Books on weight loss?

Options
Have you read any books on weight loss that helped you?

I can currently reading "Freedom - Personalized Weight Management" by Larry Lumley and it talks about the psychology of weight loss right now, which I think is really important :)

Replies

• charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love this topic! I'm a librarian and read all the time. Lately i've read a lot of health related books. I really enjoyed "Diet Rehab" by Mike Dow which explains how we literally get addictied to high fat and sugary foods. I also enjoyed, " Secrets of a Former Fat Girl" by Lisa Delaney. She imparts lots of wisdom but in a chatty, informal way that was fun to read. I wish there were more books like it. I also like, "Fit and Fabulous After Forty" by Denise Austin. I read it several years ago, before turning forty. I recently checked it out again and now my finacee is reading it. He loves it. So apparently it holds wide appeal-- ;) Good luck on your reading!
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Last year I read "The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl", by Shauna Reid. It was light reading but so funny and poignant at the same time. I guess it's not exactly a book on weight loss, but it follows the weight loss journey of an obese young woman. It really shined a light on the emotional aspects of food addiction and how difficult it can be to break the cycle of binge eating. Loved it so much I re-read it again several months later.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    A book that I read several years ago really resonated with me. It's called "The Body Fat Guide" by Ron Brown. Lots of people hate this book. They disagree with the author and his point of view but it clicked with me. My B.S. degree is in Biology and what he said made total sense. It's out of print now but can be found used on Amazon and also downloaded as an e-book.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Wow those all sound very interesting :) Thanks for the input guys
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading Brain Over Binge. It's not so much about weight loss but about binge-eating so it's sort of related. While there are some parts that overly simplify complex emotional issues there are other bits that are really helpful. Overall it's an interesting book even though I didn't agree with it all.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    "The Pleasure Trap" - Dr. Alan Goldhamer and Dr. Doug Lisle Ph.D. Amazing book; wont tell you what you want to hear, but it will give you the keys to success.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading Brain Over Binge. It's not so much about weight loss but about binge-eating so it's sort of related. While there are some parts that overly simplify complex emotional issues there are other bits that are really helpful. Overall it's an interesting book even though I didn't agree with it all.

This book is really only helpful if you binge eat, AND your binge eating is compulsive, not emotional. That being said, take this book with a grain of salt as the author is merely a woman with some sort of art/liberal arts undergrad degree, yet is trying to comprehend and analyze neurological theories that resonate with her. That being said, the book is empowering. It doesn't leave the reader with a 'woe me, my disorder has taken over my every thought' perspective, and more so a perspective that is taken with addictions (which makes sense, seeing how ed's are essentially addictions). The first part of the book is her personal experiences with bulimia/binge eating, and the second part of the book is essentially jumbled studies about physiology and neurology.

Personally, I adore Mt. Sinai's book on nutrition. It helped me to learn a lot more so about nutrition, and therefore how to better fuel my body.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

I can currently reading "Freedom - Personalized Weight Management" by Larry Lumley and it talks about the psychology of weight loss right now, which I think is really important :)

Sorry. This will probably sound harsh.

Pretty much anything related to weight loss that involves you spending extra money to do so is normally a waste of time. There is a reason why these people make so much money. They dont work or do so temporarily.

Books? Just use MFP. No book will be able to offer exactly what you need. Spend the money more wisely on buying the Wizard of Oz book....
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

This book is really only helpful if you binge eat, AND your binge eating is compulsive, not emotional. That being said, take this book with a grain of salt as the author is merely a woman with some sort of art/liberal arts undergrad degree, yet is trying to comprehend and analyze neurological theories that resonate with her. That being said, the book is empowering. It doesn't leave the reader with a 'woe me, my disorder has taken over my every thought' perspective, and more so a perspective that is taken with addictions (which makes sense, seeing how ed's are essentially addictions). The first part of the book is her personal experiences with bulimia/binge eating, and the second part of the book is essentially jumbled studies about physiology and neurology.

Agree totally!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do the 5:2 diet and am currently re-reading the book, I do this every now and then for motivation and to remind myself of the health benefits attached. Have also watched the associated documentary 'Eat Fast, Live Longer' about a million times for motivation. I like the sound of the Brain over Binge book, might give that a read!
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Pretty much anything related to weight loss that involves you spending extra money to do so is normally a waste of time. There is a reason why these people make so much money. They dont work or do so temporarily.

Books? Just use MFP. No book will be able to offer exactly what you need. Spend the money more wisely on buying the Wizard of Oz book....

I like reading and learning new things. Books offer that.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink. Many useful insights into dietary tendencies and habits. I recommend it to anyone who asks.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

I like books. And libraries are free.