1500 Calories Honestly?

Options
Not really used mfp too much before now, but i seriously need to get motivated. After putting in my goals I get 1500 calories this seems very low.

I am 34, 87kg & 180cm and exercise about 3 times a week, but I really let myself down when it comes to snacking in between meals, for that reason I need to monitor how many calories are going in. I honestly feel 2000 would be a more realistic goal, would some men really go as low as 1540, I'm pretty sure you'd lose muscle at that intake.

Also looking for similar people to hold me accountable to this thing, as I seem to do well for a week or so then stop completely until I realise things are sliding, probably need to part of the community.

Replies

• sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    To give you an idea, I'm a short girl and I'm eating approximately 1600/day (exercise calories included).
    Did you set your activity level at sedentary? MFP's idea of "sedentary" is basically watching TV all day. Even if you have a desk job, you're probably not sedentary.
    Did you set 2lbs/week as a weight loss goal? You don't have very much to lose, 1 lb/week is a better idea IMHO.

Read this. It's a great guide: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There is almost always a proportion of fat-free mass lost along with fat.

Start at 2000 for 3 weeks and see what happens, if no change you need to drop lower.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yeah that does sound low for your stats. Try 2000 for a few weeks and if you don't get the desired results then you can adjust to 1800 or so. Then repeat test/adjust cycle as needed.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How much did you tell mfp you want to lose?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

This.

With a goal that low for a male it seems as though you entered you wanted to lose 2lb per week. Change this to 0.5 lb or 1lb per week and you will get a much more reasonable intake.

MFP also expects you to eat back exercise calories on top of this (MFP factors a deficit into your goal so you will lose weight even if you are not exercising) so on work out days your calorie goal will be higher still.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Start at 2000 for 3 weeks and see what happens, if no change you need to drop lower.

Great thoughts here!
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    To give you an idea, I'm a short girl and I'm eating approximately 1600/day (exercise calories included).
    Did you set your activity level at sedentary? MFP's idea of "sedentary" is basically watching TV all day. Even if you have a desk job, you're probably not sedentary.
    Did you set 2lbs/week as a weight loss goal? You don't have very much to lose, 1 lb/week is a better idea IMHO.

Read this. It's a great guide: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    ^This. Using your data, your TDEE should be around 2650, so even if you only ate 2000 calories, you'd still have 500+ deficit. I'd aim for that number and only go lower if you don't see your body changing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This.

With a goal that low for a male it seems as though you entered you wanted to lose 2lb per week. Change this to 0.5 lb or 1lb per week and you will get a much more reasonable intake.

MFP also expects you to eat back exercise calories on top of this (MFP factors a deficit into your goal so you will lose weight even if you are not exercising) so on work out days your calorie goal will be higher still.

all of this!
  • Barnseyboy
    Barnseyboy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, a well wrote & helpful article.
  • Barnseyboy
    Barnseyboy Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Some good advice from different people,

I'm gonna run with 2000, and like somebody said change activity level, I also like the idea of not eating back calories burned during exercise.
  • fanmebaby
    Options
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1500 or less (usually closer to 1200, with an occasional cheat days to balance it out) since December and I've dropped from 320 to 259. I also walk and lift weights to keep from losing too much muscle.

You obviously don't have as far to go as I did/do, so you don't have to go to that extreme of a measure, but once you get used to it 1500 is pretty doable if you're committed. I don't know why I say 'if you're committed' though because if you aren't you've already lost the battle.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I almost reached my goal at 1800, 183cm, almost 29yr. Eating back almost all workout cals. 2000 is plenty wiggle space, You'll see that once You change Your menu a bit, You can go through the day without hunger below that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1500 or less (usually closer to 1200, with an occasional cheat days to balance it out) since December and I've dropped from 320 to 259. I also walk and lift weights to keep from losing too much muscle.

You obviously don't have as far to go as I did/do, so you don't have to go to that extreme of a measure, but once you get used to it 1500 is pretty doable if you're committed. I don't know why I say 'if you're committed' though because if you aren't you've already lost the battle.

you are eating too little and you are losing muscle...probably a lot.

1500 is less than I eat and I am a 40 something year old woman and I lose 3/4 lb easily.

To get in the protien you need you should be eating a lot more.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options

This.

Now I know why the MFP calculator was telling me I could only have 1200 calories a day. Now life makes sense again. Thanks ladies.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options

yep