Almost passing out after work outs

Options
I've been having some weird symptoms lately and I'm hoping someone here will have some advice for me. I started going to the gym 1 month ago and everything was going fine. I was using the elliptical for 30-45 minutes a day, 3-4 times a week. 3 weeks ago I went to the gym and 11 minutes into my work out I started feeling dizzy, like I was going to pass out. I left and went home. I have anxiety and panic attacks so I assumed that's what it was. When I got home I decided to resume my work out on our treadmill, which I did for 22 minutes. A few minutes later I had the same feeling I had at the gym, like I was going to pass out. When I use the elliptical I normally go a speed of around 5 and on the treadmill I was at a speed of 4.7 on a 9-10 incline, so it's not like I was working out really hard. I was drinking water throughout the workout and I had consumed 1,110 calories that day prior to my work out, however the last time I had eaten was 4 hours before I went to the gym.

After this incident I took a break from the gym for a couple weeks because of what happened. I thought a medication I was taking (pantoprazole) for a hiatal hernia/acid reflux had caused the fainting feeling. I was taking this medication when I first started working out (and felt fine) but was told to double up and went from 40mg to 80mg daily, which is when I started having these fainting problems. I switched to a different medication (only 40mg daily) and decided to try the treadmill a couple days ago. I was fine throughout the entire workout (30 min) until afterwards. A few minutes after I finished I started getting heart palpitations (I'm talking 6-7 in a row. I've been having palpitations for a few years but usually only 1 at a time. The most I get are 2-3 in a row. I always blamed my birth control because I never had them before I started taking it. ) and I got the same fainting feeling as before. Now I'm scared to death to work out. This time I was only going a speed of 4 on the treadmill and I had consumed 950 calories prior to the work out.

I just can't understand why this is happening to me. I used to work out a few years ago and never had any problems. If anything my diet is better than it used to be so I should be healthier. I thought my medication was causing low magnesium (which is one of the side effects, although it's rare) but my doctor didn't think so. He said that it can cause dizziness and make you feel lightheaded but he didn't say one way or another if he thought the fainting feeling was related to the medication. I have an appointment with a cardiologist at the end of the month because I really need to find out what is causing those palpitations. I was serious about getting a bikini body this year and this is what happened :( Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I've been having some weird symptoms lately

don't exercise or try to lose weight until you see a doctor.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Get to a doctor before you do anything else. This could be something serious. :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is the ONLY one that can help you answer your questions. Please go soon. :flowerforyou:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is the ONLY one that can help you answer your questions. Please go soon. :flowerforyou:

Stop exercising until you've been checked over by your doctor!

Good luck.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I believe even on the machines it says that if you feel light or dizzy to stop exercise and see your doctor for a physical.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Pretty much echoing what everyone else is saying; see your doctor before going further.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup - what they said. Stop working out until you talk to your doctor.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    Yeah this is definitely an issue that needs professional medical advice, not from strangers on the internet. I hope you feel better soon.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    To add: please see a medical professional. A doctor.

Not a personal trainer, not a dietician, not a holistic life coach... hmmm, not even these lovely strangers on the internet.
    You only get one body, it's not worth taking a risk with it.

Wishing you good health and let us know what the doctor says!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    You've probably got blood pressure issues, But like anyone else has said already, go see a doctor regarding this!
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Almost passing out after work outs

leg day everyday? :)
  • white__wizard
    white__wizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ignore any advice anyone gives you unless it is from a practicing, licensed doctor at a doctor's office, preferably one you already go to regularly.
  • staranf
    staranf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You've probably got blood pressure issues, But like anyone else has said already, go see a doctor regarding this!

I had an upper endoscopy a few weeks ago and they checked my blood pressure and my heart rate and everything was normal. Every time I go to a dr appointment they say my blood pressure is normal. Once in awhile it's a little high because I'm anxious, but they always take it a second time and it's fine.
  • staranf
    staranf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to get a cardiologist appointment sooner than the end of the month because this is worrying me so bad. I'm afraid to sleep because I'm afraid something bad will happen. I'll update after my appointment. Thanks for all of your responses.