"Fake" meat products for vegetarians, your opinion please

Replies

• LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    I relied a lot on the "fake meats" when I was a newer veg, but I barely eat them at all anymore. I don't like that they are still a heavily processed food and have a lot of salt, chemicals, etc. that I want to attempt to limit. That said, they are handy in terms of convenience and quick protein. Especially when you are out or visiting, it just makes life easier! When I eat them now I prefer the Boca Vegan Burgers or the Morningstar Garden Veggie ones - those are just my personal preference. Oh and Field Roast stuff - mmmmm. I used to limit myself to one fake meat a day & no more than that, now I have them once a week if that. But it can be tricky to get more protein. I tend to fall back onto eggs, tofu and beans mostly. I think as long as you mix up your protein sources and provide a good balance you should be OK. And a lot of it is planning too. If i prep the other meals, I'm like not to be stuck, hungry, wanting to just pop in a burger real quick.

Oh, also I like Amy's products a lot. The ingredients are pretty basic, not too much salt, and they're convenient!

And if you haven't already, try your hand at making some veggie burgers.. now that I've made my own, I far prefer the taste of those to the frozen box variety! Of course, it takes more prep, but it is so worth it.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    So much hatred for meat replacement foods. lol
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    I was straight vegetarian for 3 years, then turned into a polo vegetarian. I understand where you're coming from with wanting to have meat substitues, but just don't. When I couldn't understand the ingredients of what I was putting into my body, I cut them out. I would suggest cottage chese or milk or greek yogurt if you want to stay vegetarian. But eating chicken is the best thing that I've ever done to my body.
  • When I first became a pescatarian, I went to Trader Joes and bought a lot of meat substitutes only to find that I find them absolutely disgusting.

Veggie patties are my only exception, since most I have tried (including in restaurants) are better than meat patties.

If you are craving meat, try adding mushrooms to any dish since the glutamate in them mirror the glutamate in meat (hence: "meatiness" of mushrooms).

If you are lacking in protein, increase tofu & try quinoa!

Hope these help!
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    I would just stick to tofu or egg plant for a meat consistency, you can also make your own burgers out of quinoa and black beans and other ingredients, you can look up recipes online there are tons! I do enjoy Boca chic' patties though and they don't have a lot of calories while giving you a lot of protein. At least I only eat one and have it with salad instead of bread. Try to have portions of oats and chia seeds or and flax seeds with almond butter for mornings that gives you lots of protein if you're worrying about that. Millet, quinoa, black beans, chic peas, have a lot of protein as well as leafy greens, bet you must know that. I follow a mostly vegan diet and haven't had any issues with protein or b6 vitamin deficiency in the past 5 years, so you don't need that much protein. I try to stay above 30 grams normally I go higher. Good luck! Yes lots of anti-veg criticism, so that means lots of support for cruelty.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    A lot of the brands that are being named, I haven't seen where I live (it's possible I have to go to a proper health food to find them rather than just using my local grocery store.) I don't care for the faux meat products that are available to me, except for the Yves Veggie Ground Round when I want to make Shepherd's Pie or a meat sauce to go with pasta.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    I like Butler soy curls, they're like TVP in that you have to rehydrate and flavor them but they have a better, more chicken-y texture IMO. Not sure how widely they're available.

I have no issue with fake meats, I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't like it. I suppose it depends on why you're a vegetarian.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    I don't really like fake meat products. But I'm not a vegetarian. For non-meat protein, besides the ones you already eat, I really like tempeh, all kinds of beans, eggs, and all the dairy (especially cottage cheese and Greek yogurt.) I'm not very good at cooking tofu, so I don't eat it that much. I did find that if you freeze and thaw tofu before cooking soaks up marinades better and takes on a meatier texture, if that's what you are going for. It's been a while since I made it, but seitan is good, too. It takes on flavors easily and has a pretty meaty texture.
    Looking at your diary it looks like you are getting a good amount of fat now. May want to cut it a bit in favor of more protein, but don't go too low.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Wheat gluten, also called seitan. You can get gluten flour and make seitan yourself, no need to buy it precooked (way more expensive).
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    I'm a vegetarian because I don't like meat, so I'm mostly no help, as finding a vegetarian replacement for something I already don't like is just not something I'm interested in.

But I do get veggie "burgers" because you want to have something in the summer at a grill-out. So I make my own. They're very simple and very tasty - but no one is going to say "oh - this is just like hamburger!"

1 c. quinoa
    1 (14-15 oz) can black beans
    4-6 green onion tops, chopped
    1 shredded carrot
    2 T. chopped fresh parsley
    1 egg, beaten

Cook the quinoa as directed (usually rinse it then 1 c quinoa to 2 c. liquid, bring to a boil, then simmer ~15 minutes)
    Mash the beans well and add then add the cooked quinoa, green onion, carrot and parsley
    Blend well (hands work best)
    incorporate the egg (again hands work well)
    Form into patties (about 8, will make 10 if you like them thinner)
    Refrigerate 30 minutes
    Cook as desired (grill or cook in a pan with a little olive oil)

I like to top mine salsa and avocado.

I know the egg makes them non-vegan friendly, but I'm not sure what else you would use as a binder. Sorry.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    i eat the morningstar spicy black bean and quinoa burgers often for lunch. they're so easy, pretty cheap and portable so it makes sense to keep a package at work along with a package of sandwich thins to have in a jam. i didn't quit eating meat because i didn't like it, but more for ethical reasons. I do think it would be best if I could make homemade veggie burgers all the time instead, but I don't have the time and these are healthier than many other alternatives.

there is a great local company that makes/sells lentil burgers called "No Bull Burgers." I can find them in the Whole Foods here and Relay Foods sell them but I know they aren't national (yet). They are amazing, very tasty and the ingredient list is short and simple.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Wheat gluten, also called seitan. You can get gluten flour and make seitan yourself, no need to buy it precooked (way more expensive).

its pretty reasonable if you get it from an asian market.

kudos to the people who mentioned field roast and tempeh... i do not know if these are low calorie or low fat, but I do love them.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    I've seen a couple of comments about the 'haters' and people who disagree, but either I'm not seeing it or a mod has removed it. But seems to me lots of people have been nice, supportive, and offered options. I want to do the same! I'm not a veg, but one of my friends is. She does eat seafood, so isn't that pescatarian? Anyways, she introduced me to her fave veggie burgers. I would like to second them -- Dr. Praeger's as mentioned by another poster! They were delicious, filling, and the ingredients list wasn't crazy. I don't remember the sodium as that isn't something I follow. But they were so so so good that even non-veggers gobbled them up. I wouldn't eat them for every meal, but for lunch or dinner, they sure would hit the spot! Lately, I've been having quinoa for lunch with two fried eggs. But you could do that for breakfast if you wanted. Just get creative and be willing to try new things. :smile:
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    I just made homemade seitan. It was super easy and can cut down on the salt big time from buying it from the store. For a tiny serving of seitan it was 500 mg sodium. By tiny I mean about a quarter cup. With this recipe you get a good satisfying portion without the sodium.

1 cup Bobs red mill vital wheat gluten flour
    3 tablespoons Braggs Nutritional yeast flakes
    any seasoning you want
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 soy sauce (I omitted this and used all water)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Gradually add in water (soy sauce) and continue to kneed for a couple minutes. Form into a roll and proceed to cut into strips. Place on baking sheet sprayed with Pam or whatever oil you want. Cook for 10 min then flip and cook for 3-5 minutes. I put bbq on mine and personally I thought they were pretty good.
    You can vary this recipe with tons of flavors the sky is the limit.
    Nutritional value without soy sauce:
    Makes 2 good size servings.
    Calories per serving: 270 carbs:11 fat: 1 protein: 51 g no sodium
  • Morningstar Farms Hickory BBQ Riblets, those were good!
  • soulshine23
    soulshine23 Posts: 28 Member
    http://gardein.com/products/chickn-strips-cubes/

high protein, low calorie, lowish sodium. may take some time to find a place that sells this, you may have to ask a store to order it for you.

also, an easy recipe for making your own sandwich slices-
    http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06/veggie-lunch-meat.html

not sure why some people have such issues with "fake meat"? if you are vegetarian or vegan, this is a major food category...
    its not fake, its just food-

just like with animal meats, there are junky choices and options, better suited for only consuming seldomly.
    fake bacon is like crack, should be more like an occasional treat.

vital wheat gluten, soy protein, etc. have very high protein. some people have concerns about how processed they are, so, if you have this as a concern, stick with less processed whole-food vegetarian foods- soy beans, tempeh, tofu, lentils, etc. nutritional yeast has high protein and great as a condiment.

I have no problem getting at least 100g protein/day as a vegan.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Quorn is a really tasty vegetarian protein source (not vegan, it has egg to bind it) and it's basically just protein for a very reasonable caloric load. I'm not veggie but I love Quorn.
  • drhelibhatt
    drhelibhatt Posts: 31 Member
    I have been vegetarian all my life (not vegan).. so I have really never tasted any meat/fish products.. However, I still find Tofurky and Trader Joes Chicken-less strips pretty tasty and good for proteins... I am wondering if it has any hidden disadvantages. Is it healthy or not? I don't care so much about sodium, as I am always hypotensive and extra sodium helps... any thoughts? ? Healthy or not??
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Frankly if you're not a vegetarian, your opinion on "fake meat" doesn't really matter. It's not the same as eating actual meat. I've been a vegetarian for 6 years now, last night I ate Quorn nuggets for dinner. Why? Because a. they're quick and easy to make after work and b. they're a good source of protein. Personally I don't find beans or nuts give me the protein I need, and beans in particular also come with carbs which I limit for health reasons. I don't crave the taste or feel of meat, but I do enjoy Quorn products (also Sanitarium Veggie Delights here in Australia are really good) so I eat them. Simple as that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    joecmoore1 wrote: »
    I find it ironic that "vegetarians" go out of their way to try and duplicate meat with fake meat products in order to satiate a craving and a desire that is inherently engrained in us as a species....and YET, I have never as an omnivorous being gone out of my way to find "substitutes" for any food groups whatsoever. Kind of interesting. :wink:

My thoughts exactly. Although I understand why people who decide to be vegetarians for ethical reasons would be interested in those products.

To be fair though, I'm not a vegetarian but I like veggie patties, they're just too expensive and too much sodium so I haven't bought them in a while.