10,000 Steps a day

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering if I am doing the right thing. I started my journey 9 weeks ago at 168.2kg. Today I weigh 158.2kg :)

I suffer from Fibromyalgia and 24/7 Vertigo which I have had for 3 years.

For this reason walking outside is dangerous, I can lose my balance easily, or get halfway through my exercise and be stuck in the middle of nowhere being disoriented and dizzy.

SO, I have been doing 10,000 steps a day at home. I do 2 x 3500 and 1 x 3000 steps, this takes me around 20-25 mins for each rep. So generally a total of between 74 and 90 mins depending on how I feel. my fitbit has me burning upwards of 600 calories for my 90 mins.

I motor along, no mucking around, doing laps inside my house but I have the safety of walls to hold onto, furniture to steady on if necessary or sit down (not that I've let myself do that yet), my HRM says I am at optimal rate the whole time and my fitbit also has me at very active during those times.

BUT I know it's not the same as walking outside what with incline etc etc but as I said, so not safe for me to do so.

Am I wasting my time? I figure anything that doesn't involve me sitting in my chair is great.

Would love some opinions please :)

Replies

• cosmoholic2
    cosmoholic2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss to date! I say anything that gets you moving is a step in the right direction. :)
  • delmauriac
    delmauriac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No different to using a treadmill ... go for it!
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You're definitely NOT wasting time! Walking is great for you, even if it's inside. You're still burning calories even if it's not the same as outside. I get all my steps inside on very rainy or cold days. Half of mine are not purposeful though, meaning that I get about 5,000 at work (high school teacher).

Just keep doing what you're doing! If you're concerned you're not burning as many calories as your Fitbit or HRM says, maybe just eat back some but not all of them. I have my calories goal set on sedentary and let Fitbit add extra. Most days I get 300-400 more.

If you wanted to walk outside sometimes, do you have someone that could walk with you? Our weather here has gotten very nice so I'm loving the long walks outside!
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    No different to using a treadmill ... go for it!

Awesome thanks! At least on a treadmill I could watch a whole TV show to take my mind off it, right now I catch every few words as I go past the TV :P
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    Moving is moving and you are moving! Keep going! What is key is you make it work instead of an excuse! Way to go! High five to you!
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Your doing great!! It's better than sitting on the couch. Keep it up!!
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing just the right thing. I'm lucky enough to be able to walk outside but if I'm short on my 10,000 steps I finish them in the evening indoors. There are a number of exercise programmes involving walking indoors like Leslie Sansome. I've also got a great Wii game Walk it Out that involves marching on the spot on the Wii board. Movement is movement and although you aren't getting the incline, you are still moving your body in a weight bearing exercise.

Your FitBit understands about incline and hills and steps and if you are losing with what you are eating then what could be wrong? Trust yourself and the process.
  • karenrich77
    Options
    You're definitely NOT wasting time! Walking is great for you, even if it's inside. You're still burning calories even if it's not the same as outside. I get all my steps inside on very rainy or cold days. Half of mine are not purposeful though, meaning that I get about 5,000 at work (high school teacher).

Just keep doing what you're doing! If you're concerned you're not burning as many calories as your Fitbit or HRM says, maybe just eat back some but not all of them. I have my calories goal set on sedentary and let Fitbit add extra. Most days I get 300-400 more.

If you wanted to walk outside sometimes, do you have someone that could walk with you? Our weather here has gotten very nice so I'm loving the long walks outside!

Thanks Honey, I log what I think but my fitbit always adds more calories for me, so I am underestimating which is awesome. My hubby can walk with me on weekends but we are coming into Winter here in Australia so I am content walking inside :) And I've put some motivational posters up on the walls of my hallway to give me something to read and brighten the boredom
  • karenrich77
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing just the right thing. I'm lucky enough to be able to walk outside but if I'm short on my 10,000 steps I finish them in the evening indoors. There are a number of exercise programmes involving walking indoors like Leslie Sansome. I've also got a great Wii game Walk it Out that involves marching on the spot on the Wii board. Movement is movement and although you aren't getting the incline, you are still moving your body in a weight bearing exercise.

Your FitBit understands about incline and hills and steps and if you are losing with what you are eating then what could be wrong? Trust yourself and the process.

I am trying to download the Leslie Sansone DVD's at the moment just to change it up. And I am definitely still losing between 1kg and 1.6kg a week at this point, I epect that to slow down soon though :)
  • rmt5580
    rmt5580 Posts: 9
    Options
    I walk 10,000 steps a day. My normal work day plus a 30 minute walk at lunch gets me there. Between this and eating 2000 calories a day I am seeing the weight come off slowly but surely. The only time I didn't see, or feel, any weight loss was when I tried walking in place while watching tv. For me, forward motion is the key. Outside or on a treadmill.
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You're going great :) I also do most of my 10,000 fitbit steps inside. When the weather was nicer, I was taking a few walks, which was nice, but it's been rotten these past few nights, so I'm happy to step/jog on the spot in front of my tv!
  • karenrich77
    Options
    I walk 10,000 steps a day. My normal work day plus a 30 minute walk at lunch gets me there. Between this and eating 2000 calories a day I am seeing the weight come off slowly but surely. The only time I didn't see, or feel, any weight loss was when I tried walking in place while watching tv. For me, forward motion is the key. Outside or on a treadmill.

Awesome, yes I find I can't walk on the spot as my fibro pain flares up, forward is good for me too! And I am on 1630 calories, so we are on our way :)
  • lladymc
    lladymc Posts: 6
    Options
    I think you are doing brilliantly, and with all the other posters I believe doing any exercise is better than nothing! and 10000 steps a day is fantastic! you have lost a good deal already so keep doing what you are doing and I know you will be successful!
  • karenrich77
    Options
    I think you are doing brilliantly, and with all the other posters I believe doing any exercise is better than nothing! and 10000 steps a day is fantastic! you have lost a good deal already so keep doing what you are doing and I know you will be successful!

Thanks so much!
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would caution with the walking DVDs is that sometimes when I walk in place my Fitbit doesn't notice it as forward movement and count it as a step... Just keep an eye on it =D Congrats on your weight loss and eagerness to move!