Sugar - always seem to have too much

Options
Hi, my sugar is set at 45g per day, but although I am eating really well, and am losing, I ALWAYS go over, often by lunch time. I eat Weetabix for breakfast, then a ham/chicken salad sandwich on homemade wholemeal bread, maybe with extra salad or an apple for lunch. Spin or run (or walk, only just started) 5 times per week. I am type 1 diabetic, so cannot reduce my carbs anymore - and am usually under by the end of the day anyway.

I now avoid crisps, chocolate biscuits and cake, and have lost about 6lb in 6/7 weeks.

It is really important if I go over on sugar every day? Even with my exercise calories, etc, I am over by 10/20g or so a day.

I cannot cut anything else out!

Thanks,

Replies

• dsamaroo12
    dsamaroo12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What do you add to your Weetabix when you have your bowl? And also to your ham and chicken salad?
    Trust me I always go over the sugar content too! maybe using vegetables as your source of carbs?
  • Katharine1972
    Katharine1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    On my Weetabix I just have skimmed milk, nothing else. In my sandwich I have a little low fat mayo, no butter or marg, then ham/chicken, with tomato, cucumber and green leaves. Then I might have 2 of those baby sweetcorn and an apple. I know the apple has sugar, but do like to have some fruit.

As I say, I have cut out anything obviously sweet............
  • ImtherealSLIMshady
    Options
    HI! I am new to MFP. I have been logging for about 7 days. SUGAR is hard for me too! Every day I get a bit better. I am noticing foods such as 1% milk with my Cheerios (I have no clue what Weetabix is) is taking a big chunk of my portion. I am changing to Skim today. I love Honey Wheat Granola bars but found out quick they were taking a big chunk of my Carbs and Sugar. I changed to a half cup of mixed fruit with a TBSP of light whip cream. Less Carbs and 1 gram of sugar snack.

Point being, try really analyzing your food logs to see if there are certain foods you eat often that may be putting you over. You may be able to substitute something else for with a lower sugar content.

I also pre-log what I am going to eat. If I want a chicken salad and it will put me over on my sodium I may remove the olives or change to something else. If I know I am having pizza for dinner I pre-log it and it helps me plan what will fit in my daily limit for lunch. If what I want will put me over, I delete it and find something that will fit in my limit. I am not perfect, I still go over slightly, but my levels are becoming more consistent as I learn the foods values and what choices I have to make if I eat them to stay within my daily limit.

Wish you luck!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Try having the cereal dry and getting your calcium later in the day.
    My nutritionist who has many successful clients says cereal eaters do not lose weight well because cereal with milk = two different kinds of sugars in one meal. I am sure some here may say this is bunk, but I did notice my weight loss improved when I stopped having milk with cereal.
  • xoNikki246
    Options
    HI! I am new to MFP. I have been logging for about 7 days. SUGAR is hard for me too! Every day I get a bit better. I am noticing foods such as 1% milk with my Cheerios (I have no clue what Weetabix is) is taking a big chunk of my portion. I am changing to Skim today. I love Honey Wheat Granola bars but found out quick they were taking a big chunk of my Carbs and Sugar. I changed to a half cup of mixed fruit with a TBSP of light whip cream. Less Carbs and 1 gram of sugar snack.

Point being, try really analyzing your food logs to see if there are certain foods you eat often that may be putting you over. You may be able to substitute something else for with a lower sugar content.

I also pre-log what I am going to eat. If I want a chicken salad and it will put me over on my sodium I may remove the olives or change to something else. If I know I am having pizza for dinner I pre-log it and it helps me plan what will fit in my daily limit for lunch. If what I want will put me over, I delete it and find something that will fit in my limit. I am not perfect, I still go over slightly, but my levels are becoming more consistent as I learn the foods values and what choices I have to make if I eat them to stay within my daily limit.

Wish you luck!

Maybe stop having milk or cut it back, it has a lot of sugar in it so maybe try almond milk? I switched and am so used to almond milk that it tastes like regular milk to me, and get calcium from cheeses. Also for op maybe try spelt breads, less total sugar count then normal bread but still giving you carbs. Best of luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It is really important if I go over on sugar every day? Even with my exercise calories, etc, I am over by 10/20g or so a day.

For weight loss it makes no difference. I'm kind of puzzled based on your list of foods where all the sugar is coming from, but you can see that in the log and decide if you think it matters for health reasons or not and if so switch things up a bit.
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the sugars too much. The target on MFP us pretty low and there's no need to cut out all the fruits and stuff.. As long as you stay within your calories and macros targets you will be fine :)
  • Katharine1972
    Katharine1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It seems mainly in the apple and bread. May just have to accept that I will always be over, as I like these things.

Will have a think about it!

Thanks,

K
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The sugar macro is my nemesis! It seems regardless of what I do I am ALWAYS over on sugar. I am in for the suggestions.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar. If I eat two or three fruits, I'm over on sugar. There's a difference between natural sugar and processed sugar. Yes, sugar is sugar. But I'd rather have sugar from GOOD sources than from junk that won't fill me up.

The most important thing is counting your calories. If that's under control, the rest will come naturally. Don't stress too much on the other stuff.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's default numbers, their sugar recommendation is for added sugars, but the system doesn't differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars. That's what makes the goal so low.

Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugars, it should make no difference to your weight loss. I swapped that column out to track fiber a long time ago.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's default numbers, their sugar recommendation is for added sugars, but the system doesn't differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars. That's what makes the goal so low.

the goal was updated in January. It is now set at 15% of your daily calories not at the old "added sugars" number. 90 grams per day is another limit used in different jurisdictions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1181259-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-revised-faq-jan-2014