Body Recomposition

Options
I am trying to work on my body composition and lowering my body fat percentage. I have finally landed at a healthy overall weight, and haven't budged much in the past year or so.

I'm 5'5", 144 lbs., 26-28% bodyfat depending on what method you use (yikes!) and a vegetarian.

I was eating at around 1200 calories (for at least the past year or more) and weighed 137 lbs. My exercise primarily involved cardio with some light strength training, but I always struggled to make it through my workouts (likely because I was not properly fueling my body). My body composition was definitely not what I wanted; I was just a smaller, skinny-fat version of myself with all of the same problem areas.

I recently (mid February) increased my calories to 1645, and I've gained a few pounds, taking me up to 144. I've also started a new fitness program, dropping the long cardio sessions for more challenging strength training and HIIT. I'm becoming more consistent with my workout program (I started about three weeks ago. It is significantly harder for me, which is good, but it makes forcing myself not to quit midway through a workout more challenging.)

I just want to know, am I doing the right things? When can I expect to begin losing fat again? Should I be factoring in my macros? I try to hit the recommended guidelines as much as I can every day, (50% carbs: 30% fat, 20% protein) and I'm just not sure on protein because I've read so many different opinions on the pros/cons of a high protein diet. Being a vegetarian also makes it difficult.

I would say my biggest flaw at this point would definitely be allowing myself too many "binges" on sweets several times a week. I'm working on trying to get that under control primarily, because otherwise I eat relatively healthy and try to work out consistently. I just want to make sure I'm doing all the right things so that I can finally stop sabotaging myself and enjoy this summer fit and healthy.

Advice would be great!

Replies

• brookeebuchanan
    Options
    Shameless bump!
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'll give it another bump for you!

Why did you increase to 1645?
  • brookeebuchanan
    Options
    I originally was following MFP's generic guidelines, but over this winter I did a calorie calculator through WebMD which told me to eat closer to 1645 calories to lose weight. Also, I've done numerous other calorie calculators they tend to give me a similar response.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale and log everything? If so, for how long?

Do you eat back exercise calories?
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you're doing strength training it's a good idea to get enough protein. Anywhere from .75g to 1.5g per pound of body weight is good - I aim for 1g/lb, but I often don't make it. Ah well, all about constant improvement! Assuming you're not vegan, low-fat dairy and egg whites are great sources of protein, as are protein powders. I'm actually drinking some protein coffee now :)

Also if you find the right protein powder, it's delicious - I make a protein shake with a scoop of chocolate powder, a cup of skim milk and a cold banana and it tastes just like a milkshake. Way healthier than the sweets you're probably eating now.

I also think 1645 is a better amount of calories, but make sure that you are logging correctly. Never "eyeball" portions and try to use the USDA official food entries when possible (those are the ones without the asterisk.)
  • brookeebuchanan
    Options
    I don't use a food scale, but I do log everything. I've done so consistently since January of this year. I try to eat back most of my exercise calories, but I'm never sure how many I really should eat back.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't use a food scale, but I do log everything. I've done so consistently since January of this year. I try to eat back most of my exercise calories, but I'm never sure how many I really should eat back.

I've read from several folks on here to only eat back about 50% of exercise calories, just to make sure you aren't over eating.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Pick up a food scale. $15-25 on Amazon or whatever. Use it for at least a couple weeks, so you can nail down your estimates (keep using longer if you want, of course).

You're using a calorie target from a website that already includes your activities. So eating back exercise calories is double-counting against that target.

Check this out if you haven't:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I second the adequate protein amounts. The rule of thumb I use is 0.7 g protein per lb bodyweight (or 1 g per lb lean body mass). Some of the folks that are looking for major muscle increase will suggest twice that much. If you're looking for recomp, the best thing you can do is lift heavy and a session or two of HIIT -- sprints are some of the best. I personally like the 3x5 program from Starting Strength -- good ol' fashion barbell exercises.

It looks like that's what you're already doing -- so just stick with it. Body recomp takes a while, so think about at least a good 3-6 months to see noticeable results.

Check out Staci's story on her recomp -- it's pretty impressive: nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/