Trail Running

Options
Anybody got any tips of how to start trail running, I hate jogging so looking for more of a challenge and thought maybe trail running would suit or as us old people call it in the UK cross country running.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Make sure you know the trail/network, have appropriate shoes/socks, and let someone know where you'll be along with an ETA. Also, some trails might be off limits if it recently rained due to muddy footprints setting in the trail when it dries.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I love to do some trail running, it is really important however to know the trails you are running and have a map. I once found myself quite turned around, when my hiking app lost signal ontop of a mountain.. turning my 3 mile planned run into a 8 mile actual run.

A good pair of trail runners is key too... make sure they are comfortable yet with a firm enough sole that you are not feeling every rock along the way.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above advice - know the trails and wear proper footwear. I like to hike trails before running them, taking note of the roots & rocks and elevation change. When you are taking your time walking it's much easier to gain familiarity with the trail.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes. Nothing sucks worse than slipping/sliding every two seconds and ending up face first into the ground or worse.

Proper socks if you are going to wear shorts. Poison Ivy/Oak/bugs/ticks whatever blows and you are bound to run into it if you are going through the woods at some point.

Know the trails, don't get lost out there especially if you decide to go near dusk.

Hydration. Find a way to bring water with you. Small snacks as well.

Turn your music off and be aware of your surroundings.

Take your four legged friend with you :) you need to work up his/her endurance first. A dog will himself into the ground before stopping bc you ask them to do so. Don't be that person. They need to work up their endurance just as people do.

When you get to longer runs, pack and take your lunch with you. It is an awesome experience.

Can't wait to start the trails again this year.
  • gonegonzo
    gonegonzo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner and have to pace myself due to bad feet . I do love the outdoors however and though painful at times , love hiking trails .

My question is this : can hiking trails be as effective as running them ?

Thx
    Gonzo
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Trail runs are fun but can be an injury waiting to happen. When first starting out try to find a nature park nearby that is runner friendly. These parks often have running trails that mark distance and difficulty. There is also the added security that there are employees who check the trails throughout the day and before the park closes.
    Always let someone know where you are running, the trail you plan to take, and what time they should expect a call from you. Make sure this person is someone that will report you missing if you fail to make that call, make sure you make that call.
    Start out slow, trail running is full of perils. Mother nature has a wicked sense of humor and she rather enjoys falls and uncomfortable encounters with beasts of varying sorts.
    Be very mindful of you energy level!! This is important. It's very easy to get distracted and find you have traveled farther than your reserve, it will be a long sucky trip getting back when you do this.
    You may want to learn about nature, specifically survival nature courses. There are many plants encountered that can be used for fuel or medicine. Sounds silly now but get lost once miles from civilization, no phone reception,etc...
  • Loz220662
    Loz220662 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll start with walking or rambling the country paths first and build up to runs.