All-inclusive resort food options for low carb/gluten free

Options
So, I'm headed to a 5 -start all-inclusive resort (Mexico) in about 24 days. I'm maintaining a low-carb lifestyle & I'm also celiac. I've never been to an all-inclusive resort before, does anybody have any tips, suggestions or even a heads-up as to what to expect for food choices while away at a resort? I'm a bit nervous that everything is going to have a tonne of carbs and gluten :indifferent:

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can ask for gluten free options. I was just at an all inclusive, and they menus are not huge, there are a handful of selections each night at each restaurant.
  • xoNikki246
    Options
    There is always good old salads and meats with veggies options. That's what I ate at a resort a month ago, lots of caesar salads with chicken, and steamed veggies with some kind of meat. It's definitely harder when your not cooking for yourself but I'm sure there will be a lot of options for you.
  • LisaFos1
    LisaFos1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was in mexico last summer, stayed in the riu yucatan and the food was amazing. Tons of choice from meat, fish, veg, salad pasta, pizza, chilli (of course!) you name it! I am not sure how your choices will be affected in terms of gluten free but I am sure you will still have a lot to choose from. Could you email the hotel before you go and ask their advice?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You're on vacation. Eat whatever you want and drink copious amounts of alcohol.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    eat. it. all.

and then when you get home, do whatever you had success with before your vacation.

enjoy yourself to the fullest.

edited: if you have to avoid gluten for medical reasons, then by all means do that, but beyond that....jut enjoy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if it's 5 star can't you just inform the chef in advance and ask what options are suitable for you and whether he or she can adapt any of the meals for you?

Although if it's just for dieting i agree with HelWithThis... if you're gluten free because of allergy/intolerance then speak to the chef. And still have fun.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've traveled all inclusive before.

Forget the diet. Forget goals and all of this. Just have fun. It's vacation and you only get the chance to enjoy it so rarely.

Order all the food and drinks and enjoy yourself. You won't put on much weight.

Seriously, it's all inclusive. You have a license to go ape ****. Don't miss that chance.

Must agree with this. Eat whatever doesnt bother your celiac
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    if it's 5 star can't you just inform the chef in advance and ask what options are suitable for you and whether he or she can adapt any of the meals for you?

Although if it's just for dieting i agree with HelWithThis... if you're gluten free because of allergy/intolerance then speak to the chef. And still have fun.

I was going to say the same thing.

If its "all-inclusive," then they should be able to handle special requests.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Usually I'd agree with "eat all the foods while on vacation" but as you say you have coeliac disease I'd say all inclusive usually don't have a very extensive food choice but they do usually have a choice of meats and a salad bar so you should be able to find things you can eat :flowerforyou:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the carbs but eat anything that doesn't set off a celiac episode! You're on vacation, enjoy it!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Also, I would think you wouldn't be the first person with Celiac disease to visit their resort, though, I could be wrong.
  • MoeNificent
    MoeNificent Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm heading on vacation to an all-inclusive resort (Dominican Republic) in a couple of weeks. I emailed the resort customer service email and requested they send a menu from each of the resort's restaurants. I sorted through and chose/highlighted the healthier options so i'm prepared. Most of the restaurants are only open for dinner (some for lunch) So breakfast will be a veggie egg white omelette with little/no cheese or cereal and skim milk. Lunch I will probably have to contend with some sort of buffet, so it will probably be a big salad with protein or veggies with protein. My goal is to load up on veggies and protein, stay away from the carbs, and focus on enjoying the beach instead of using it as an excuse to gorge myself.
  • soberlicious
    soberlicious Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    eat. it. all.

and then when you get home, do whatever you had success with before your vacation.

enjoy yourself to the fullest.

edited: if you have to avoid gluten for medical reasons, then by all means do that, but beyond that....jut enjoy.

^ i agree. do what you need to do to stay healthy re: your gluten allergy. but other than that, relax a bit because you're on VACAAAAAAAAAATION BABY.