Way under my calorie goal

Options
124»

Replies

• mg_alva
    mg_alva Posts: 37
    Options
    Everyone has given such great opinions and point of views. I'll stop denying myself the things I've enjoyed also. I know, again, it's all about balancing and moderation
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How is this a problem? Go have an ice cream bar!! A Hamburger!! A large french fry!! There are a dozen things you can eat to make up 600 calories and all of them taste good! TWO slices of pizza!! I could do this all night...

but please don't eat a chicken breast, whole grain pasta, broccoli and some flax seed oil. That stuff is just terrible tasting and bad for you.

:huh:

I'm confused. How are those things bad? I have nothing but chicken breast in my freezer. I absolutely love broccoli also.

That was sarcasm, hence the huh emoticon at the end. The person was making fun of the fact that the other poster listed foods that are traditionally considered bad, but no healthy alternatives.

Don't get it twisted... nothing I listed was unhealthy. The health industry has you all confused about food. 4 oz of Hamburger (especially 93/7 ground or 85/15) is 170 - 220 calories, add a bun at 120? At most you've eaten 340 calories and 2 to 12 grams of fat but have consumed 20 some grams of good for you protein. Not sure how that is unhealthy? (keep in mind that 4 oz of plain skinless chicken breast is anywhere from 120 to 250 cals with 1 to 10 grams of fat depending on how it's butchered which isn't much different then a hamburger... but yeah, my suggestions were "ridiculous" :huh: )

Or pizza? One normal slice of cheese pizza is around 250 calories. With a 600 cal surplus you could eat two slices.. It would give you 20 grams of protein and 40 grams of calcium, a bit higher in fat at 20 grams... but if you're eating chicken breast and salads all day then you need that fat to hit your macros anyway.

(Also, I don't recall saying, "loaded bacon double burger topped with egg or five meat triple cheese oil dripping extravaganza...." but apparently demon food can't be made in a healthy manner)

Oh.. Skinny Cow makes great 100 cal ice cream bars btw... full of that silly calcium we don't need.

So I guess I can have my all time favorite thing ever: buffalo wings? Lol

Yes, why wouldn't you be able to? Buffalo wings, even fried ones from Buffalo Wild Wings, are usually around 100 cal/each. If you have 700 cal left - you can have a half dozen and still have room for ranch dressing or blue cheese to dip them in.

If you want to make them at home - I have had good luck with cooking them in an oven at around 450 degrees for 30 or so minutes, then broiling them for a few minutes so that the skin gets crispy, then tossing them in sauce. That is around 70-80 calories each. We had them every Sunday during football season - sometimes buffalo chicken, sometimes jerk chicken, sometimes a maple bourbon chicken wing. I love them and I'm not going to give them up because I'm counting calories...

The best part of MFP in my opinion is the awareness that it brings you about how many calories are in the foods you love, so that you can make choices about whether or not you want buffalo wings, or potato skins, or ice cream, or beer. You can't probably have ALL of those things, well, actually you can, and I do quite often, but not every day....
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given such great opinions and point of views. I'll stop denying myself the things I've enjoyed also. I know, again, it's all about balancing and moderation

You got it sweetheart!! Anyone who tells you to reject any food group for any reason is full of it. The health industry spends A LOT of money and makes A LOT of money by enticing us with fad diets, health kicks, and bandwagon solutions to something so simple it hurts. Watch your calorie intake, enjoy things you love, and get yourself up and moving once a day. You DON'T NEED to buy expensive oils or low fat, fat free, etc etc BS. You just need to be balanced. Figure out what's best for you in macros, I do 40/30/30 and then ball park it (doesn't need to be exact).

Our grandparents lived LONG lives without Almonds and Flaxseed oil. They ate full fat milk and cheese, red meat, and cakes and cookies.. they just had better portion sizes. There is no reason you can't live a normal life with normal food and complicating it is no way to live long term unless your training or body building. You can still have a doughnut, or a cookie too despite the awful advice of some other people in this thread.

And by gosh YES, have a few Buffalo wings!!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Pizza, burgers, fries, chinese take-a-ways are not healthy! Loaded with saturated fats. I have seen first hand what this type of foods does to your body. Have you ever attended an autopsy? Probably not. When you see all the bright yellow fat riddled around your organs from eating utter crap, you never want to eat that way again. Ever. Fats serve a purpose. EFAs from nuts and light oils help fight heart disease and keep your cholesterol low. Recommend to someone who is trying to lose weight and be healthy to go eat pizza and burgers is like placing a bottle of liquor in the hand of an alcoholic.

There is nothing demonic about pizza. True. I agree. In serious moderation for someone losing weight. But to recommend it is reckless for someone trying to lose weight. A calorie is not a calorie. Obviously you have no clue whatsoever about macronutrients. There is more to food than a mere calorie. Or have you never heard of fats, proteins and carbs? White processed bread. Wonderful!

Why not recommend she eat cakes and cookies too. Forget healthy dieting. It doesn't exist.

Interesting, I said Pizza, Burger, and Ice Cream.... I did not say Chinese Take Away or Fries. So, you're making things up to prove a point right off the bat. I then followed with how she could enjoy them which included options that can be enjoyed long term without "dieting" or food demonizing... which you've done twice now, I might add.

Why would you even bring up an autopsy? That's weird and creepy. But that said? Fat in your body is NORMAL, it insulates your organs, it feeds the brain, keeps you functioning when carbohydrates are low.

Check SCIENCE it will back me up on this.

Also, I didn't tell her to NOT eat nuts and olive oils, but I refuse to tell her any food is off limits.. because it ISN'T. You are sincerely confused, because I'm pretty sure I addressed the macro-nutrient advantage of a hamburger (which has little to no saturated fat I might add). AND, she's not an addict buddy, she's perfectly capable of understanding how to eat a balanced diet and include items she enjoy's. I'm pretty sure this topic wasn't titled, "Help I can't control my eating habits". If she's under her goal she's not consuming enough calorie dense items, and a hamburger is just as healthy as a chicken breast in macros but if it makes you feel better, she can nix the bun.

Talk about hating food.. I'm glad I don't have to live like you. =/

*sigh* You're wasting your time. He's in that mindset and really doesn't get that fat doesn't make you fat. EXCESS makes you fat. It IS easier to eat in excess of the more calorie dense stuff, but he doesn't get the BIG picture of BALANCE. It's good to eat grilled chicken, steamed asparagus, salad, and avocado... but it's also good to have pizza and burgers once in a while. But people like this will NEVER understand. And in the meantime, will be miserable and screaming at others to be miserable.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Pizza, burgers, fries, chinese take-a-ways are not healthy! Loaded with saturated fats. I have seen first hand what this type of foods does to your body. Have you ever attended an autopsy? Probably not. When you see all the bright yellow fat riddled around your organs from eating utter crap, you never want to eat that way again. Ever. Fats serve a purpose. EFAs from nuts and light oils help fight heart disease and keep your cholesterol low. Recommend to someone who is trying to lose weight and be healthy to go eat pizza and burgers is like placing a bottle of liquor in the hand of an alcoholic.

There is nothing demonic about pizza. True. I agree. In serious moderation for someone losing weight. But to recommend it is reckless for someone trying to lose weight. A calorie is not a calorie. Obviously you have no clue whatsoever about macronutrients. There is more to food than a mere calorie. Or have you never heard of fats, proteins and carbs? White processed bread. Wonderful!

Why not recommend she eat cakes and cookies too. Forget healthy dieting. It doesn't exist.

Interesting, I said Pizza, Burger, and Ice Cream.... I did not say Chinese Take Away or Fries. So, you're making things up to prove a point right off the bat. I then followed with how she could enjoy them which included options that can be enjoyed long term without "dieting" or food demonizing... which you've done twice now, I might add.

Why would you even bring up an autopsy? That's weird and creepy. But that said? Fat in your body is NORMAL, it insulates your organs, it feeds the brain, keeps you functioning when carbohydrates are low.

Check SCIENCE it will back me up on this.

Also, I didn't tell her to NOT eat nuts and olive oils, but I refuse to tell her any food is off limits.. because it ISN'T. You are sincerely confused, because I'm pretty sure I addressed the macro-nutrient advantage of a hamburger (which has little to no saturated fat I might add). AND, she's not an addict buddy, she's perfectly capable of understanding how to eat a balanced diet and include items she enjoy's. I'm pretty sure this topic wasn't titled, "Help I can't control my eating habits". If she's under her goal she's not consuming enough calorie dense items, and a hamburger is just as healthy as a chicken breast in macros but if it makes you feel better, she can nix the bun.

Talk about hating food.. I'm glad I don't have to live like you. =/

*sigh* You're wasting your time. He's in that mindset and really doesn't get that fat doesn't make you fat. EXCESS makes you fat. It IS easier to eat in excess of the more calorie dense stuff, but he doesn't get the BIG picture of BALANCE. It's good to eat grilled chicken, steamed asparagus, salad, and avocado... but it's also good to have pizza and burgers once in a while. But people like this will NEVER understand. And in the meantime, will be miserable and screaming at others to be miserable.

Well to be honest although it is true that only calorie deficit matters when it comes to weight loss it certainly DOES matter what you eat when it comes to health. If you ate a low calorie diet that was full of saturated fats and cholesterol this COULD cause you health problems. He isn't wrong there, you can clog your arteries without being in a caloric surplus.

That said I don't think that means you need to avoid pizza, hamburgers, fast-food at all costs but all things in moderation...for health reasons I would definitely not suggest living off those kind of foods long term.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Bottom line is this:

If what you care about is weight loss its just calories in calories out a calorie is a calorie. Don't need to bother with exercise just eat at a deficit and eat whatever you want to eat doesn't really matter.

If what you care about is health and fitness then you should still track your calories but you should also care about your macro balance and your micros and you should exercise regularly. In that case of course it matters what you eat and how you exercise.

Not everyone who loses weight is being healthier. Weight loss should not be considered synonymous with improved health.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    One thing you could try doing is pre-logging what you are going to eat in the morning or the night before. Then you can see how many calories you have left after your main meals are logged, and add them in throughout the day as snacks or treats rather than feeling like you are over-eating at 8.30 at night trying to get them in. Like people have suggested, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, bananas are all good snacks, but don't be afraid to plan in a mars bar or something if your goals allow it and you really want one. I've done the super-restrict health food thing before and what ends up happening is I fall off the wagon big time because I;d been depriving myself of all these foods. Remember this is a lifestyle not a "diet", you need to find a way to work in some of the foods you like too or you will be miserable!
    :)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is this:

If what you care about is weight loss its just calories in calories out a calorie is a calorie. Don't need to bother with exercise just eat at a deficit and eat whatever you want to eat doesn't really matter.

If what you care about is health and fitness then you should still track your calories but you should also care about your macro balance and your micros and you should exercise regularly. In that case of course it matters what you eat and how you exercise.

Not everyone who loses weight is being healthier. Weight loss should not be considered synonymous with improved health.

Bottom line is that we have said that over and over again and instead of him reading it 'Mostly healthy food, but some fun splurges in moderation and within your cals'. He interpreted "POISON! OMG! POISON!" Fear mongering and harping won't help anyone. Encouraging her to eat healthy and having some occasional treats ESPECIALLY when she is coming in significantly under cals will.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    How is this a problem? Go have an ice cream bar!! A Hamburger!! A large french fry!! There are a dozen things you can eat to make up 600 calories and all of them taste good! TWO slices of pizza!! I could do this all night...

This. Just eat some of the stuff you used to eat that made you overweight to begin with. No problem-o.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Bottom line is this:

Bottom line is that we have said that over and over again and instead of him reading it 'Mostly healthy food, but some fun splurges in moderation and within your cals'. He interpreted "POISON! OMG! POISON!" Fear mongering and harping won't help anyone. Encouraging her to eat healthy and having some occasional treats ESPECIALLY when she is coming in significantly under cals will.

Yeah all things in moderation right, I agree...not poison just something to pay attention to and not overindulge. I don't really care who said what to whom though it isn't about the drama for me its about what is true and what isn't so I'm just going to say what I think is true and leave it at that.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Bottom line is this:

Yeah all things in moderation right, I agree...not poison just something to pay attention to and not overindulge. I don't really care who said what to whom though it isn't about the drama for me its about what is true and what isn't so I'm just going to say what I think is true and leave it at that.

Caring who said what would have changed your response though, if you'd read it more then just my first response you would have found I specifically suggested she use things like 93/7 ground beef or cheese pizza both of which are quite healthy when approached responsibly. It was Hondo that went nature nazi on the subject and decided for all of us that Hamburger and Pizza Dough were the devil. We'd prefer no to lead the girl down the demon path as she's not exactly indulging in calorie dense or fatty foods if she has 600 surplus calories.

(Also.. no combative tone to this reply, just adding my two cents)
  • mg_alva
    Options
    Don't know who'll read this, But I was able to reach 1200 cals today and stay within my macros. Yay!! Went over just a tiny bit on sugar, but I'm still alive
  • jaya_lakshmi27
    Options
    Apples and peanut butter are amazing and quite caloric. Nuts in general are caloric. They have fat, but it's not saturated or hydrogenated, so your body needs it.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Don't know who'll read this, But I was able to reach 1200 cals today and stay within my macros. Yay!! Went over just a tiny bit on sugar, but I'm still alive

Well done! Lke I said earlier, get the calories on target first, then look after the macro's, then worry about the micros.
  • mg_alva
    Options

Well done! Lke I said earlier, get the calories on target first, then look after the macro's, then worry about the micros.

Yes. Felt quite accomplished. I didn't think about it too much today. And I had pancakes. Yum!
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Wait I've heard of protein, carbs and fat. Doesn't pizza contain all of thosed?
    What exactly is wrong with white processed bread? Please explain.

I asked the same thing.. maybe he's consulting his cult leader.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Yes. Felt quite accomplished. I didn't think about it too much today. And I had pancakes. Yum!

Great job beautiful!! Keep on that path and you'll do just fine.
  • calliegirl1973
    calliegirl1973 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wasn't feeling well today so I ate oatmeal most of the day. try oatmeal.