How did you get moving?

Options
I have once again started over with MFP and I want to get moving again. I used to do C25K, but my energy level is not what it used to be. I'm battling some health issues which I'm trying to help with eating better and weigh loss, but it's completely boofing my energy at the moment.

I'm thinking about walking, but I really don't know how to track the caloric burn from walking. I can't really afford a HRM or something like that at this moment. So I guess my question is in 2 parts...

#1 How did you start out moving?

#2 How did you start out tracking your caloric burns?

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I have once again started over with MFP and I want to get moving again. I used to do C25K, but my energy level is not what it used to be. I'm battling some health issues which I'm trying to help with eating better and weigh loss, but it's completely boofing my energy at the moment.

I'm thinking about walking, but I really don't know how to track the caloric burn from walking. I can't really afford a HRM or something like that at this moment. So I guess my question is in 2 parts...

When I started I was on medical restrictions that I couldn't be on my feet for more than 5 minutes at a time, so I set a reminder in my email that once an hour said "Get off your A** and stand up", and that is exactly what I did stood up and moved around my living room for 3-4 minutes. Repeated over and over again.

Once my health improved slightly I was able to get a mini bike that I could peddle while sitting at my desk, improved more I moved to a stationary bike. Now I use the stationary and my road bike.

When I was just starting out I wasn't really concerned with calorie burns because the number was so small, I used it to cover the margin for error in my logging. Once I started actually being able to truly exercise and go for hour long bike rides I used MFP to log them and ate back 1/2 of my exercise calories to account for inaccurate logging of intake or burn.

Now I work off the TDEE - 20% and only log my exercise as 1 calorie so I can just track my activity not the burn.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you think that MFP is accurate when it comes to logging calorie burns?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    one foot in front of the other.
  • michellemybelll
    Options
    it's as accurate as you are honest.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I started (this time) iwth Zumba. My daughter was doing it and kept telling me how fun it was, so I gave it a try. She was right, it was really fun. Fun enough to make me want to keep doing it.

But, walking is also great exercise. If you are not sure of your calorie burns, I would go with one of these options.

1. Set your activity level to active or lightly active (depending on the amount you plan to walk) and then not eating back exercise calories, since they will already be included. Either don't log the walks, or change the amount of calories burned to 1 (MFP won't all zero)

2. Log the walks, but only eat back 1/2 - 3/4 of the calories, to allow for error.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No point in lying about it... It really does me no good...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just... went for a walk at my local park. It had mile markers. I walked to the 1 mile and then walked all the way back to get in my car and drive home. Being outdoors was so nice and it cleared my head, and I felt good, so I kept doing it.

I personally use a HRM, but I read someone on here once say that their running coach said you can approximate 100 calories per 1 mile. It doesn't matter if you run it or walk it, it's pretty much just that. However that number fluctuates alot based on your weight and activity level. BUT it's a good baseline. If you use MFP, just assume it's 1/2.
  • Evelynnn2014
    Options
    I was sluggish at first. I didn't even exercise for the first couple of weeks, but stayed within my calories. Gradually I was inspired by my loss to take it up a notch by walking, later running on treadmill, eventually threw in some weights. For me I've got to ease into it and listen to my body or I'll hate and dread it. But now I'm really pumped and exercising almost every day. I just use the mfp to determine calories burned, but I don't eat them all back in case it's an over estimate. The treadmill, of course, tells me amount burned, too.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Definitely not true. MFP way over estimates calorie burn. The most accurate you can get right now is to buy a heart rate monitor. And this will only be accurate for steady cardio. MFP will often say I burn 500 calories when my heart rate monitor says 400.

And since you can't get a HRM right now, the only other semi-accurate way is if you use a treadmill and you can enter your age and weight.
    You CAN use mfp for their estimates but I would cut their estimate by 15%-20%
  • trhauser
    trhauser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A great playlist can really help to motivate. Good luck!!!!
  • michellemybelll
    Options

Definitely not true. MFP way over estimates calorie burn. The most accurate you can get right now is to buy a heart rate monitor. And this will only be accurate for steady cardio. MFP will often say I burn 500 calories when my heart rate monitor says 400.

And since you can't get a HRM right now, the only other semi-accurate way is if you use a treadmill and you can enter your age and weight.
    You CAN use mfp for their estimates but I would cut their estimate by 15%-20%

well, we disagree then. How does a calculator over estimate?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Music! Music! Music!

As far as tracking, check different websites along with MFP, and use the more conversative number.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I strapped my tenni's on and jogged down the street. When I got to the end I collapsed with heart racing, gasping to breath. Once I stopped seeing spots I got a cab and rode home.

The next day I decided just to walk. Each day further and further. Eventually it got totally boring so I started jogging in intervals. VERY short intervals, then back to walking. Rinse and repeat until I was eventually running/jogging.

I've actually never counted my exercise. For one most of it these days is playing soccer. In the goal I don't run at all but my heart is racing the entire time (my team's not very good, lol). I've no idea how to go about calculating that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I started out just walking. My first week in I just did 20 minutes 3x that week...the next week I did the same but did five days...the third week I bumped it up to 30 minutes and walked seven days. The fourth week I ramped things up to about 60 minutes seven days and covered about 3 miles. I basically did that for another month or so...just walking about 3 miles per day, every day.

Two months in and I was walking 3 miles daily and had lost roughly 12-15 Lbs. That's when I started to make three of those days running days and did a C25K program. Once I completed that program I kept up with running basically 3 miles 3x weekly and walking the other days and started mixing in some calisthenics.

About a month later I decided that I really wanted to get back in the weight room...so at this point I was running 3x weekly, walking 4x weekly for three miles and doing a full body strength training program 3x weekly (generally on my non-running days). I also did a couple of 5Ks during this time.

About six months in and I decided I wanted something more challenging than a 5K so I started training for a sprint triathlon...which is when I fell back in love with my bicycle. I ended up not being able to do the triathlon due to an injury, but the bonus here was that I found a passion for riding my bike that I never really had with running. These days I don't run much and I ride a lot and I love lifting.

I'm about 18 months from where I started and a completely different person...I'm about 40 Lbs lighter and leaner...I'm way stronger and I have my fitness back. Before all of this I was a 2-3 PAD smoker who was winded just walking the dog for 10 minutes...currently I am training for a metric century ride and also looking forward to the fall and hopefully doing some cyclocross racing.

Initially used a walking app on my phone. I didn't bother eating back my walking calories. Once I started running I purchased a HRM and started eating back about 80-85% of those calorie burns from running. I now use the TDEE method vs the MFP (NEAT) method.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to start. Pick an activity that you think you will enjoy and try it out. If walking seems like something you would enjoy then walk. If walking becomes too easy you can walk further, walk faster, run, hike, etc.

Calorie burns through MFP are usually high. Personally I log 2/3 of what mfp says and eat most or all of that back. It works for me. Use the calculator on mfp start by eating back a certain percentage (3/4 or half would be good starting points) wait a few weeks and see how accurate it is based on your loss.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Runtastic and Run Keeper both have free APPS if you have a smart phone. I have used them both to track my walking.
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out.. my evenings were too busy for me to be able to form any sort of routine.. I knew that I had to work out in the AM if I was going to do this right.

So, for 2 weeks I set my alarm for 4:45 with full plans to get to the gym for 5:00AM. For 2 WEEKS every night before bed, I set my alarm, told myself I was going to the gym tomorrow.. every morning my alarm would go off, I would get up, pee, and say F that while I crawled back into bed.

Then, one day I went! I worked out, I didn’t die and I spent that whole day exhausted yet amazed that I pulled it off.

Then, the next day.. I went again!

And the day after...

You get where I’m going..

That was 8 months ago, been going strong ever since!

The moral of the story is, sometimes you just need to pick up and do it :)