Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup

Options
DHalaby73
DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
This is what I'm going make Christmas morning.Not sure what nutritional value is but it's Paula Deen's recipe of course I'm substituting some of the ingredients for lighter version but it's Christmas morn so enjoy..MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE...

.1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
8 large eggs
2 cups light cream(asks for half-half)
1 cup skim or 1% milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt

Praline Topping, recipe follows
Maple syrup
Directions
Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Replies

• CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    omg that sounds amazing LOL
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lavaflow99
    lavaflow99 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    wow...sound delish! let us know how it turns out
  • BleacherAddict
    Options
    My mother makes a baked french toast that is very similar to that. We have it every Thanksgiving and Christmas morning and it is to die for! ENJOY!!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Sounds absolutely decadent.....Wonder if I can do it with gluten-free bread....?
  • harrysdiner
    harrysdiner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've made this last year on Christmas morning, It was really good!!
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    I'm sure you can use gluten free bread....I'll let everyone know how it turns out..
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow! This sounds AMAZING...I may have to try it while I am on Christmas break!!
  • HRgoldenlife
    HRgoldenlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I made this one time for a brunch with friends and served fresh fruit, mimosas, potatoes, maple bacon, etc.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm going make Christmas morning.Not sure what nutritional value is but it's Paula Deen's recipe of course I'm substituting some of the ingredients for lighter version but it's Christmas morn so enjoy..MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE...

.1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
    8 large eggs
    2 cups light cream(asks for half-half)
    1 cup skim or 1% milk
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Dash salt

Praline Topping, recipe follows
    Maple syrup
    Directions
    Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
    1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup chopped pecans
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Paula Deens' recipies are nice, if you like to cook like her, but loaded with calories, sugar, and fat. Not something that I care to make or eat even before I joined MFP. I logged your french toast recipe (without the praline) in the MFP database and I came up with the following nutritional information. I made your recipe for 6 serving, but if the recipe is for more people, then the values below will be reduced.

Per serving: 418 calories; 47 carbs; 564 sodium; 16 Protein; 11 fat and 2 Fiber. To these values you need to add the praline mix.

Happy Holidays!
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Wow is that with the lower fat version I put on here?Oh Well it's the holidays so you have to be bad sometime...MERRY CHRISTMAS
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    Oh my god! LOL
    I think I just had a mini stroke!
    hahahahahaha
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    I googled the recipe with the full fat version and this is what I found...So it has to be less if you use lower fat ingredients..

Baked French Toast
    Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 395
    Total Fat: 19.8g
    Cholesterol: 186mg
    Sodium: 408mg
    Total Carbs: 44.4g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
    Protein: 11g
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I just experimented with French toast using GF bread. Nice!! So this thing is possible with me! YAY!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you could use almond vanilla milk to cut even more of the calories down? Sounds yummy.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    I'm sure you can use Almond milk don't see why not...
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I googled the recipe with the full fat version and this is what I found...So it has to be less if you use lower fat ingredients..

Baked French Toast
    Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 395
    Total Fat: 19.8g
    Cholesterol: 186mg
    Sodium: 408mg
    Total Carbs: 44.4g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
    Protein: 11g

Yes, it is lower because it is for 12 servings and my version was for 6. I didn't know how many slices of toast were in each loaf. And yes, I logged everything the way you listed on your first posting, and the values were given by the MFP database. I am sure that the praline mix will add more but if you really enjoy this kind of breakfast, just go for it and run 10 times around the block on Monday morning. Ho, Ho, Ho!
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    I did make this and it was AWESOME...so if anyone wants to try it do it I lightened the recipe so it wasn't as bad..