Sorry! It's another protein thread!

Options
Hi everyone,

I keep reading that we should eat one gram of protein for every lb of body weight. I weigh 258 lb and it seem to me that 258g of protein would be a lot!

I haven't been keeping my food diary very well but I've planned today and I've included 128g of protein. I would really find it difficult to just about double that.

I also have diabetes so I try to eat low carb high fat to help with keeping that in check.

Trying to come up with a healthy diet is driving me round the bend (or at least it would if I wasn't already there!)

Any advice?

:sad: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You don't need 258g of protein, alot of bodybuilders probably don't have that much daily. You'll be fine at over 100g a day imo.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ok I don't know all of it! But I know it's per lb of muscle (?) so it won't be as much as that for you! But I have seen it in the forums before so somebody will come help!! :) and well done on 128g, that's good!! x
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic also, what I have done is. I try to eat eggs for breakfast, then have a healthy salad with either a chicken breast, fish, prawns etc. Then for dinner, I would have two homemade burgers, two chicken breasts, two pieces of fish, a good serving of Bolognese without the pasta, homemade beef stew. It has helped to keep my blood sugar down, I never feel hungry, it does take a bit of getting used to but the weigh and inches have come off very well. Increasing my protein uptake has helped to regulate my blood sugar, this has helped me stay off medication. Also I feel I have more energy and therefore exercise feels easier. Hope this helps.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you have a lot of weight to lose, then you can calculate your protein requirements by your lean body mass instead, rather than total body weight. Your fat cells don't need very much protein. It's your lean tissues that need it. AFAIK 1g protein per lb lean body mass is adequate - or 0.8g per lb bodyweight, but I think this second number assumes a healthy range body fat percentage

Although check, because I suck at remembering numbers.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yes, the one gram recommendation is based on Lean Body Mass so if you know your body fat % you can determine your LBM and adjust protein for that. Body weight recommendations are .6-.8g/lb so at .6g/lb you are looking at about 155 g of protein per day. I would guess that will be close to what you may find your LBM calculations would suggest, but I know some people have difficulty getting in that much protein. Anything over 100g would be beneficial.
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I'd forgotten it's based on LBM rather than total weight. My scales at home can give me my body fat %age so I'll check that out tonight and do the calculations.

I'm trying to get it so that I get plenty of protein, little carbs and the rest in fat (mmmm ... bacon ... :love: )

So long as the total cals are lower in than out, I'm hoping I'll lose some weight !

Good luck to you all, whatever your goals! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Eating that much protein is hard, but worth the effort. I'm a T2 diabetic so I aim for higher protein and lower carb to help keep my blood sugars steady. My target is 40/30/30 which works out to 170g of protein per day. I use protein supplements to get as close to that as I can.

The 170g also works out about right for 1g per lbm and .7g per lb. I like it when all of the numbers are close. :smile:

Surprisingly for me, the hardest macro for me to hit is my fat %. I guess I need to eat more bacon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think 30% of protein is plenty personally. I don't always reach it but I try to get close.