Weight Gain

Options
Hi,

Is this the norm for everyone?

I was chatting with others on a different topic on MFP and mentioned that I was on 1200 calories a day.

Several were shocked at this and suggested that I should higher my calorie goal, which I have done...it is now 1500 calories.

However, within 10 days I have gained 2lbs!

This is disheartening (I'm sure others feel the same)...but 2lbs gain in approx. 10 days???

I am still exercising but limited due to illnesses.

I did have alcohol for 2 days in a row (didn't go over my calories).

Should I lower the calories again...it may seem like common sense but the others were so adamant that I was too low that I listened...for once lol.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is just fine! That's what I do. If it works for you then stick with it.
  • pommychic
    pommychic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would listen to your own body. If you are losing at a healthy rate of eating 1200 cals, then eat 1200 cals! MFP puts me at 1200 cals a day taking into account my age, height and current weight. I wouldn't increase them because someone else told me to when I was losing just fine. Everyone's different. Do what works FOR YOU.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I can gain 2lbs overnight if I eat foods high in sodium. Just sayin.

Things that come into play here.
    - Do you weigh your food with a digital scale? - - - if not, then consider the possibility that when your goal was set to 1200, you were eating closer to 1500...when you bumped your goal to 1500...you ended up consuming closer to 1700 (just a possibility to consider)

- How is your sodium intake?

- Do you drink enough water to balance out your sodium intake?

- Because of hormones and such, women can fluctuate a few pounds depending on which part of their cycle they are in (some retain water around TOM, some retain water around Ovulation, etc)

- Are you eating back exercise calories? If yes, what percentage and how are you determining your calorie burn?

I can only see making a higher goal if:
    - your tired/feeling run down all the time
    - you feel starved all the time
    - your workouts are suffering
    - your losing weight rapidly (well over 2lbs per week and your not obese)
  • JoT2013
    JoT2013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi and thanks for your help and replies :)

I am 5ft 8, 42 and approx. 50lbs over weight.

I lost 5lbs in the days before I joined MFP, so in total 13lbs (I'm ignoring the 2lbs gain until I see if its water retention etc).

I am burning approx. 250 cals a day in exercise and am not eating any back whatsoever.

I have never gone over my calories goal (although I have occasionally gone over my carb limits or protein limits.)

I was quite comfortable on 1200 cals, 1500 cals has just meant bigger meals...I do try to keep them healthy (ish).

Tiredness doesn't apply to me calories wise (I have an illness which causes that).

I weigh on a digital scale (everything). I measure all liquids and write everything down at the time of weighing/measuring to accurately log into here.

I was losing approx. 1lbs a week before on 1200c...I just got spooked when ppl were saying my calories were wayyyy too low :(

Thanks again :)

Nevermind what I do, I am tired...bags under eyes etc etc etc...not a pretty sight lol