One slice of bread enough?

Options
So, from my understanding, breakfast is good to jumpstart your metabolism in the morning to help you burn calories throughout the day. And most days, I have no problem making an egg or two, but some days I am just lazy and dont feel like preparing anything, and so I just pull out a slice of bread and much on it, and maybe microwave some coffee. My question is, is this enough to jumpstart my metabolism?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eating or skipping breakfast does not change how your metabolism works throughout the day.

Some people report increased mood and focus when they eat breakfast. Others react the opposite. Some people find that they stay fuller longer when they eat breakfast. Some are hungrier after eating in the morning.

Meal timing will not affect your weight loss. It may affect your gym performance, concentration, and hunger levels throughout the day. Eat it if you want. Skip it if you want.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Eating or skipping breakfast does not change how your metabolism works throughout the day.

Some people report increased mood and focus when they eat breakfast. Others react the opposite. Some people find that they stay fuller longer when they eat breakfast. Some are hungrier after eating in the morning.

Meal timing will not affect your weight loss. It may affect your gym performance, concentration, and hunger levels throughout the day. Eat it if you want. Skip it if you want.

agreed.

if you feel like you need to eat something for breakfast and don't feel like making anything boil and egg the night before and eat that in the morning. better than eating 100 cal slice of bread.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you are having bread, put something healthy on it like peanut butter. Make hardboiled eggs a carton at a time too, they are a fast grab and go food in the morning. Or a greek yogurt with some fruit. Milk with protein powder. There's a lot of options out there.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What Dianne said is correct.

I'd like to add that you should experiment a bit and see which way you feel better, with different types of breakfast vs. none at all. If not eating breakfast causes you to nom everything in sight at lunch or munch snacks all morning, then by all means, eat breakfast. Some people, however, have reported *less* hunger without eating breakfast, and so if you are one of those people, by all means, skip breakfast!

Interestingly, I found that as I lost weight my preferences shifted. I used to *need* breakfast, but by now I don't have breakfast and just eat two meals a day. I feel great.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, I found that as I lost weight my preferences shifted. I used to *need* breakfast, but by now I don't have breakfast and just eat two meals a day. I feel great.

Ditto to this. When I started here I had to make myself eat breakfast and that worked out great for a while. I've never been a breakfast person and all I could manage was a smoothie, but it really helped keep me going.

Last week I changed my workouts from just biking to Running+yoga 3x/wk, Strength+hiking 2x/wk. Eating beforehand was just not working out. I ended up feeling sluggish and kinda pukey, especially on my run days.

I do give myself some calories to work with, though, by throwing some flavored creamer in my latte. It's not much, but it puts a little something in the tank and that's better than nothing.