It's not fair!

Options
So my boyfriend and I have been dieting for about 3 weeks. He started out at 303 and I was 165. I have switched to only buying low calorie, reduced fat, raw ingredients, etc. We both have been making an effort to eat better but I track all of my calories AND I have been working out 5 times a week with a fitness program at my university. The funny thing is, even though he is casual about dieting, while I'm taking it more seriously, he is down to 288 and I'm only down to 159! Anyone have any insight about why this could be? I want a comeback when he brags that he's better at losing weight than me!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    He's obese. VERY obese. Morbidly obese people can lose weight faster than people who are just overweight, like you.

Edit to add, 6 lbs in 3 weeks isn't something to be unhappy with. You should feel good about it.
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Men lose faster as well...that's not fair, either, but it is what it is. They typically have more muscle mass, we have more fat, which makes it more difficult. You are doing GREAT!
  • hbcfit13
    hbcfit13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Men burn more calories than women! So, if y'all are eating the exact same meals with the exact same nutritional stats, he will naturally lose more weight than you. And like the above poster says, obese people lose weight faster than those who weigh less! Just keep up the good work! Six pounds in three weeks is a great start! :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    He is double your size...

The winner and results come after you guys drop all that water weight and hit the real stuff.
  • karendouse
    Options
    Unfortunately for him he is much more overweight than you are, and will lose faster. Instead of competing with each other, support each other in reaching your individual goals. It will strengthen your relationship as a couple, and you will both be mentally and physically healthier! Best wishes to both of you!
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    6 pounds down in 3 weeks is perfect for someone at your weight! It would be unhealthy to lose much more than that in that amount of time.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    1. He's a man
    2. You are not
    3. He is significantly over weight
    4. You are not

Congrats on the losses thus far. Stop comparing yourself to him, that could make things turn ugly, fast.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you want to look at it another way, he lost 4.95% of his body's weight, and you lost 3.64%. Both of those are very healthy rates of loss.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The more weight you have the easier it is to lose. This is why a lot of weight loss contests go by % of body weight lost. As someone else mentioned, men also typically have more muscle mass.

PS - fat is good for you, you need dietary fat. A lot of dieters make the mistake of cutting fat out. Fat does not make us fat and it plays an important role in hormone regulations, not to mention it helps curb hunger. Low fat and low calorie substitutes aren't always the best option.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    So he lost about 5% of his body weight and you lost about 4%. Math for the win. He has more to lose and also held more water (which is what you lose first when you start dieting) so that's why his numerical figure is more. Percentage wise you're both close.
  • katatoniczka
    Options
    It's normal to lose weight so fast when you're obese, you could say he's trying to lose a pile of pounds and you're just toning a bit... So yeah, one of them is easier (in the beginning)
  • actioncomics1
    Options
    men are clear superior my hypothesis proved yet again:laugh:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great!

Don't base your results on him or anyone else.

Keep up the good work!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    He's obese. VERY obese. Morbidly obese people can lose weight faster than people who are just overweight, like you.

Edit to add, 6 lbs in 3 weeks isn't something to be unhappy with. You should feel good about it.

this...
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said!

Also, look at it as percentage of body weight and y'all are both very close in weight loss. :smile:

Him - .049 %

You - .036 %

You're doing great! Congratulations!

Edited to fix my typo!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1. He has much more to lose.
    2. Men typically have a higher muscle content than women, and muscle burns more calories
    3. Men are annoying.

I've lost a little over 20 since Christmas. Hubby started a month after I did, and is down about 30.

On the bright side, you (we) are both getting healthier and doing good things to improve your future. Celebrate that as much as you can. Though its ok to be somewhat annoyed with him!

As others have said, you don't have to be too extreme on your ingredients. Fat is not all bad. Cook with olive oil, eat fish, nuts, etc.
  • jessilollipop00
    jessilollipop00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support! I feel better about my weight loss. I'm also very excited about my boyfriend's weight loss too because I know he needs it more than I do. Our competition is just fun, although I would rather be winning!

Just a note, there is still fat in my diet but I switched to turkey bacon instead of regular, and eat more chicken and fish and no red meat. I just can't rationalize fried food or buying a full fat version of something when I can get it reduced fat. I do still have a lot to learn about what the best foods and food combinations are but I think I've got a good start. :)
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Body Fat percents would be a better judge between two people with such diffrent stats. Even then women are supposed to have more fat <genetics> for childbirth so even then its not fair.

In the words of my mother and all the mothers before her "Lifes unfair..."
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    One thing you can hold onto: he will never weigh less than you do. There was a point in my life where I weighed more than Hubby (he's 3+ inches taller) back before he put on his weight and I had not done much about mine. Never wish to go back there again!
    Thanks everyone for the support! I feel better about my weight loss. I'm also very excited about my boyfriend's weight loss too because I know he needs it more than I do. Our competition is just fun, although I would rather be winning!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

GIIIIRL- you are winning when your losing!!! :bigsmile: