why now and how does it feel

Options
My whole life I have been waiting for the day I would wake up and actually do something about my weight loss.
And that there would be this AHA moment. But that was not true for me. I just knew with school and living in a new country the only way to sucueed and be healthy is losing weight. Its been so hard and have had binges! but i continue to get back on the horse. Hoping one day i wont have the binges anymore.

So why did you choose to lose weight.
How are you feeling now that you lost weight.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Health

Excellent!

"If you don't do what's best for your body, you're the one who comes up on the short end." - Julius Erving
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It's all about life and being able to live it. I want to be happy, healthy and active which is a bit difficult at my current weight.
  • runitskat
    runitskat Posts: 30
    Options
    My husband had to lose weight to get his blood pressure down (he was on the fast track to a heart attack) so I started the journey with him. I honestly feel the same as I did before. The physical part of weight loss was easy for me. The mental part is very hard.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've always had low self esteem, so for once in my life I would like to feel good about myself.

But it was the birth of my son that kicked me into finally doing it. I want to be active and healthy throughout his life and be able to keep up with his butt. ;)
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the AHA moment either. I have been gaining slowly, and last time I reached the 200lb mark, I did something about it. Now I'm back up to 202lbs, and I need to change something. I don't want to be losing and gaining the same 20lbs for the rest of my life. I feel more of a determination than an 'epiphany'.
  • jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not about that AHA moment... sometimes it never comes. Honestly it's about just making up your mind that you're going to do it and that you're going to stick with it. There are always going to obstacles in your way, but you need to leap over those hurdles and do what you need to do. It's about not making excuses and being self-empowering.
    It take a whole lot of willpower to get over those urges to binge, but you just need to do it. If you keep giving into those urges, they aren't going to magically vanish. You need to force yourself to overcome them.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ...Hoping one day i wont have the binges anymore.

So why did you choose to lose weight.
    How are you feeling now that you lost weight.

(1) why are you binging?
    (a) Do you cut your calories way too low most days, and then you're so hungry that one day a week or one day every two weeks you just eat and eat non stop? or is it
    (b) You have unhealthy food in the house that you can't resist?
    (c) You're treating emotional issues/stress with food?

I'm not judging, ok? It's just that if you know what behavior you need to change, analyzing WHY you do it might help you stop

(2) Because I didn't want to be fat
    (3) Like a million bucks
  • pmcanaya
    pmcanaya Posts: 2
    Options
    Unfortunately I think many Aha moments are realized during some type of health crisis. I have struggled with my weight FOREVER!!! I remember being self concious about my weight as young as 6 yrs old. I was never the skinny, fast running kid. I have a son who is 5 and I want to be here for him, have fun with him. I don't want to worry about getting on a plane anymore and asking for a seatbelt extension or feeling like I am invading my flight neighbor's space. I am at the point right now that I am fed up and tired of being fat. I am taking things one day at a time. I started a journal with this process to write down how I am feeling and why. I do find carbs and sugars are an addiction for me, so just like other addictions, I try to stay away from the unhealthy carbs (sweets, breads, rice, pasta, potatoes) and I do love those things!!!! I am making small goals for myself, as the overall total weight loss I need to achieve is overwhelming to me, so I am taking it one step at a time. Your binges may be from addictions to certain foods, just something to think about. I truly feel like I am going through "withdrawals" when I cut that stuff out of my diet. I am not expecting that I will be the size I was in high school (didn't realize it then, but I was skinny), but I want to be healthy and have some energy. I take each day with renewed commitment and somedays that is very tough! Good Luck on your endeavors, I hope you discover your aha moment.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't really remember an aha moment...

This time started out like every other time...I was sick of being the "fat" friend and I hated shopping..

Last year in January I decided to lose weight...I got pretty low but wanted to be lower...

I join mfp...it has just sort of happened for me this time...

The only Aha moment I had was when I saw a success thread on women who lift heavy...and I remembered how good I felt when I was strong before...

But that was 35lbs in...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I was always very active and fit...I was a track and field sprinter and jumper from 2nd grade through my senior year in high school...I also played all manner of other sports growing up from football to gymnastics to swimming to water polo...wrestling, you name it and I've at least tried my hand at it.

After high school I went into the military and was basically paid to train...when back to civilian life I returned to college but didn't own a car and rode my bike everywhere or walked and spent weekends playing roller hockey with my buddies and doing a lot of hiking and whatnot.

When I turned 30 I graduated and took a desk job...I bought a care and got married and spent way less time playing roller hockey and hiking and what not...I became rather sedentary and packed on about 50 Lbs over the course of 8 years. To boot my health really suffered and a trip to the doctors office was the wake up call I needed. I became very concerned with my health and immediately started making changes to rectify that...namely getting better nutrition and exercising more. I thought it would be hard, but once I was into it for about a month or so it was like re-discovering the old me and I re-gained my passion for fitness and nutrition.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I decided that I want to look and feel better about myself. I also want to be able to be active and keep up with my boys. No ah ha moment yet. Each jean size I drop, I decided that I don't want to go backwards anymore.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I never had an overarching AHA moment either. For years, I said I wanted to lose weight. I tried to lose a couple of times - did lose some a couple of times, slacked off and gained it back plus some. I didn't like the way I looked, but on balance (whether I wanted to admit it or not) I didn't want to do what it would take to lose. I wanted to eat what I wanted, I wanted not to work out, and I wanted the defense shield my body provided (they don't like me? probably because I'm fat. what judgemental *kitten* they are, I wouldn't want to like them anyway) - those things were more important to me than my health/weight/appearance.

I did want to make some changes after my daughter was born. As she's been growing (she'll be 2 in May), the importance of diet and eating and exercise has been on my mind. As has the idea that I don't want her to be embarrassed by me, because I'm fat (embarrassed because I give her a big noisy kiss in front of her friends or show up at her school play and cheer obnoxiously? sure! but not because I disgust other people). I want to be able to chase her if she runs away in the store or at the park. I want to live long enough to see her as an adult.

But even so - excuses, busy (hey, it's TOUGH to juggle all the things and more time for food prep and cooking and dishes and exercising? from where? I still work 9 hours a day and commute 1.5 hours per day . . . and what about time for my husband and I? or just for me - and exercise is torture, not me time?), life, wahhh.

One day, I literally decided on the spot to do a Whole30 challenge. I wasn't well prepared, the first couple of days sucked until I got a store and got more supplies. It wasn't about weight loss, really. It was a challenge to myself to change my habits and behaviors. And I did it. And after doing it, I lost a lot of weight and wanted to lose more, but still wasn't quite ready for real changes.

Decided in December that if I wanted to change, I was the only person who could do it - and that if I could do a whole30 successfully then I *could* make those changes. So I set some goals, signed up for a dietbet10 (six months to lose 10% of your starting weight) and started exercising. Completed another whole30. Exercised harder (when I started, I couldn't do more than 2 minutes in a row at the easiest setting on the elliptical - now I can jog for 30 minutes without stopping. I don't *like* doing it, but I *can*), busted my knee, got off whole30, decided paleo isn't for me, found MFP, tweaked my calories, got a fitbit and realized one day that I'd lost 40 lbs. Which, you know? Not insignificant!

So I keep going. It's not always easy. I don't want to do it every day (but I do - boy did I wince as I entered this past weekend's birthday/I don't give a flip caloric festival!), and I am struggling now under a serious stress at work and seriously reduced activity levels (and less calories to eat), but . . . it's still working. I had to buy new clothes. And a pants size I haven't seen in literally 11 years FITS. It feels good. I know I'm healthier. I know I'm setting a good example for my daughter so that hopefully, exercise is a normal, integrated part of her day and so that she doesn't have the serious food issues I have had to battle. And hopefully this is setting me up for an easier time conceiving the next child and an easier pregnancy (because I'm high risk anyway, and have increased risk of developing pre-eclampsia earlier than I did with my daughter's pregnancy). That is the motivation I need on days like today when I want to say eff it and have a damn cookie even though I already had a splurge and have no room left.

Small, sustainable changes are what work for me now. It took one big, sweeping change and a lot of overlapping smaller motivations to get me to where I could do this, but I'm here. Doing it. And that's a good thing.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was always heavy starting since about teenage years - when I hit my 40's I had gotten up to 340lbs and had trouble walking down the street. I was out with friends and I had to wait for them to get the car to pick me up because I was in too much pain to make it back to the car

Over a year and 1/2 later, I am at a relatively svelte 170 and I have never felt better

On top of that, pre weight loss I was Type 2 diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diagnosed with sleep apnea, etc

Now I don't take any meds for the diabetes and the sleep apnea diagnosis is gone - blood pressure pills have shrunk to 1/2 of one a day (where I was taking 4 different ones previously just for regulating my blood pressure)

So all in all - I am loving the changes in everything right now - including being able to cancel my plus size store credit cards
  • acaciamavro
    acaciamavro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mine is kind of funny. I actually attribute the whole thing to how cheap I am. lol
    I went to check out a gym, since I love to swim and I saw that they had a really nice pool, and of course they did the "If you join today, on your first time coming in, you get an extra 20% off, plus, since it's still January, we have a promotion for an extra 10% off and since the day ends in Y, you get an 4 extra months free." Plus I could get even more discounts since I had health insurance and AAA and shoes on, or whatever, bringing the monthly cost down almost by half. Being a rather frugal person, I perked up at the thought of so much savings! However, being cheap too, it still seemed like a lot of money to spend. I debated for a few minutes, but really liked the place, and figured I'd be back within a week to sign up anyway, but would wind up paying double if I didn't do it that day, so decided to go for it.

Well, I know myself well enough to know that my new enthusiasm for going to this gym would only last for maybe 2 or 3 months, so I'd better get my money's worth as much as I could during that time, so I started going every day. I even started showering at the gym every day instead of at home (let them pay for the hot water - I'm even saving on electricity by coming here! lol).
    My aha moment only came later, about 2 weeks in, once I kind of noticed I had already started going to the gym and eating right, and that clothes were already feeling more comfortable, and I was just generally feeling happier overall. I realized that I had already taken the first few steps, and been doing all these good things for myself, and said, yeah, I agree, that IS a good idea, let's keep doing that! That's when I joined here, started tracking everything I ate and did, working out almost religiously, and spending far too much time learning everything I possibly can about my new hobby!

It's now about 2 and a half months in, and I'm down 26 lbs and about 40" overall (26" off just my main 3 measurements!), and I know I'm never going back. I don't see the 3 month burnout coming this time (hoping not to jinx myself....), since I think I'm doing it right this time, with combining the exercise with good diet, and switching between strength training and different types of cardio to keep from getting too bored with just one machine, like I've done before, and so far, I'm still loving the whole thing.

I've already gotten my money's worth, and then some, and my next 14 months of the gym membership all feel like extra at this point, but it doesn't even matter anymore, since the place has become like my second home, and I miss it when I have to take a day off. I don't remember ever feeling this good in my life, both physically and emotionally - most of the time anyway. There are still hard days of course, but I feel able to get through them, especially on days that I get to go throw heavy stuff around! I still have a hard time believing that I'm even doing this, as I did not see it coming until I had already started! :-)
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I've had plenty of Aha!!! Moments...where I see pics and want to change...but never did.

I joined MFP previously about three years ago and lost thirty lbs....started a job...and forgot about it. I literally thought I had no time for it...WRONG!!! Last year around the end of January a friend of mine said she was using MFP..and I thought hmmm...why not try again? Couldn't hurt right?

I logged back in and realized I had very few friends left from before that logged in. I didn't have many to begin with anyways.

I started logging my foods and realized..I can do this! Its not that hard. Then, after gaining friends, losing 30 lbs., and hearing about this gym thing...that I hadn't ever been to...LOL...I decided with my tax return money to pay for a full year with trainer. That way I couldn't back out of it!

It was the wisest move I have ever made!!! I have come so far!!! I crave long walks...I crave getting to the gym. They are so supportive of me there. I'm the client that has lost so much weight..if I can do it anyone can. I am a goal-setter...a goal-smasher and I will get where I'm going!

Sure I have ups and downs...mostly centered on the fact that I'm still a single mom who rarely dates...that I am still not where I want to be..though my confidence is pretty much through the roof. I walk out in public and know I'm an amazing person and nobody can tell me different...not even that little kid down the street that likes to tell my kids I'm fat...wish I could shed some years back to minor territory and drop-kick that kid a few times...but hey..I'm Awesome..and that's all that matters ;)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i lost weight so i would not be the biggest on the holiday last year. After the holiday I decided it was still worth carrying on.
    I love being smaller and fitter and stronger than i was last year. So much choice in the shops, more shops i can enter. find it abit overwhelming at the the moment when shopping. but overwise am happy.
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think my moment was looking at my wedding pictures and feeling horrible about the way I looked in some of them. I wanted to lose weight before the wedding, and I did lose a few pounds but not nearly enough. I just got tired of my clothes not fitting and looking fat in pictures and in reality. I've tried off and on for 4 years to lose weight and I've really never lost more than 4 or 5 pounds at a time. This time I'm really pushing myself because I truly am sick of the way I look and feel.