Fats Question

Options
My nutrition log thing says my fat goal should be 40g a day, however, i'm coming in WAY under that. For example, at present my total is 8g. 2 is from the lean turkey breast i ate for lunch and the rest is from the creamer in my coffee (i know, i'm working on it. LOL).

Is it harmful to be so far under my fats goal if i'm on point with everything else??

Replies

• bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    http://helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm

If you scroll down to "Healthy fats are essential to good health" that should give you a starting point in researching why fat is so important in your diet.

(also, I consume 3/4 of that amount - 6g - every day in fish oil alone!)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There a healthy fats that your body needs. Unsaturated fats from avocados and olive oil, and essential fatty acids like Omega-3, DHA, ARA, etc. are all necessary for your body and brain functions. Try incorporating fish (or at least EFA supplements), olive oil, avocados, etc. into your diet.
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    So if I cook my turkey breast in say......1 tbsp of coconut or olive oil, does that count toward my "good fats"?
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My nutrition log thing says my fat goal should be 40g a day, however, i'm coming in WAY under that. For example, at present my total is 8g. 2 is from the lean turkey breast i ate for lunch and the rest is from the creamer in my coffee (i know, i'm working on it. LOL).

Is it harmful to be so far under my fats goal if i'm on point with everything else??

Actually, it can be quite harmful in the long run. Dietary fat supports helathy brain function, and also supports healthy glandular function, making sure your body can react to the need for certain hormones. This is EXTREMELY important in people who are active. Your body needs to be able to take care of itself.

Get some almonds and natural peanut butter and start making it a part of your day. Hell, a handfull of almonds will single handedly quadruple your fat intake.
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options

Actually, it can be quite harmful in the long run. Dietary fat supports helathy brain function, and also supports healthy glandular function, making sure your body can react to the need for certain hormones. This is EXTREMELY important in people who are active. Your body needs to be able to take care of itself.

Get some almonds and natural peanut butter and start making it a part of your day. Hell, a handfull of almonds will single handedly quadruple your fat intake.

Oh fine. If I MUST eat almonds and nuts..........I guess i'll just have to suck it up. :tongue:
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yeah, peanut butter is awesome for healthy fats. I eat it almost every day.
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options

Does it still count as healthy if it's covered in chocolate? hahaha

J/K, i guess i'm putting it on my grocery list. :D
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

NATURAL peanut butter. I eat jif. No stirring, very tasty.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Honestly, if you can't stomach peanut butter, get nutella. It will up your fats and have a chocolate taste.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    mm peanut butter I eat smart balance
  • Bexaa
    Bexaa Posts: 19
    Options
    As my Bio teacher says, "Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. And potatoes do NOT count!"

Potatoes are full of starches and carbohydrates just as many of the above posters have mentioned. If we treat this as a vegetable with the mindset that eating more of this then, say, bread or rice, is alright, is basically just eating more of those carbohydrate filled foods [bagels, breads, cakes, etc]. It would be alright to eat a bit of it once in a while but I would suggest treating it as a carbohydrate/starch than a vegetable. If you would be eating potatoes, you should lessen the amount of processed carbohydrates you are eating for that meal in order to balance it out.

Just as long as you have balance, you should be fine.

Here's a some things to think about:

What do we usually do to potatoes to make them 'edible' and good?

What do we mix with potatoes to make them tastier?

*If you may notice, the answer to these questions are more than likely those greasy and fatty ingredients [ frying oil, sour cream, bacon]
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    So if I cook my turkey breast in say......1 tbsp of coconut or olive oil, does that count toward my "good fats"?

Coconut oil is actually a saturated fat, so for heart health I wouldn't recommend it. Canola oil is just as healthy as olive oil though as far as having the mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids the body needs, but doesn't have as strong of a taste as olive oil for things you want to have a lighter flavor oil with.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    As my Bio teacher says, "Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. And potatoes do NOT count!"

Potatoes are full of starches and carbohydrates just as many of the above posters have mentioned. If we treat this as a vegetable with the mindset that eating more of this then, say, bread or rice, is alright, is basically just eating more of those carbohydrate filled foods [bagels, breads, cakes, etc]. It would be alright to eat a bit of it once in a while but I would suggest treating it as a carbohydrate/starch than a vegetable. If you would be eating potatoes, you should lessen the amount of processed carbohydrates you are eating for that meal in order to balance it out.

Just as long as you have balance, you should be fine.

Here's a some things to think about:

What do we usually do to potatoes to make them 'edible' and good?

What do we mix with potatoes to make them tastier?

*If you may notice, the answer to these questions are more than likely those greasy and fatty ingredients [ frying oil, sour cream, bacon]

Your bio teacher needs to go back to nutrition class. Potatoes are fat free, and therefore having nothing to do with this thread, first of all. Second, they are very high in vitamin C, potassium, and numerous other micronutrients. Yes, they are primarily carbohydrate, but so are all other fruits and vegetables. Yes, they contain starch, but so do all fruits and vegetables. Starch is the storage form of carbohydrates in plants just like glycogen is the storage form of carbohydrates in humans and other animals. The starch in potatoes has actually been studied and shown to be almost as effective as fiber in helping in the digestion and elimination process. The problem that occurs with eating potatoes is that a lot of people either deep fry them in bad fats or bake them and cover them in high fat butter, sour cream, and cheese. If you switch your habits and use canola oil to fry them, you can increase you good fats while enjoying your fries. Or if you switch to a healthy margarine made with olive oil, fat free sour cream, and fat free cheese, you can still eat that baked potato guilt free.
  • Floricienta
    Options

Honestly, if you can't stomach peanut butter, get nutella. It will up your fats and have a chocolate taste.

Oh boy... nutella.... I could eat the whole jar with a spoon. In fact, I've done it a couple of times before lol.