Ideas for cooking chicken?

Options
I love chicken and eat quite a lot but currently I'm living in an apartment that doesn't have an oven. I'm really unimaginative when it comes to cooking so I'd love some ideas on what kind of things I could come up with for chicken based dishes that are healthy and tasty. I only have a microwave and a couple of gas burners for pans. Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Replies

• kdeanosu
    kdeanosu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    White Chicken Chili
    Chicken Stir Fry
    Chicken Fajitas
  • StaceyRigs
    StaceyRigs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you don't have one already, you should invest in a slow cooker. Lots to be done with chicken in the crock pot!
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Can you get a slow cooker??

So many ways to cook chicken that way!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    In a skillet, with olive oil and fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground black pepper and a tiny bit of garlic powder.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Season the chicken and pan sear it. (S, P, Garlic Powder, you get the point here)

Remove the chicken.
    Add 1/4 cup tequila, 1/4 cup lime juice, garlic, & onion to that pan. De-glaze it Reduce to half of the volume.

Whisk that into a half an avocado diced & a table spoon of sour cream or use a food processor to do this.

Slice the chicken throw it on a tortilla with lettuce, tomato, whatever you want.

Top with the tequila / lime sauce you made.

Edit*

You can also skip the sour cream and processor and use a tablespoon of butter & half avocado into that reduction in the skillet and top the chicken with it and it also goes good on pasta. Just for some variation or if you didn't want a fajita / taco type thing.
  • nimianne
    nimianne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love searing it on the stove top as previously mentioned, but also in the crockpot. I like to buy chicken breast in large packages and then I can freeze them in separate baggies. I freeze them in twos, and then take them out of the oven and put them in the crockpot, frozen. Then I add liquid: beer, wine, sake, stock, or water, and season them. I cook them on low for 6-7 hours...they literally are so juicy and tender that they fall apart!

Today I have chicken cooking with sake and spices: smoked paprika, garlic & onion powder, ground chipotle chili pepper, turmeric, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. We'll probably shred the chicken and put it on a salad or in tacos. But I've shredded it and added it to soups, made sandwiches with it, the sky is the limit...and such an easy method of cooking.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, slice up some peppers. Then- in a frying pan- cook the chicken, cook the peppers until they're soft, turn the heat down low and add 2 tbsp of cream cheese. It makes the best tasting sauce ever!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I cut raw chicken into strips, toss with Frank's Red Hot, and cook on the stove top. Dip in Greek yogurt for a delicious alternative to breaded chicken wings!
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For an easy chicken dinner, I like to marinade it in:
    crushed black pepper (to taste), 1 clove of fresh garlic, 2 tbsp of paprika, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 0.5 tbsp of olive oil
    If the marinade is still too dry, add a little water, and salt once it's on your plate.

Rub half of the marinade on the chicken, wrap it in plastic and let it sit for at least 30mins.
    Then throw it in the pan, cook on medium heat, and a little of remaining marinade every couple of months. And voila! Tasty chicken :)
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it! I'm living in china at the minute so not sure if I can get my hands on a slow cooker but I'll definitely have a look. Looking forward to trying some of these out!
  • domeimazn
    domeimazn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cook my chicken in a wok. Seasoning salt, cumin, shaoxing wine, onion powder, garlic power. Mix all the powders together first before you sprinkle it on the chicken.