The Last 10 pounds

Options
I have lost 35 pounds since joining MFP in September. The weight loss has been consistent at about 1 pound a week by simply logging, staying under my goal and running every other night for 30 minutes or so. I am down to my last 10 pounds or so (I hope!) and suddenly the scale is barely moving!! It is is so discouraging. Any advice on how you lost those last few pounds? My calorie goal is 1500, I eat back my exercise (or at least most of it) and I eat a decent amount of protein with moderate fat and carbs.
I have also started the 30 day Shred with hopes of toning up a bit more. (AND I immediately gained 2 pounds after starting that!)
(Lifting or going to the gym is not an option right now as we have ZERO income as my husband finishes school and i am just getting off maternity leave.)
Thanks!

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    They say the biggest mistake people make when trying to lose weight is having the same routine. That might be your problem. You gotta change it up here and there... you don't want your body to be "comfortable" or you'll stop losing... maybe try a different workout regimine. Have you re-evaluated your goals? The last 10 is always the hardest... remember your BMR and TDEE will change as you lose weight. As for lifting... I definately recommend that... it might just be what your body needs. You don't have to drop a lot of $$ to be able to start. Buy a $35 set of adjustable dumbbells at walmart... look up videos on youtube... there you go. I've seen the biggest changest in my body since I started lifting.... way more than just cardio and diet alone.

Good luck!
  • djslickrix
    Options
    I have been loosing around 7 - 10 pounds a week, and I've lost 28 pounds now, however, this week I only lost 4 pounds, so I think I'm at the final 10 pounds to get myself down from 13% Body fat to 10% body fat. I think the best way would be to shock your metabolism by having a cheat meal, I tried that today so tomorrow I'm going to eat at my maintenance calories or I might do it for two days and then drop back to a deficit and see what happens after a week.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The last 10 pounds are ALWAYS the hardest for I think everyone. Just keep at it..you will get there ;) - focus on eating healthy and keeping up a good exercise regimen that works for you. It will be slow -

BTW I have seen alot of people gain when they start 30 DS and then towards the end..Boom! they shred it. I however had no such luck with that one.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Honestly- the less amount you have to lose, the harder it is. It took me over 3 months to lose the last 5 lbs I had. I just kept it in perspective. Keep doing what you are doing and it will come off eventually. Maybe add some more intensity or different work outs to shake things up a bit. You are doing awesome, so keep up the great work!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm actually having the opposite problem. I'm on my last 10 lbs (for now, anyway), and my weight loss seems to have sped up to ridiculous proportions. I'm not eating any different than normal, but my weight is dropping much quicker than it did at the beginning. I'm not sure if my metabolism has sped up (sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?) or if I'm just moving more (doesn't seem that way - have actually been sick lately and have purposely NOT exercised). Not sure what's going on, but I almost want to head to the doctor. (mostly kidding)

jjanay - if you just started a more intense training program, it is not uncommon for a little water weight to hang around and cause a temporary weight gain. This is because you worked your muscles, and now your body has to 'repair' them to make you more able to handle a heavier workout next time. :) Also, I read alot on the forums regarding MFP being somewhat inaccurate with their calorie expenditure estimates for cardio, so maybe eat only half of the exercise calories back?
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym to get some weight and/or strength training in.

Google on You Tube and you'll find a lot of workouts there. You can buy some weights for use at home ... just to get you started.

I agree change things up a bit.

I've done the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred workout and have had success losing inches and pounds.

Best of luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have been loosing around 7 - 10 pounds a week, and I've lost 28 pounds now, however, this week I only lost 4 pounds, so I think I'm at the final 10 pounds to get myself down from 13% Body fat to 10% body fat. I think the best way would be to shock your metabolism by having a cheat meal, I tried that today so tomorrow I'm going to eat at my maintenance calories or I might do it for two days and then drop back to a deficit and see what happens after a week.

:huh:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Is that right? 7-10 pounds a week with only 40 to lose?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    They say the biggest mistake people make when trying to lose weight is having the same routine. That might be your problem. You gotta change it up here and there... you don't want your body to be "comfortable" or you'll stop losing... maybe try a different workout regimine. Have you re-evaluated your goals? The last 10 is always the hardest... remember your BMR and TDEE will change as you lose weight. As for lifting... I definately recommend that... it might just be what your body needs. You don't have to drop a lot of $$ to be able to start. Buy a $35 set of adjustable dumbbells at walmart... look up videos on youtube... there you go. I've seen the biggest changest in my body since I started lifting.... way more than just cardio and diet alone.

Good luck!

No..this is not true at all...except for the lifting part...

I have found the last 10lbs to be as easy as the middle 10 pounds.

Adding in new exercise causes water retention and glycogen stores hence the extra weight...

What the last 10 pounds means is that it is slower (1/2lb a week) and you have to be super accurate with your logging...weighing your solids, measuring your liquids and choosing the correct entries...perhaps even only eat 50% of the exercise calories as you are smaller now.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

10% bodyfat? As a female?

I...err. Okay.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

sure you have....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • djslickrix
    Options

I...err. Okay.

As a Male
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Even $35 for dumbbells is impossible right now. honestly. NO income and 3 kids to feed, gas for minivan, mortgage etc. It is only temporary and then I will DEFINITELY invest (because you don't have to be on MFP long to learn about the benefits of heavy lifting!)
    I did wonder if the weight gain was from starting a toning program that was working new muscles..... I know not from actual muscle building but from water storage.
    I have started logging EVERYTHING (half an arrowroot cookie=15 calories), weighing everything again, and, as of today, drinking LOTS of water again.
    I will keep at it. Thanks for the support.
  • Achrya
    Options

I...err. Okay.

As a Male

Oh.

Well that makes it more realistic.
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Do you mean a month??
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Even $35 for dumbbells is impossible right now. honestly. NO income and 3 kids to feed, gas for minivan, mortgage etc. It is only temporary and then I will DEFINITELY invest (because you don't have to be on MFP long to learn about the benefits of heavy lifting!)
    I did wonder if the weight gain was from starting a toning program that was working new muscles..... I know not from actual muscle building but from water storage.
    I have started logging EVERYTHING (half an arrowroot cookie=15 calories), weighing everything again, and, as of today, drinking LOTS of water again.
    I will keep at it. Thanks for the support.

Try fitnessblender.com, or you are your own gym or convict training for body weight resistence training...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

WTF are you kidding me? There is no way especially if you are already in the 13% BF range. What are you doing running marathons every week while eating nothing but celery?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I...err. Okay.

As a Male

Oh.

I don't know, 7 or even 4 lbs a week when already lean would be extremely difficult assuming we are talking about fat and not just dropping water weight.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Adding strength training will for sure help. Keep doing the 30 day shred and running. I love running but unfortunately it doesn't do a whole lot for weight loss after awhile but still better then nothing. Also make sure you're slowly upping your calories so you are getting enough because youre close to your maintenance goal. but mostly just be patient, whenever i hit plateaus i would change up my routine and push hard and then suddenly the weight would drop. its just a lot slower. you will get there =)
  • Achrya
    Options

I...err. Okay.

As a Male

Oh.

I don't know, 7 or even 4 lbs a week when already lean would be extremely difficult assuming we are talking about fat and not just dropping water weight.

Oh no, it's total nonsense, I'm full on 'ohokayJLaw.gif'. But more realistic than if they were a woman.