Any Single, Childless, 30+, Vegetarians?

Options
I would love to find other people living the same kind of lifestyle as myself. Every situation presents their own unique set of challenges and I would love to know how other 30+ women who live alone and work a lot handle their weight loss goals.

One difficulty I haven't quite figured out how to overcome is cooking. I've never been much for preparing food, which can make logging food difficult if I eat out a lot and can't find stats, so then it becomes a guess and I'm sure I underestimate.

I think I'd be interesting in following a nutrition plan but since I'm fairly new to being a vegetarian (only since October 2013) I'm having trouble navigating the world of macros and nutrients and how to plan meals without meat. At the moment I'm the only vegetarian I know and I regularly hear from friends and family, "why are you not eating meat again?" Having to constantly justify myself gets tedious.

I want to lose weight but I'm also afraid of making too many changes that are not sustainable all at once.

I've always been moderately active, I attempt to commute to work by bicycle 2-3 times a week. And I have access to a 24 hour fitness center in my apartment complex. One thing I run into very quickly when I start trying to lose weight is a lack of energy almost immediately.

I just want to throw this out there as well, I read most of the suggested post topics for newbies, ie sexypants, so you're new here, tdee, iifym, etc and as a new person, it's extremely overwhelming and not very user-friendly but maybe I'm just not clever enough to understand it all. I find myself almost paralyzed by this idea that I don't know how to do it right and I'm going to fail because I don't understand. I'm sure I'm way overcomplicating this.

So in conclusion, if there are any other neurotic compulsive over thinkers out there who wouldn't mind a new needy friend, I'd love to bounce ideas off you.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    3 outta 4
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Are you neurotic tho? ;)
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    2/4

Childless and in my 30's.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    completely
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    I'm thinking most 30+ childless neurotic vegetarians are single, just a guess though. :love:
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I am separated, have no kids, am over 30, and am a sometimes vegetarian, though currently I have gone back to eating meat because I find that I feel fuller longer when I eat it.

Some ideas for easy vegetarian meals.....frozen vegetarian entrees like those by Amy's, Cedarlane, and some of the Kashi meals, sushi made without the fish, canned beans or frozen veggies served with minute rice, a grilled cheese sandwich paired with a meatless soup, or even just the soup by itself. And of course there are the more obvious easy vegetarian choices like yogurt, cheese, and cereal. All of my ideas assume that you in fact meant vegetarian...ie you still eat eggs and dairy. :-)
  • Girl_du_jour
    Girl_du_jour Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    30+, single, childless, live alone, also work loads, also couldn't really care less about cooking, Probably not neurotic as I'm kind of lazy, and not full time vegetarian I'll admit as I'm a bit too 'Never say never' for that, but I have been veggie (and on a trial basis, vegan) in the past and I still don't eat a whole lot of meat or dairy anyway.

I've been on MFP for a good while but never really engaged with other people on it, just used it as a personal tracker - but who knows? You sound nice and maybe it'd be good to have someone to chat to about stuff, especially if it helps keep us both on track! I'm always so busy it's hard to make time to exercise, and I live near a lot of good takeaways which are pretty tempting when you're tried and work long hours...
  • Girl_du_jour
    Options
    Have you got a plan for exercising or are you mostly focusing on your diet?
  • BigDogParty
    Options
    I'm childless, vegetarian, 30+...but married!
  • Girl_du_jour
    Options
    I'm thinking most 30+ childless neurotic vegetarians are single, just a guess though. :love:

Um... I dunno how this sounds in your head, but here's a hint: not a totally welcoming comment for someone who finds forums overwhelming.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    4/4. Add me if you want. :)
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am going to focus on my diet. Once I figure out what that is going to look like. It's a big jumble of no idea what I'm doing after breakfast most days.

A problem I struggle with is fatigue and exhaustion. If I exercise too much (which happens sometimes because I commute by bicycle 2-3 times a week) or go on longer hikes or get all amped and hit the 24 hour fitness center in my apartment complex, I end up dead for days.

I'm assuming it's a product of my diet, because I had a physical recently and full blood work done to address it, I was pretty concerned, hence the doctor visit. She said it's probably because of too much inflammatory foods.
  • RivasBodilyHarm
    RivasBodilyHarm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 35 and have chosen a child free path, am single and a pescetarian. I used to be neurotic (and suffer from depression and panic disorder) but I fixed it and I'm much happier now! I love cooking but only really cook good stuff when I'm cooking for other people. When I'm only cooking for me I'm kinda lazy. Please feel free to add me if you want :) x
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    35, single, childfree by choice, neurotic, and I've cut out *most* meat products for health reasons (I only eat poultry & fish currently but I may go veggie next year). Always looking for new ways to add protein to my diet with meatless sources. I've been on MFP a while and I know it can be overwhelming at first. I'm very active here so feel free to add me for support.