same thing and have 0-20 cals

bobs red mill dry tvp is 80 cals/ 0g fat
    in a pinch you can also use grape nuts cereal as tvp... not sure of the nutritional value of doing so... real tvp is probably better for you and cheaper but ive put it into sauces and it works the same way.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat these products.

http://dragonflyfoods.com/
  • stiobhard
    Options
    I find it ironic that "vegetarians" go out of their way to try and duplicate meat with fake meat products in order to satiate a craving and a desire that is inherently engrained in us as a species....and YET, I have never as an omnivorous being gone out of my way to find "substitutes" for any food groups whatsoever. Kind of interesting. :wink:

I was just talking to someone about this very point. here is my take:

meat substitutes i feel have a long tradition... most directly they come from buddhist and taoist traditions but i think it also taps into century old tendencies in european cooking...in the 14th and 15th centuries english and french cooks made what was called spectacle foods... "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie" is a reference to that. they used to fabricate impossible dishes like a cooked cockatrice (a kind of dragon i think) or mock offal/organs either from other kinds of meat like chicken or from dried fruits and nuts... beyond this the french are famous for forming different "creatures" out of an almond paste called marzipan. its a great trick used by movies if an an actor has to eat something on film. Also there were lots of fasting days in the catholic church, so on these days they prepared almond milk and almond cheese.
  • Munn0025
    Munn0025 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i personally love boca vegan burgers... mainly because they are so quick to make, low in calories, and i can dress them up with veggies and lower fat condiments and they are magically delicious and filling... the bad thing though is that anything processed is going to have its drawbacks.. added sodium and a host of nasty preservatives and other chemical sounding ingredients... if you are really concerned, try eating very clean.. meaning minimally processed... whole foods has a great recipe for a plant based southwest blackbean burger, that is awesome... check it out on youtube
  • etscher
    etscher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years, and I don't do fake meat products unless I'm out to eat and there is nothing else for me on the menu. The amount of fake stuff and processed stuff and fillers in those fake meat products aren't great.

But making your own fake meat, by that I mean veggie burgers with actual veggies/black beans, is easy and delicious. If I can't make it myself, I don't eat it. (Ok, maybe that's cheating, because I've learned to make just about everything...good and bad for you ha)

Not all fake meat products are full of junk, but always always always read the ingredients list before buying or eating a fake meat product - you should be able to read everything in the list and deem it as a natural food that occurs in nature.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the fake meats, but when i was still doing the vegetarian thing, i liked the Morningstar buffalo chik'n patties. I don't for one second think that they are good for you! The ingredient list is insane! But they are tasty covered in pickled jalapenos and mustard.
    Morningstar's hot dogs are pretty accurate to what a hot dog tastes like, too.
  • stiobhard
    Options
    whole foods has a great recipe for a plant based southwest blackbean burger, that is awesome... check it out on youtube

my dad taught me how to make these... they are a specialty of San Antonio... I think he said he used to eat them in college in the 60s... and my dad is far far far from being a vegetarian!!

I have made my own veggie burgers from tvp and shredded potato... which are better than any of the prepackaged ones ive seen.

the farm has a soy sausage recipe taking dry soybeans chopping them up and baking them with spices in a tin can... i used to do this for pizza topping though its been ages. it was pretty tasty though.

in greece they have patata kephtedes "potato meatballs" which is a fancy name for a tater tot, but its something anyone can do at home. though not sure on the fat/calorie content since its mostly oil and starch.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Fake meat is just wrong in every way. If you can't cope with eating a proper vegetarian diet just eat some meat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Fake meat is just wrong in every way. If you can't cope with eating a proper vegetarian diet just eat some meat.

This.

I like veggie burgers though, although I haven't eaten any in a while... Why not just make your own?
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 8 years. I ate Morning Star too (never liked Boca) but you are right, it's very unhealthy. It has so many processed ingredients - I would eat it sparingly and not part of your weekly/daily intake.

I also loved "Field Roast" and "Quorn" brand - they are really tasty and more natural than Morning Star. I'm not sure if you have a local health food store you can go to - or a Whole Foods - but they have lots of different vegetarian brands you can try.

But I recommend sticking with whole food proteins like tofu, beans, legumes, quinoa, eggs and dairy if you eat those things. And look up recipes to make your own burgers and such.

Good luck :)
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I eat meat, but sometimes I prefer to eat fake meat when the alternative is highly processed or unethically sourced meat (such as frozen chicken nuggets, pre-made burger patties, etc.). My favorite black bean burger is Morningstar Farms, and the Morningstar Farms chicken nuggets are also very good. I also really like tempeh. Also, I second lunapetu0311 - Field Roast is delicious!!
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    *eek* There seems to be a bit of strong conviction from some members here. Entertaining.

But to your question about "fake meat". If you like the mouth feel, flavour and nutrients which you receive from real meat, you can find many options of "fake meat" but usually have to mix & match to receive the same nutrients.

Tempeh is a commonly found item which, when seasoned, can have a lovely flavour. There is a variety of tofu and tapioca starch which, when seasoned, can remind one of a favourite protein breakfast. I prefer mine spicy in lunches or a small meal at tea.

There are many products made from soy and nuts (e.g. almonds, cashews, etc.) which, when seasoned, can remind one of a meat loaf. Honestly, the words "meat" and "loaf" have always been a put off, but everyone has their opinion.

Then there are plain veg which could remind you of meat but don't have the same mouth feel such as avocado. Again, mix & match may be a requirement to provide the same nutrients. All of the above paragraphs have loads of recipes found on internet so search away.

If you're looking for pre-made products, then you'll most likely have to deal with loads of additional sodium. Mind you, they taste lovely. Dr Praegers, Morningstar Farms, Quorn, and Boca (not my preference) are all readily found at your local grocer. If you're going for "I'm lazy and don't care about sodium intake", then these are a perfect fit. Some days, I eat them too -- don't be a hayta'!

Best part about food is that you can try different things to find what you prefer. Buy pre-made or make your own. Each week (or day if you're adventurous, try a new take on an old favourite. You'll get your groove.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian and I generally hate fake "meat" products. However, I do enjoy Amy's California burgers. Very good served with a curry sauce. I like another of her burgers as well, but I can't remember the name of it. I do not like any of the ones with textured soy protein because I think that texture is gross. I haven't tried any of Amy's other veggie burgers, but several sound good. (There is one with quinoa.)

Amy's products are very healthy. They have a lot less strange chemical sounding ingredients than Morningstar Farms products.

Amy's California Burger
    calories 150
    fat 5 g.
    protein 6 g.
    sodium 500 mg.

Ingredients : (Vegan) Organic mushrooms, organic onions, organic bulgar wheat, organic celery, organic carrots, organic oats, filtered water, organic walnuts, wheat gluten, organic potatoes, sea salt, expeller pressed high oleic safflower and/or sunflower oil, organic garlic. Contains wheat & tree nuts (walnuts). - See more at: http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/veggie-burgers/000010#sthash.o1ylkThV.dpuf