what am I doing wrong

Options

Replies

• naomigee161
    naomigee161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    try eating fruit instead of crisps as snacks, frozen berries instead of sugar on your cereal or something more substantial at the start of the day like porridge (50g oats and 300mls milk or water) or boiled/poached eggs with toast/beans.

have greek yoghurt with some honey/fruit or by itself as a pudding, boiled eggs, babybels, hummous with carrot sticks, celery, grapes etc , or a couple of unsalted nuts or plain homemade popcorn as a snack.

you can make your own sauces for pasta etc much healthier and cheaper very easily, tesco value chopped tomatoes, bit of tomato puree, 1 tsp sugar, pepper, 1 tsp mixed herbs, simmer with veg and/or cooked mince etc for 30 mins until thickened. you can also add beef stock/gravy granules, lee and perrins, red wine vinegar and other herbs to it.

try having 75g dry weight pasta/rice etc too and eating more fresh veg, 100g is a huge portion!

be patient, but also have you worked out your TDEE and took 20% off to give you the amount you should eat each day that includes your exercise? will stop you having to go hungry on days you don't exercise. (you should probably be eating more than 1500 and def more than 1200 on some days)

if you're already doing the advanced moves in the jillian videos then up your weights :)

edit: take your measurements when you weigh! often you will be smaller even if the scales show no change or a gain, exercise builds muscle (which is what you want but requires you not to rely on the scales as the be all and end all judge of weight loss/sucess)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am sure you have all read things similar to this before but I am stuck.

I weigh EVERYTHING - I place my bread on the scales & weight the butter, zero the scales & weigh each & everything I put on to my sandwich.

I weigh the milk on my cereal & everything individually for my dinner.

I work out everyday - I do Jillian Michaels 30ds or go for long walks.

For the last week I have been using a HRM so my workout calories are correct too.

So why am I maintaining!

I am rubbish at working out what is good & what is bad food.

I know when a day is bad even though I am within my cals by the weight that MFP says I will be in 5 weeks time.

Someone please pick my diary apart & give me tips on moving forward.

I had lost 10lb in 8 weeks but have put 2lb back on, I think this is possibly to the change in exercise....

I have 10 weeks in which I want to lose a stone and a half. please help me get to my goal!

Sue

Just a quick look - You aren't logging your water intake. My experience has been that keeping my water intake at or close to the 8 glasses of water helps rid the body of retained water. Your protein intake should be increased. You aren't tracking your sodium but based on what you are eating your sodium intake is high enough to cause water retention which masks any fat loss. Sugar can also cause water retention. Are you weighing your food? If not, that can make a huge difference. You definitely are over estimating your calorie burn from walking. One entry is 123 min with a burn of 727 calories BUT the calorie burn for walking is actually based on distance so you likely burned half that at best. For example, 3.79 mi gives me a calorie burn of 256 regardless of the time it takes to complete. I've had days when I put the time for the walk into Runtastic and it gives me a calorie burn of about 1,000 but my HRM/pedometer says I only burned 256 so I use the lower number. You are eating as if you burned that 727 calories when in fact you didn't really burn that much. Use a pedometer or a HRM/pedometer for an accurate calorie burn when walking.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I weigh EVERYTHING - I place my bread on the scales & weight the butter, zero the scales & weigh each & everything I put on to my sandwich.

For the last week I have been using a HRM so my workout calories are correct too.

So why am I maintaining!

I know when a day is bad even though I am within my cals by the weight that MFP says I will be in 5 weeks time.

I had lost 10lb in 8 weeks but have put 2lb back on, I think this is possibly to the change in exercise....

I have 10 weeks in which I want to lose a stone and a half. please help me get to my goal!

Sue

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

So why am I maintaining!

Sue

Just a quick look - You aren't logging your water intake. My experience has been that keeping my water intake at or close to the 8 glasses of water helps rid the body of retained water. Your protein intake should be increased. You aren't tracking your sodium but based on what you are eating your sodium intake is high enough to cause water retention which masks any fat loss. Sugar can also cause water retention. Are you weighing your food? If not, that can make a huge difference. You definitely are over estimating your calorie burn from walking. One entry is 123 min with a burn of 727 calories BUT the calorie burn for walking is actually based on distance so you likely burned half that at best. For example, 3.79 mi gives me a calorie burn of 256 regardless of the time it takes to complete. I've had days when I put the time for the walk into Runtastic and it gives me a calorie burn of about 1,000 but my HRM/pedometer says I only burned 256 so I use the lower number. You are eating as if you burned that 727 calories when in fact you didn't really burn that much. Use a pedometer or a HRM/pedometer for an accurate calorie burn when walking.

Did you read the OP at all? It quite clearly says that she does weigh everything and she uses a HRM.

I can burn 727 cals in 123 minutes of walking, easily. It depends on your size and the amount of effort you put into it.
  • Suebepinkydoo
    Suebepinkydoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    be patient, but also have you worked out your TDEE and took 20% off to give you the amount you should eat each day that includes your exercise? will stop you having to go hungry on days you don't exercise. (you should probably be eating more than 1500 and def more than 1200 on some days)

Thanks for your input - What is TDEE??? this is not something that I have ever heard of.......
  • Suebepinkydoo
    Suebepinkydoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you read the OP that you quoted, you can see she does use a HRM.

I can burn 727 cals in 123 minutes of walking, easily. It depends on your size and the amount of effort you put into it.

• selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You're eating a lot of carbs.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input - What is TDEE??? this is not something that I have ever heard of.......

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. in short, it's all of the calories you burn in a day doing everything.

so if your calorie intake is less than TDEE, you'll lose weight. if it's more than TDEE, you'll gain weight. if it's the same, you'll maintain your weight. however, don't get confused about what "weight" means. since our body is constantly retaining/shedding water for a variety of reasons, even if you are maintaining your weight (i.e. the constant about of fluid, muscle mass, bone, etc. that you actually care about), your scale can still vary by a few pounds hour by hour and day by day. that error margin has to be accounted for mentally. lots of people don't and they get frustrated when they see their weight change on the scale during the course of the day or from day to day. they are misunderstanding what's actually happening.
  • naomigee161
    naomigee161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html you'll be either light or moderate exercise (heavy is seriously heavy) it will give you a number of calories per day to stay at the same weight you are now. then take 20% off that number to get what you should eat daily to lose 1-2 lbs a week. don't log/eat back your exercise calories (or log as 1 cal burned) as the exercise you do is already included. you can manually set your daily calorie amount to your TDEE -20 number.
  • aconyteds
    Options
    My advice is to try and keep your calorie intake the same every day, and make sure your meals are all around the same size. If you eat back your exercise calories, that could slow down your results. Don't save your calories for dinner (Your are pretty good about this, but on occasion I see some large meals in the evening).

I recently went through a round of GSP Rushfit, and I tried to use MFP suggested calories for weight loss and maintained my weight for the first half. Halfway through I switched to the recommended calorie intake for the program, and consistently lost at least a pound a week. By the end I had lost 8 lbs. in 8 weeks.

So take your calorie goal for the day, then just eat at that level every day. Let those exercise calories go. If you start losing weight to fast, up your intake while on your workout program (stay healthy).
  • Knox67Runner
    Knox67Runner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks Suebedoo, and everyone else. I've hit the same wall and WAS frustrated this morning (that's why I clicked on the topic). I feel better now and have regained my composure. I'll slowly back away from that glazed donut....

:)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I would recommend drinking more liquids. You are logging about 5 cups of liquids per day. Really try to get it over the 8 cups per day recommended. That would be about 2 liters per day. Try to be consistent with your water.

Also, the biggest suggestion I would make is to eat more protein. It helps you to feel full longer. I have found that I lose more if I have more protein and fewer carbs.

Many folks on MFP find that they have the best success only eating back half their exercise calories. You might try aiming for those goals for a while too.
  • jmv7117
    Options

So why am I maintaining!

Sue

Did you read the OP at all? It quite clearly says that she does weigh everything and she uses a HRM.

Her diary does not reflect that she is weighing everything with entries like "two biscuits", "1.5 slice of ham", and "1/2 pack of noodles" which begs the question as to whether she is actually weighing or going by the amount on the box for serving size. Yes, I saw the HRM and no I don't think she is burning what she thinks she is.
  • lauren3101
    Options

So why am I maintaining!

Sue

Her diary does not reflect that she is weighing everything with entries like "two biscuits", "1.5 slice of ham", and "1/2 pack of noodles" which begs the question as to whether she is actually weighing or going by the amount on the box for serving size. Yes, I saw the HRM and no I don't think she is burning what she thinks she is.

That's really picking holes. It really depends on how the entries are measured on the database. If I buy a pack of something that has two servings, I weigh them, make sure the portions are equal, then log it as 'half a pack'. Doesn't mean it's not weighed.
    There's also entries in there like '54g cucumber', and '22g salad cream'. Those are precise measurements. It's pretty obvious this person weighs their food.

You saw she used a HRM, yet told her to use a HRM?
    Everyones calorie burns are different; just because you can't burn that much doesn't mean no-one else can. When I started out walking at 4mph and 280lb, I'd burn 600 cals in an hour. I burn less now, because I'm fitter and I weigh less. If the OP is using a HRM with a chest strap you can't get much more accurate than that.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just had a quick look at your diary - I know how frustrating it can be when you think you are doing everything right but not seeing results.

I am 5 ft 7 and currently 190lb used to eat very low 1200 cals per day & work out and didn't loose any weight for literally weeks on end - I later joined MFP and realized I was eating too little. I now aim to eat 1650 a day (this is my BMR). In work I am very sedentary (at a desk all day) and I now walk or hike for 2 hrs at a time 2-3 times a week. I have a fitbit which calculates an extra 350 - 600 cals for my 2 - 21/2 hours walks/hiking - I only ever eat back a couple hundred cals from that.

I'm no expert & I know you have a heart rate monitor, but we are similar height & you weigh less than me - on this basis we should burn a similar amount of cals for any given type of exercise - if anything I would burn more because I currently weigh more. the calories you are logging for exercise seem very high. 3 days last week you logged between 1000 - 1975 cals earned from exercise - that's a huge amount to earn for a person of your height/weight.

Your BMR is about 1527. I suggest you never eat below this (even on days you don't exercise). I would double check you calorie burn from your HRM. I bought my Fitbit Flex to get a more accurate idea of calories burned - its particularly good if your chosen exercise is walking, because the fit bit is a bit like an advanced pedometer (it will work out your burn based on steps/distance & your age/height/weight). I would then try to eat back less exercise calories - Even if I hike up hill for 2 hours, I don't feel my body needs literally a thousand extra calories to fuel that exercise. Because I am sedentary in my working day, I just see my extra walks as something that most people would do as part of their normal day, as opposed to 'exercise'. If I earn 600 cals for a full on hike - I would eat back 200-300 max.

Hope this does not offend & maybe even helps. I only felt compelled to comment as we are similar in height & weight & this might be a good indication of why you have not lost for a few weeks. Presumably when you were not exercising you were eating less calories & that was when you were loosing?? Its just about getting the balance right - believe me, it has taken a while for me to get it sorted.
  • jmv7117
    Options

So why am I maintaining!

Sue

That's really picking holes. It really depends on how the entries are measured on the database. If I buy a pack of something that has two servings, I weigh them, make sure the portions are equal, then log it as 'half a pack'. Doesn't mean it's not weighed.
    There's also entries in there like '54g cucumber', and '22g salad cream'. Those are precise measurements. It's pretty obvious this person weighs their food.

Everyones calorie burns are different; just because you can't burn that much doesn't mean no-one else can. When I started out walking at 4mph and 280lb, I'd burn 600 cals in an hour. I burn less now, because I'm fitter and I weigh less. If the OP is using a HRM with a chest strap you can't get much more accurate than that.

Regardless whether you feel I am picking holes or not, her diary does not reflect that she is weighing all of her food. Since she is not losing weight she is either eating too much or over estimating her calorie burn both of which are reflected in her diary. She may not have her HRM calibrated correctly or she is not weighing everything which is resulting in no weight loss. At any rate, rather than put someone else down for trying to help, I offered what I could. And you?
  • lalamoose64
    lalamoose64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Slk_5555 is on track! Switch up your exercise, stair master or switch videos. Also try two-a-day workouts. Try a brisk walk before work, or youtube 15min quick workout, hand weights. The second work out can be quick and brisk. You can do it!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I agree.

Also .. picking holes is EXACTLY what we have been asked to do!

The problem is that the 'Equation ....if In < out = weight loss' ... is really easy to say and REALLY difficult to do ACCURATELY.

So, if you are not losing and THINK that you're recording Inputs and Outputs correctly .. then, I'm sorry to say .. You Are NOT and need to revisit your diary entries..

Also, try to change as few things at a time as possible - so that you know what changes are working for you. (for example if you are trying to add more, say Protein to your diet AND you increase your exercise .. how will you know which of these had the right impact on your weight loss?)
  • karenh
    karenh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Other than the unhelpful comments of a few, I think many people have given good observations and advice. I only glanced quickly at a few days of your diary and I am probably going to repeat many of comments already posted but here is what I think:

How long do you think you have been "stuck"? This process gets slower after the first few weeks and I think you need to be patient. That said many of the suggestions given are right on the money.

Drink and keep track of water intake. Try eating more protein and reduce your starches/carbs a bit and get your sugars from fresh fruit but do not add sugar to your cereals etc. Eat healthy fats such as almonds and avocados but measure/weigh them as you have been doing. Cook your own dinners from fresh ingredients as often as possible, and don't add too much salt, or any if you can stand it. I almost never add salt; if a recipe calls for salt I use half of what is listed. Keep the salt shaker off the table.

I am not sure you are doing this but do not eat back all of your exercise calories, maybe eat about 1/2 back most of the time. I think many HRMs overestimate calories burned. I am pretty sure mine does so most of the time (about 5 days week) I eat back only a few calories, and I mean a few or none. Then once or twice a week I eat back more of them (100 or 200 of them for that day).

Last and kind of hard for me: Only drink water after dinner. Even if you plan for the calories/carbs/fats of a later snack and you are still on target for the day, I think eating anything within 3 hours of bed can affect your weight loss. I think many people would say it does not matter what time you eat but I was slowing down and stuck for a while. I then gave up my cup of decaf with creamer that I had been drinking in the evening because I like it. It was only 45 cals and a little fat/no sugar but that was the difference for me as I did everything else the same, and I was able to lose some more weight.

I think basically you are on the right track and can just make a few adjustments and it will start to happen for you. Feel free to friend me if you like, I love the support I get from many people in this site! Good Luck, you can do it!
  • lauren3101
    Options

So why am I maintaining!

Sue

Regardless whether you feel I am picking holes or not, her diary does not reflect that she is weighing all of her food. Since she is not losing weight she is either eating too much or over estimating her calorie burn both of which are reflected in her diary. She may not have her HRM calibrated correctly or she is not weighing everything which is resulting in no weight loss. At any rate, rather than put someone else down for trying to help, I offered what I could. And you?

Her diary does reflect that. I genuinely can't believe you cannot see that. You've just completely ignored what I wrote in my previous post. Also, read the OP.

We don't actually know if the OP isn't losing weight. It's become clear that she's lost 8lb in 8 weeks, but we don't know how long she's been stalled for as she hasn't answered that question. If it's only been a week, for example, then she's doing nothing wrong.

I did offer help. Again, actually read the thread.