Live Q&A: Next 1 Hour

Options
I've done a few of these threads in the past with success. I have some free time and figured I'd open up "the floor" to anyone who'd like to pick my brain about whatever fitness/nutrition related questions you might have.

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Very cool... bumping for my FL...
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    OK - I'll shoot.....

What's the best way to break through a plateau????
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I I eat breakfast and feel hungry throughout the day and end up blowing my calories, but only when I eat breakfast. If I skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner, I'm fuller and don't blow my calories. Why?
  • Pokoson480
    Pokoson480 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out and am lost on when I should be eating when I exercise in the mornings and what I should be eating .Not only that I've read I should be eating within 30 minutes after I wake up. Its all a bit confusing to me.
    My mornings are generally 6am wake up & get kids ready for school...7am gym time for 45 - 60 minutes. When I get home I'm usually hungry but on the run and don't have much time to cook. Any suggestions would be most helpful.
    Thanks a million :)
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    I don't believe that you can strictly lose weight or burn fat from just heavy lifting, isn't cardio a necessity in losing weight/burning fat?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Stats:
    Female - 43y.o
    H: 5'5"
    W: 141
    GW: 130-135?

How do I know what my macros should be? I say my goal weight is 135, but I'm not unhappy at 141, I do however want to drop some body fat. I work out 3-5x a week, 3 lifting sessions and 1+ HIIT sometimes a bonus walk/jog. I am eating 1500 calories right now at 40/30/30. I usually go over on carbs (quest bar and greek yogurt usually throw me over). My fiber intake is high, does that balance out my carbs? My diary is open.

Thank you for any insight you may offer!
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    How much impact do you think stress (and resultant high cortisol levels) have on weight loss?

Do you think weighing food is absolutely necessary, if it plays against other factors (say, mental health or anxiety, OCD issues, disordered eating behaviors)?

If someone cannot go to a gym (time, money, availability, whatever), what do you recommend for home workouts to maximize fat loss and minimize losing other body mass/tissue?
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Tagging for my friend's list.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    OK - I'll shoot.....

Depends on what's causing the plateau. Plateaus aren't all created equally.

Often times plateaus are caused by miscalculated energy intake/expenditure assumptions. In these cases, the assumed deficit is actually closer to maintenance. In these cases, it's about educating people about the importance of being serious with tracking/weighing until they gain enough insight to graduate from that level of rigidity with their tracking.

Other times plateaus are caused by a lack of a systems based approach. People pick a calorie intake and expect it to work regardless. It doesn't work like this. Your body can't be summed up by a simple math equation. These simple calculations get us in the ballpark, but from there we have to adjust until we find that caloric sweet spot where the long term rate of weight loss falls in line with what's reasonable.

Related to the above, a particular calorie level that works now won't work forever. A large component of caloric needs is determined by our size/weight. As we get smaller/lighter, our bodies cost fewer calories to move around. Plus there's less tissue to support (fat is metabolically active, believe it or not). So as we lose, we need to trend calorie intake downward.

Another major source of plateaus is a lack of patience. I see it time and time again where people assume they're plateaued since they haven't lost in a couple of weeks. That's not a plateau. That's just weight being weight. Weight loss isn't a linear process... it zigs and it zags over time. A constant calorie intake will lead to losses some weeks and gains others. That's the nature of the beast when relying on scale weight as the primary metric for measuring success. Scale weight weighs a number of variables that can be rising while fat is falling.

Speaking of which, I see it quite regularly in my business where people hire me who've never really lifted weights intensely and progressively. When they start, even in the face of a calorie deficit, it's commonplace to add some muscle. Fat going down and muscle going up tends to trick people into believing they're in a plateau. They're not. The answer? Be patient and eventually the fat loss will be unmasked.

I could go on with other factors, such as water weight fluctuations in response to not drinking enough, menstrual cycle, etc fooling people into thinking they're in a deficit.

But likely what you're asking is, "Assuming none of these things are at play, and I'm truly in a deficit... what should I do?"

It's really doing to depend on the individual circumstances, but by and large a diet break is in order. You can't expect to diet forever. The body is an complex adaptive system that's rooted in survival. Since dieting is a low level form of starvation, the body is going to do it's best to minimize the energy gap you're pushing through your deficit.

All sorts of variables are at play "under the hood" that fuel this adaptive process - things like Leptin, insulin, cortisol, ghrelin, peptide YY, aldosterone, thyroid, etc. Some of these things shift to influence energy expenditure (metabolic rate), some of them shift to make us hungrier, some of the shifts cause inflammation and water storage, etc, etc.

At a certain point, losing more weight becomes very challenging and at this point it's a good idea to give your body a break. You can only beat it up so much before it starts fighting back. And it's different for everyone... some people's "defense systems" seem to be more sensitive than others.

What I'll typically do though is promote a period of time where calories/carb intake are elevated and recovery is promoted. From there, once sufficient time has been devoted to a break, we'll start easing our way back into a deficit.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Most say the last 10 pounds are the hardest. I am getting close about 15-20 left currently. Any advise on the last 10.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I I eat breakfast and feel hungry throughout the day and end up blowing my calories, but only when I eat breakfast. If I skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner, I'm fuller and don't blow my calories. Why?

It's different for everyone. Don't worry about why. Embrace is and rather than trying to force a feeding frequency that doesn't fit your body/schedule... apply a frequency that jives with you. I have plenty of clients who aren't hungry in the mornings or who find morning feedings make them hungry. Some of them institute something like intermittent fasting into their system where they're allocating all of their calories into a punctuated period of time in the PM.

Others simply eat lighter earlier in the day based on when they're hungry and save the majority of their calories for later in the day.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    OK - I'll shoot.....

Depends on what's causing the plateau. Plateaus aren't all created equally.

Often times plateaus are caused by miscalculated energy intake/expenditure assumptions. In these cases, the assumed deficit is actually closer to maintenance. In these cases, it's about educating people about the importance of being serious with tracking/weighing until they gain enough insight to graduate from that level of rigidity with their tracking.

Other times plateaus are caused by a lack of a systems based approach. People pick a calorie intake and expect it to work regardless. It doesn't work like this. Your body can't be summed up by a simple math equation. These simple calculations get us in the ballpark, but from there we have to adjust until we find that caloric sweet spot where the long term rate of weight loss falls in line with what's reasonable.

Related to the above, a particular calorie level that works now won't work forever. A large component of caloric needs is determined by our size/weight. As we get smaller/lighter, our bodies cost fewer calories to move around. Plus there's less tissue to support (fat is metabolically active, believe it or not). So as we lose, we need to trend calorie intake downward.

Another major source of plateaus is a lack of patience. I see it time and time again where people assume they're plateaued since they haven't lost in a couple of weeks. That's not a plateau. That's just weight being weight. Weight loss isn't a linear process... it zigs and it zags over time. A constant calorie intake will lead to losses some weeks and gains others. That's the nature of the beast when relying on scale weight as the primary metric for measuring success. Scale weight weighs a number of variables that can be rising while fat is falling.

Speaking of which, I see it quite regularly in my business where people hire me who've never really lifted weights intensely and progressively. When they start, even in the face of a calorie deficit, it's commonplace to add some muscle. Fat going down and muscle going up tends to trick people into believing they're in a plateau. They're not. The answer? Be patient and eventually the fat loss will be unmasked.

I could go on with other factors, such as water weight fluctuations in response to not drinking enough, menstrual cycle, etc fooling people into thinking they're in a deficit.

But likely what you're asking is, "Assuming none of these things are at play, and I'm truly in a deficit... what should I do?"

It's really doing to depend on the individual circumstances, but by and large a diet break is in order. You can't expect to diet forever. The body is an complex adaptive system that's rooted in survival. Since dieting is a low level form of starvation, the body is going to do it's best to minimize the energy gap you're pushing through your deficit.

All sorts of variables are at play "under the hood" that fuel this adaptive process - things like Leptin, insulin, cortisol, ghrelin, peptide YY, aldosterone, thyroid, etc. Some of these things shift to influence energy expenditure (metabolic rate), some of them shift to make us hungrier, some of the shifts cause inflammation and water storage, etc, etc.

At a certain point, losing more weight becomes very challenging and at this point it's a good idea to give your body a break. You can only beat it up so much before it starts fighting back. And it's different for everyone... some people's "defense systems" seem to be more sensitive than others.

What I'll typically do though is promote a period of time where calories/carb intake are elevated and recovery is promoted. From there, once sufficient time has been devoted to a break, we'll start easing our way back into a deficit.

davec.gif

I think my brain shorted....
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    To maintain weight, what is your opinion of continuing to eat at a deficit most days, then eating over maintenance other days?

. Assuming I can actually balance the end of the week caloric intake. Basically banking calories on my deficit days, for more flexibility on the weekends.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm just starting out and am lost on when I should be eating when I exercise in the mornings and what I should be eating .Not only that I've read I should be eating within 30 minutes after I wake up. Its all a bit confusing to me.
    My mornings are generally 6am wake up & get kids ready for school...7am gym time for 45 - 60 minutes. When I get home I'm usually hungry but on the run and don't have much time to cook. Any suggestions would be most helpful.
    Thanks a million :)

Firstly I'd suggest taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture. By far and away the most important aspect is your daily totals. Set a reasonable target for calories and macros based on your goals. From there, try your best to come reasonably close to hitting them each day.

When you eat during the day is less important than hitting these targets in a 24 hour period.

Generally speaking I do think it's a good idea to get some nutrition in after exercise... especially intense exercise like sprinting, relatively heavy strength training, etc. But in the grand scheme, how much does post workout nutrition matter? Likely not much at all. If you're in a rush and concerned though, prep snacks in advance that you can eat in the car when leaving the gym. Many things can fit the bill... a protein shake and some carbs, some chocolate milk, or whatever.

But again, the bigger issues is your daily totals.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    How do I increase my potassium intake without also increasing my net carb intake? And without taking pills.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I know this is the diet and weight loss section, but...how much impact does stress have on muscle gain (for example, during a bulk)?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I don't believe that you can strictly lose weight or burn fat from just heavy lifting, isn't cardio a necessity in losing weight/burning fat?

The only thing that's necessary to lose fat is a deficit. You don't NEED heavy lifting OR cardio.

But each of those activities - heavy lifting and cardio - can put you in a deficit assuming the specifics of your situation, and when they do that... they'll induce fat loss.

The bigger issue here is we shouldn't be focusing on weight... we should be focusing on body composition. And body composition is optimized by factoring in both sides of the "tissue coin" - fat and muscle.

We want to minimize the former and maximize the latter.

Minimizing fat is fueled by the deficit and the deficit is managed mostly by way of diet. Energy expensive exercise, such as traditional cardio, acts as an adjunct to the diet allowing us to eat a little more while still maintaining the deficit.

Muscle is maximized by lifting weights progressively.

In the hierarchy of physique optimization, the order of importance goes:

1. Diet

2. Resistance training

3. Cardio

Why's cardio so far down on the list? You can create a deficit with or without cardio thanks to diet. You can't induce muscle growth/preservation without properly structured resistance training... at least not optimally.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that the scales fluctuate throughtout the day, so to check this theory, I purchased some digital scales yesterday. At 5pm, I weighed 90.2 kg. At 8am, I weighed 89.1 kg and at 5pm today, I weighed 91.1 kg That's a total of 2kg in a day. Is there anything I can I do, to stabilise the weight, or do I just take it as a learning curve, and go back to weighing myself just once a month?