Not enough calories

Options
More often than not, I get the message that I am not eating enough calories and this could slow down my metabolism. I'm wondering....if this is true, then how do those gastric bypass/lap band surgeries work? I mean, don't folks who get those procedures eat only a tiny amount of food? And they lose tons of weight. Confused.....

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat at least 1200 every day. It is ok for people post-gastric surgery to eat less than this only because they are under constant medical care. There are doctors regularly checking their bloodwork for problems.

If you aren't in a medically supervised weightloss program, no adult human being in the world should ever eat less than 1200 calories per day in order to lose weight. There are people with thyroid problems and other metabolic problems who eat less. But again, they're under a doctor's care.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    What WBB55 says is absolutely right

however ...

many people who get the automated MFP message about too few calories are actually not logging accurately
    Things to check: are you weighing solids and measuring liquids? have you actually checked the nutritional information that you log against the packets? (don't forget that some users are from right around the world and the same product brand name may be different in other countries, also some users make incomplete entried to the database becasue they only care about tracking one measure) are you also logging those things that some of us forget (sometimes on purpose) the fruits the sweets, the sodas and the liquids? and despite our best guesses - most of us estimate protions incorectly
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    More often than not, I get the message that I am not eating enough calories and this could slow down my metabolism. I'm wondering....if this is true, then how do those gastric bypass/lap band surgeries work? I mean, don't folks who get those procedures eat only a tiny amount of food? And they lose tons of weight. Confused.....

These individuals are often closely monitored by medical staff whose job is to keep them healthy. You, however, are more than likely on your own.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It's called metabolic slow-down. Google that and/or metabolic adaption. This is why your deficit should be small. And why all the successful people on here say slow and steady. Those having surgery like that have a HUGE amount to lose and can carry a large deficit, to a point. That's why they're medically supervised throughout it all.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

No, it isn't true. However eating too little can make you feel tired. Not a great idea to eat super low calories. Your body can start burning more muscle, which isn't what any of us want. But the metabolism thing is largely a myth.
    It's called metabolic slow-down. Google that and/or metabolic adaption.

After you google that, google "Starvation mode myth" and "Minnesota Starvation Experiment".
  • someone1958
    Options
    Thanks! This is a good read! Exactly what i was wondering about.