Beginner weright lifter help!!!!

Options
Hey y'all. I know this question has been asked to death but I really need some answers.

I wanted to begin lifting weights and I need a very beginner workout routine so I can get all the forms and everything right. I'm 5'7 and weigh 325 pounds. I have a lot to lose and I figure it's never too soon to start lifting right?

If you could suggest some websites or routines you have found helpful when you were a beginner I would appreciate it. I know absolutely nothing about lifting and I don't want to hurt myself or look stupid in the gym when I try lifting. I haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet because I know nothing about it.

Any tips, websites, and info would help!

Thanks!

Replies

• HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    And yes I know I spelled weight wrong in the title. Sorry for typo!!!
  • RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    Just started on Stronglift 5x5. Simple, easy (to comprehend that is), helpful free app.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree Strong Lift 5x5. i didn't bother downloading their book or whatever, I just got the free app for tracking my workouts and then googled how to do the moves correctly. It's SUPER basic.

If you want to get move into it, you could try following the New Rules of Lifting book. I bought the womens book and it was pretty awesome.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I second stronglifts.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    Check these books out:

The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler

Strong Curves: The Womens' Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body by Bret Contreras

....if you want to invest in a couple of DVDs, try Chalean Extreme by beachbody.com and do those at home....you will need some dumbbells.....can also try Brazil Butt Lift DVD by beachbody.com.....will need 5lb dumbbells....there are about 5 workouts on that DVD that are awesome and the Sculpt workout is the one that uses the dumbbells....

....the books assume that you have access to a gym so they include dumbbells, barbells, exercise balls and some machines.....I work out at home so I just do the exercises that use dumbbells because that is all I have....feel free to add me as a friend and ask any questions you want.....

...I've heard StrongLifts 5x5 is a good place to start too but I have not tried that program.....

best of luck.....:)
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398
  • kerrykitten
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com

Will ask you for your weight, height etc, and recommend a workout for you and a program that you can follow easily for your fitness level. You can even print out the workouts ( like I do ) and take them along to the gym to log your sets and weights.
    It's all completely free and full of useful information about proper form.

Don't feel embarrassed about lifting in front of experienced people. I used to feel like that, hut once I saw people's faces and the noises they make, it made me chuckle and realize that I don't look as silly as they do ( except I do now I'm getting serious about it , lol ) And also we all had to start somewhere right. I have found at my gym that everyone is very encouraging.

Good luck and enjoy it, but don't start too heavy. Rather start low weights and more reps and build up slowly.

Kerry
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    4 sets of each lift and a minimum of 6 reps per set but no more than 12 reps. Find a weight that lets you stay in that range.

Monday:
    Legs and abs

Wednesday:
    Chest, shoulders, back

Fridays:
    Biceps, triceps

On the in between days you can do cardio and take the weekends off or do cardio as well. That's a rough example of what I do.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I also started with stronglifts. You start with low weights while you learn form (tons of videos online about correct form) and then you slowly increase the weight.

There's a great breakdown, links, and support group here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting routine. There's a NROL for women book that you can read first before you get started. I found it very entertaining and informative. It starts you out serious on squats and deadlifts, but of course you start at whatever weight is appropriate for you and work your way up.

Definitely look up exercise form on YouTube before you go out to the gym. I find that really helpful, and usually the people in the videos explain the mistakes beginners usually make. But! Don't be afraid of "looking stupid" or anything. People who would otherwise judge you are normally focused on themselves at the gym. And if you're doing something wrong and someone notices, they'll probably just kindly correct you. Endorphins run free at the gym, so go in there assuming everyone is nice :p
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Just started on Stronglift 5x5. Simple, easy (to comprehend that is), helpful free app.

This. For sure! I found that I need to do each work out twice before adding weight (I'm sure the Strong-lifts guy would disapprove, but it has worked wonders for me!)

Also, you probably need to just stick to the bar weight until you get the form and flexibility to safely add weight. I have no upper body strength and literally could not overhead press the bar for even one set so I had to start with smaller weighted bars and work up to the "big girl" bar haha Some giant dude looked at me like I was insane when I did a happy dance when I could actually not fail on the bar :-)
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting routine. There's a NROL for women book that you can read first before you get started. I found it very entertaining and informative. It starts you out serious on squats and deadlifts, but of course you start at whatever weight is appropriate for you and work your way up.

Definitely look up exercise form on YouTube before you go out to the gym. I find that really helpful, and usually the people in the videos explain the mistakes beginners usually make. But! Don't be afraid of "looking stupid" or anything. People who would otherwise judge you are normally focused on themselves at the gym. And if you're doing something wrong and someone notices, they'll probably just kindly correct you. Endorphins run free at the gym, so go in there assuming everyone is nice :p

I liked the concept behind NROLFW BUT I found that there were too many exercise variations that were simply to keep people from being bored. If you like variation I would recommend this, but if you like predictability in your work out...then Stronglifts is for you.
  • tracie999
    tracie999 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started weight training last july as below, training on Mon, wed & Fri

day 1
    Bench press
    Leg press
    Overhead press
    Tricep curl

Day 3
    Bar Row
    Pull down
    Dead lift
    Bicep curl

Day 5 same as day 1 and so on. I started with just a bar and logged everything everytime, i'm now 40lbs lighter, A LOT stronger and feel great. Don't be afraid to lift weights it will help you loads
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I got more feedback than I thought I would.

I was going to start with the bar alone because I have very little upper body strength and then I will gradually go to the "big girl bar".

I know I needed to do some cardio on days I wouldn't be lifting. Can I buy a bar for my house and practice there until I get form correct?
  • doubleohstatus
    Options
    *Day 1*
    +Chest+
    Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Dumbbell Flys: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Incline Dumbbell Arnold Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)

*Day 2*
    +Arms+
    -Biceps
    Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Incline Curls: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    -Triceps
    Rope or Bar Tricep Pulldowns: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Reverse Grip Tricep Pulldowns: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)

*Day 3*
    +Back+
    Deadlift: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Lat Pulldowns: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Bent over Rows: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)

*Day 4*
    +Shoulders+ (use comfortable weight, don't injure your rotator cuff :) )
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Arnold Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Barbell Shrugs: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)

*Day 5*
    +Legs+
    Squats: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Leg Curls: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)
    Calf Raises: 3 sets of 8-10 reps (use weight that land you in the 8-10 rep range)

This is a simple routine and you can do more than the suggested 3 sets if you want. As for a website, Bodybuilding.com is a pretty useful resource. Good luck on your journey!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Starting strength hasnt been mentioned but is good too...only doing 3 sets for compounds worked better for me than doing 5