Your best TOMATO SOUP Recipes!

Options
Jen800
Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
I'm looking for a really great recipe to make tomato soup with. Growing up, all I ever enjoyed was the campbell's kind. I'm more open now, but I still want something that'll really excite the tastebuds! I've made a few, but none of them had the "wow" factor.

So without further ado, please share your favourite and or tried and tested tomato soup recipes with me! (healthy or healthifiable would be ideal)

Replies

• luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    My favorite tomato soup recipe is Ina Garten's Fresh Tomato Soup. Google it and you will find it. I parboil my tomatoes and peel them and seed them before chopping them. Edited to add that you will never want canned tomato soup again once you've tried this.

Delish!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I can't do the link for you..... but here's the url: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/soup/soup-other-soup/italian-meatball-tomato-soup.html?p=2

That's my personal recipe that we always use, and my husband is in love with it. The meatballs are just extra, but it really helps to fill you up with the extra protein.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I mix a large (28oz) can of crushed tomatoes, a large can of diced tomatoes, plus a can's worth of water, add salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and chopped onion. Usually I also throw in a parmesan rind if I have one (but don't forget to take it out at the end). Once the onion is cooked through I stir in a few cups of fresh or frozen spinach and let that cook down a bit and then melt in 2-3 tablespoons of butter. Delicious!

Edit: Oh yeah and I also make the same recipe but with lentils if I want it to be more of a main dish type soup than a side dish type soup.
  • Jen800
    Options
    yummy thanks guys and girls!
  • Jen800
    Options
    I'm in the process of making the first one and hopefully it turns out great!

I'm still open to suggestions, you can never have too many :)
  • Jen800
    Options
    I made that one and it was really yummy! I'll make it again.

However, it wasn't the "creamy" texture I was still looking for. Anybody else?
  • mcm412
    mcm412 Posts: 18
    Options
    I love the Creamy Creamless Tomato Soup recipe from Cook's Illustrated. I usually reduce the oil to one tablespoon, and eliminate the brandy, and it's still pretty great. It's my go-to tomato soup recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/creamless-creamy-tomato-soup-cooks-illustrated-487245