HELP ME

Options
Hello,

My name is Cassie and I am a 20 year old college student. Over the past year I have developed severe allergies and many of which are to healthy food (Which sucks!). Not only that, but the medication that I was put on last summer caused me to gain twenty pounds with in three weeks. I'm trying to get back in shape but with all my allergies it seems impossible. Also I am trying to work my way into the medical field so I have very little time to really exercise. Does anyone have any ideas for me so I can actually go to the beach this summer and not feel like a whale?

Thanks,
Cassie

Replies

• amg120
    amg120 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Cassie,

I deal with some allergies as well. Can you list what you can't eat? I'm pretty good at working around restrictions (especially on a college budget).

:) Alyssa
  • stronghealthywoman
    stronghealthywoman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Cassie,

My recommendation is and this is based on experience, I'm not a doctor nor nutritionist, try to give up dairy and animal products for 1 month.

From what I know is that dairy causes too much mucous in the body and other issues as well.

Also anything that comes from animal produces too much acidity in the body and that is when we start developing too much health issues.

This is something that happen to me, for years I would wake in the am and like clock work I had allergies that last for hours.
    I'm still a cheese lover, but no longer consume it, well I took dairy out of my lifestyle, and the allergies left for good.

I say this, try it for 1 month and see it for yourself.

Give up for 1 month dairy, animal products and start juicing.

I bet that in that 1 month you will see changes in your health.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My advice is to log accurately and hit your calorie goal, and get plenty of protein. You don't need to divide foods into "healthy" and "unhealthy" categories.

What are you allergies?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Hi Cassie,

Give up for 1 month dairy, animal products and start juicing.

Sorry, this seems really silly advice to me.

If OP is not allergic to dairy products or any animal products how is eliminating them from her diet going to help?
    all it does is restrict further an already restricted diet.

and how on earth would juicing help her??.

OP, if your allergy restrictions are so difficult to work around, perhaps you should see a nutritionist or dietician to set a workable menu plan for you.
    Pretty sure such plan would not include above advice.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1) brainstorm-write a long list of everything you CAN eat.
    2) organize-think of meals you can make with those things you can eat.
    3) plan-see how these foods can help you meet your cal goals and macro goals.

try them in the food diary in different combos.

don't forget to hydrate everyday and you should be okay. even if there were only 10 foods you could eat, you would be able to eat sufficiently to get your goals met. actually having a limited number of food options might mean you'd go thru lots of the same food and be able to get it at bulk prices without it going bad if you can eat it day after day.
  • cassiecosta
    Options
    Hey everyone thanks for all the suggestions!

I am allergic to:

dressings
    sesame
    turkey
    most fish
    most plants
    lactose intolerant (but of course I still love cheese lol)

Not to mention I am allergic to everything outside (my doctor jokes that we should put me in a bubble). I take allergy medication, asthma medication (I only have 61% functional airway), and a type of steroid inhaler to try to open up my air way. The steroids make it so much harder to lose weight and the dining commons at school make my options even more limited.

Mainly every day I eat
    -Breakfast: ham and cheese omelet, fruit, or sometimes dry cereal
    -Lunch: Lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, sunflower seeds and fruit or a ham and cheese wrap
    -Dinner: Lettuce, carrots, some type of protein which is usually red meat because my school uses sesame oil in everyyyyyyyything else and always on their chicken:(
    I drink at least eight cups of water a day
    I try to work out at least 3 times a week
    And I feel like I keep gaining more!
    I find myself starving al he time because I know I'm not getting adequate nutrition and I eat processed crap to substitute when I just can't take the "rabbit-food" anymore.
  • cassiecosta
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!
  • SuziQGettinFit
    Options
    Cassie, have you tried protein shakes? That might help to keep you fuller longer. I personally use a vegan protein powder, made of rice protein. It is gluten, dairy, sugar and soy free and is mostly organic. Are you allergic to soy?
  • cassiecosta
    Options
    No soy I can eat! Maybe I should give them a try. Is there any brand you suggest or any store you think I should purchase them from?
  • SuziQGettinFit
    Options
    There are sooooo many kinds. You have to read the labels very, very carefully. I use PGX Vegan Double Chocolate. Like I said, there is no gluten, dairy, sugar or soy (all of which I avoid) and it is mostly organic. It also helps me to stay full longer. I use a Magic Bullet blender and put in 1/3 of a banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, sometimes some chopped spinach or kale. Then just bottled water. You can also add almond milk or such, I just don't find I need it and don't want the extra calories. Some people also add a tablespoon of either flax seed or chia seed just for the fiber. I can only get the PGX at the health food store and it goes on sale for around $26 and is 15 servings. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You should consult with a dietitian to help you develop a plan that works with your medication.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've heard that cooking most vegetables take out what causes allergic reactions (something about the allergens being in pollen or something, but I don't have food allergies so I can't say for sure), so is cooking them an option? You don't have to eat them raw.

ETA: I don't see chicken mentioned. Chicken is high in protein, low in calories and very good for you. I eat it regularly and you can find lots of awesome, creative recipes online.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone thanks for all the suggestions!

I am allergic to:

dressings
    sesame
    turkey
    most fish
    most plants
    lactose intolerant (but of course I still love cheese lol)

Not to mention I am allergic to everything outside (my doctor jokes that we should put me in a bubble). I take allergy medication, asthma medication (I only have 61% functional airway), and a type of steroid inhaler to try to open up my air way. The steroids make it so much harder to lose weight and the dining commons at school make my options even more limited.

Mainly every day I eat
    -Breakfast: ham and cheese omelet, fruit, or sometimes dry cereal
    -Lunch: Lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, sunflower seeds and fruit or a ham and cheese wrap
    -Dinner: Lettuce, carrots, some type of protein which is usually red meat because my school uses sesame oil in everyyyyyyyything else and always on their chicken:(
    I drink at least eight cups of water a day
    I try to work out at least 3 times a week
    And I feel like I keep gaining more!
    I find myself starving al he time because I know I'm not getting adequate nutrition and I eat processed crap to substitute when I just can't take the "rabbit-food" anymore.

Curious, what school do you go to?
    My husband runs college food service (in Boston), he works with students with allergies all the time to get them exactly what they need for meals.

If you can't work out, then you'll have to work at keeping under your TDEE to help keep the weight off.
  • cassiecosta
    Options
    I will have to try protein shakes!

I go to Umass amherst currently. Also I do work out just only around 3 times a week, I am on a soccer team, I try to go for a run at least once a week, and I do HIIT at least once. I know this is not a lot but I try!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options

I go to Umass amherst currently. Also I do work out just only around 3 times a week, I am on a soccer team, I try to go for a run at least once a week, and I do HIIT at least once. I know this is not a lot but I try!

My son goes to UMass Amherst (sophomore) - he works at Berk. :)

UMass Amherst has one of the BEST rated college dining services in the country. If you talk with the food service manager on duty they should help you find foods that you can eat - if not talk to Ryan Pipczynski, he is the head manager and will definitely help you.

I think you have plenty of activity going on. That shouldn't be a problem.

#1 problem for college students besides all you can eat (which you aren't because of allergies) is drinking calories. Not saying you are but it happens - a lot. :wink:

HTH - Good luck!
  • cassiecosta
    Options

My son goes to UMass Amherst (sophomore) - he works at Berk. :)

UMass Amherst has one of the BEST rated college dining services in the country. If you talk with the food service manager on duty they should help you find foods that you can eat - if not talk to Ryan Pipczynski, he is the head manager and will definitely help you.

I think you have plenty of activity going on. That shouldn't be a problem.

#1 problem for college students besides all you can eat (which you aren't because of allergies) is drinking calories. Not saying you are but it happens - a lot. :wink:

HTH - Good luck!

Thanks so much for the information! I'm going to keep trying to talk to them and figure out some food options!
    I'm a sophomore too! haha