sweet low calorie dressing for fruit salad please?

Options
I find fruit salad on its own abit tarte and boring. Any ideas for a dressing? Im not keen on low cal yogurt. I like cream and custard but this might upp the calories quite a lot

Replies

• KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but no suggestions except fruit should be perfect on its own. Maybe your tastebuds just have to learn to love the fruit. Not sure what you use but pineapple, kiwifruit, etc should add sweetness - if that's what you crave.
  • br0906
    br0906 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like fruit salad on it's own but when I am in the mood to change it up, I add either regular or sugar free vanilla pudding mix. Just add the powder directly to the fruit salad and stir!
  • Grammanut
    Grammanut Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Maybe something here?
    And here are some lower-calorie drizzles and dressings for fruit salads:
    • 1 tablespoon lime juice = 4 calories
    • 1 tablespoon apple-raspberry juice = 7 calories
    • 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice = 7 calories
    • 1/8 cup raspberries, pureed = 7 calories
    • 1 tablespoon pineapple juice = 9 calories
    • 2 tablespoons lite nondairy whipped topping = 15 calories
    • 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt = 19 calories
    • 2 tablespoons low-calorie pudding = 22 calories
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons less-sugar jam + 1 tablespoon plain yogurt = 28 calories
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons liqueur (like amaretto or Chambord) = 29 calories
    • 2 tablespoons low-fat flavored yogurt = 30 calories
    • 2 tablespoons nondairy sour cream = 30 calories
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons less-sugar jam + 2 tablespoons lite nondairy whipped topping = 33 calories
    • 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding made with 2% milk = 37 calories
    • 2 tablespoons lite nondairy whipped topping + 2 tablespoons flavored yogurt = 45 calories

or.....
    fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup minced fresh mint (chocolate mint preferred)
    1/2 lemon, zested
    1 tablespoon honey
    Whisk lemon juice, mint, lemon zest, and honey together in a small bowl; drizzle over the fruit mixture and toss to coat.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    have you tried to make a dressing out of greek yogurt? Some greek yogurt and a little honey sounds like a dream, to me.
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't know about dressing, but I like to use a little whipped cream or cottage cheese.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I like fruit salad on it's own but when I am in the mood to change it up, I add either regular or sugar free vanilla pudding mix. Just add the powder directly to the fruit salad and stir!

This is what i was going to suggest
  • _shannon92
    _shannon92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cool whip mixed with strawberry or greek yogurt.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a little citrus juice, balsalmic vinegar and a few finely chopped fresh herbs.
  • You can make a simple syrup with no calories: mix splenda or stevia or some other no calorie sweetener with warm pre boiling water.

Tada! That's it. If you want to spruce it up, add some fresh mint. You'd be surprised how yummy fresh mint is with fruit.

Good luck on ideas!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My mom has always made a fruit dip with plain yogurt, brown sugar, and a bit of vanilla extract. It is delicious and always a huge hit with everyone who eats it. I'm not sure about the calorie count though, so you'd definitely want to enter it as a recipe to know exactly what you're getting. :smile:
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This place near my office makes fruit salad with fresh mint leaves and some lemon juice. Every time we have it catered for guests, they rave about it.