Live Q&A: Next 1 Hour

Options

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Alright guys... that's more than an hour. I have to run but I'll be back later this evening to answer any lingering questions. Thanks for participating!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Is there actually a negative (besides frequent peeing) to drinking 1-1.5 gallons of water daily (in addition to fluid in foods, coffee, soda, etc)? I can't seem to stop myself drinking that much and people freak out on me for it.

ETA: bloodwork is always fine, so no diabetes.

Likely not a concern... especially if you're spreading it out over the course of the day.

Do you sweat a lot?

Do you have an active lifestyle outside of the gym?

Most issues pop up when people are being really stupid or it's under periods of heavy water consumption in the face of high physical stress activities when the body is more prone to holding onto water.

I sweat some - wouldn't classify it as "a lot" though. I'm pretty active, I recently kept meticulous track of calories for 3 weeks and used the formula (total calories) + (weight lost * 3500) / 21 to figure out my actual TDEE and it came back as 3200 - I'm 36 years old, 184 lbs and 5'7" if that makes any difference. I also wake up stupid early (around 3am) and start drinking from then thru till bedtime. It's nice to know I'm not really hurting anything.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I'll be honest... it's a little too general of a question. I mean losing weight is about consistency with a deficit. So figuring out consistency for your very dynamic world right now will be the name of the game (good luck with the move by the way).

I posted above about how I tend to go about breaking up macros... give that read and if you have any additional questions after that... just ask.

Thanks for your reply - I guess I just get a little confused when people talk about having lower calories during the week, saving up for higher calorie weekends - how does that work in with the consistency? I know it's an average over the week etc, but I guess I probably swing too far both directions. Would you suggest I aim for a consistent calorie goal on a daily basis for a while, to try to get some normalcy into my very non-normal world at the moment? Or just go for a weekly average?

By the way - how would you suggest tracking when you literatlly lose a day by flying over the international date line? We leave on Monday morning and arrive on Tuesday night - should I just track it as a really long Monday and not have anything for Tuesday?
  • kdeanosu
    kdeanosu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Excellent discussion...thanks for taking time out of your day!
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Is this a balanced lunch? i have high blood sugar trying to control through diet. And i am fully breastfeeding my 8 month old.
    Lunch
    Vine Sweet Mini Peppers, 3 peppers
    Onions - Raw, 2 tbsp chopped
    French's - Classic Yellow Mustard, 1 teaspoon
    Generic - Roma Tomato,
    Kraft Regular Mayo 1 Tblsp
    Cucumber - Peeled, raw, 1 small
    Eggs - Hard-boiled (whole egg), 3 large
    Romaine - Lettuce Hearts
    Best Choice - Pepper Jack Cheese Shredded, 1/4 cup

cal. 507 -carbs 17g- protein 28g
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that the scales fluctuate throughtout the day, so to check this theory, I purchased some digital scales yesterday. At 5pm, I weighed 90.2 kg. At 8am, I weighed 89.1 kg and at 5pm today, I weighed 91.1 kg That's a total of 2kg in a day. Is there anything I can I do, to stabilise the weight, or do I just take it as a learning curve, and go back to weighing myself just once a month?

I'll answer your question with a question...

Why do you care so much about intra day weight fluctuations?

Not to bash you, I promise... but it's as if we're all walking around with our weights on our foreheads and feel the need to keep the number as low as possible at all times.

Our weight's going to shift throughout the day according to hydration status, bowel matter, etc, etc.

Don't sweat it.

Thanks. It would be nice to loose some weight as well :)
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    How do I increase my potassium intake without also increasing my net carb intake? And without taking pills.

Why can't you increase your carb intake... assuming you can fit them into your calorie goal? You'll be hard pressed to accomplish this so I want to make sure you have a good reason for not wanting to increase carbs.

I have reactive hypoglycemia with severe symptoms in the face of even a moderate carb intake. Wheat in particular upsets my GI but any starch has the potential to do the same. Medically I have been advised to avoid starches, processed foods, and wheat products. The trouble is I am a huge fiend for carbs, and especially wheat. It appears that increasing my carb intake above 35g a day triggers carb cravings so I am doing my best to stay close to that number. All this plus the fact that a LCHF diet is the only one thus far that has helped me lose fat.

As a side-note: this LCHF diet has eliminated the RH symptoms, the vomiting, and helped reduce the nausea. Never again, for the rest of my life, do I want to go back to eating a high(er) carb diet. Any help you can give to help me achieve a higher potassium intake in the face of maintaining a 35g or less net carb intake would be fantastic.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How do I increase my potassium intake without also increasing my net carb intake? And without taking pills.

Why can't you increase your carb intake... assuming you can fit them into your calorie goal? You'll be hard pressed to accomplish this so I want to make sure you have a good reason for not wanting to increase carbs.

I have reactive hypoglycemia with severe symptoms in the face of even a moderate carb intake. Wheat in particular upsets my GI but any starch has the potential to do the same. Medically I have been advised to avoid starches, processed foods, and wheat products. The trouble is I am a huge fiend for carbs, and especially wheat. It appears that increasing my carb intake above 35g a day triggers carb cravings so I am doing my best to stay close to that number. All this plus the fact that a LCHF diet is the only one thus far that has helped me lose fat.

As a side-note: this LCHF diet has eliminated the RH symptoms, the vomiting, and helped reduce the nausea. Never again, for the rest of my life, do I want to go back to eating a high(er) carb diet. Any help you can give to help me achieve a higher potassium intake in the face of maintaining a 35g or less net carb intake would be fantastic.

Summer squash, 1 large (zucchini/courgettes)
    Calories 102
    Carbs 22 grams
    Potassium 980 mg

Tuna, cooked 6 oz
    Calories 259
    Carbs 0 grams
    Potassium 890 mg

Spinach, cooked, 1 cup
    Calories 44
    Carbs 7 grams
    Potassium 881 mg

Beef, flank steak, 6 oz cooked
    Calories 316
    Carbs 0 grams
    Potassium 595 mg

Mushrooms, cooked, 1 cup
    Calories 43
    Carbs 8 grams
    Potassium 552 mg

Broccoli, cooked, 1 cup chopped
    Calories 64
    Carbs 13 grams
    Potassium 536 mg

Collard greens, 1 cup cooked
    Calories 61
    Carbs 12 grams
    Potassium 424 mg

Chicken breast, 6 oz cooked
    Calories 255
    Carbs 0 grams
    Potassium 396mg

Banana, 6-7”
    Calories 90
    Carbs 23 grams
    Potassium 361 mg

Orange juice, 6 oz
    Calories 77
    Carbs 19 grams
    Potassium 328 mg

Bell peppers, 1 large
    Calories 32
    Carbs 11 grams
    Potassium 287 mg

Lettuce, romaine, 2 cups shredded
    Calories 16
    Carbs 3 grams
    Potassium 232 mg
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Summer squash, 1 large (zucchini/courgettes)
    Calories 102
    Carbs 22 grams
    Potassium 980 mg

Tuna, cooked 6 oz
    Calories 259
    Carbs 0 grams
    Potassium 890 mg

Spinach, cooked, 1 cup
    Calories 44
    Carbs 7 grams
    Potassium 881 mg

Beef, flank steak, 6 oz cooked
    Calories 316
    Carbs 0 grams
    Potassium 595 mg

Mushrooms, cooked, 1 cup
    Calories 43
    Carbs 8 grams
    Potassium 552 mg

Broccoli, cooked, 1 cup chopped
    Calories 64
    Carbs 13 grams
    Potassium 536 mg

Collard greens, 1 cup cooked
    Calories 61
    Carbs 12 grams
    Potassium 424 mg

Chicken breast, 6 oz cooked
    Calories 255
    Carbs 0 grams
    Potassium 396mg

Banana, 6-7”
    Calories 90
    Carbs 23 grams
    Potassium 361 mg

Orange juice, 6 oz
    Calories 77
    Carbs 19 grams
    Potassium 328 mg

Bell peppers, 1 large
    Calories 32
    Carbs 11 grams
    Potassium 287 mg

Lettuce, romaine, 2 cups shredded
    Calories 16
    Carbs 3 grams
    Potassium 232 mg

Wow. Thank you. This will def help me out :flowerforyou:
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Curious about your thoughts / reactions to this research:

"Low Protein Intake Is Associated with a Major Reduction in IGF-1, Cancer, and Overall Mortality in the 65 and Younger but Not Older Population"

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(14)00062-X

(Arguing support for link to high levels of protein consumption to certain illnesses in population under 65 years of age.)

This study made some serious rounds on the 'net recently. I read it when it was first published. Frankly there are attention grabbing studies like this that make the rounds on the regular. Media loves it... it's great for soundbite science to gain listeners/viewers/readers.

I'll share with you what some researchers I pay attention to had to say in response to this paper:
    On March 18, we submitted the following Letter to the Editor (LTE) concerning the article by Levine et al (Cell Metab 2014;19:407). This article contains, in our views, numerous errors in design and analyses; and the authors present biased conclusions both in the article and in University press releases on the article which equated a higher protein diet to smoking. In our opinion the peer-review system has failed to adequately evaluate this paper. When this happens, the scientific community has the responsibility to provide additional oversight with scholarly evaluation and debate. However, the Editors of Cell Metabolism declined to publish our LTE and recommended that we post our comments on the Journal website. We view the decision to confine our views on this paper to online discussion forums as a severe limitation to academic discussion and debate that completely minimizes alternative evaluations. We view the position taken by the Editors of Cell Metabolism as inconsistent with goals for maintaining scientific integrity. With this view in mind our unpublished LTE is provided below.

Dear Editor:

We applaud efforts to improve human health by asking insightful questions that explore existing nutrition paradigms. Unfortunately, the paper by Levine et al. is a flawed attempt to link health risks of a single nutrient, protein, to chronic disease states of cancer, CVD and diabetes. The study design and analyses are inappropriate; key contradictory data are neglected; and conclusions are not justified by the data. As scientists with decades of experience studying the impact of protein on health, we are concerned that translation of these flawed data and exaggerated conclusions to the public could have serious negative health consequences for adults seeking to maintain muscle health and avoid sarcopenia.

The optimum dietary intake of protein for adults remains a topic of scientific debate; however, research indicates that balanced diets with protein intakes moderately above the RDA value of 0.8 g/kg/d (1) are beneficial for weight management, sarcopenia, diabetes and physical activity (2,3). While data overwhelmingly demonstrate short-term benefits of moderate protein intake on metabolic status and body composition, the long-term impact of protein on disease risk or mortality is more difficult to assess and requires expert interpretation of large data sets such as the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).

In their study, Levine et al. indicate (Figure 1, Table S1, and Discussion) that “…the level of protein is … not associated with differences in all-cause, cancer, or CVD mortality.” In fact the data demonstrate that cancer mortality was actually ~10% higher in the low protein group compared with the higher protein group (ie. 9.8% versus 9.0% deaths). We would argue that these obvious findings are the most important.

Subsequent subdivision and reanalysis of the data raise serious questions about the validity of the authors’ approach and conclusions. First, the NHANES Linked Mortality Files contain information for almost 12,000 adults, however, without justification, the investigators eliminated almost one-half of the data and only reported results for 6,381 over the age of 50 yr. Second the investigators created ill-defined protein groups of low (LP: <10% of kcal), medium (MP: 10 – 19.9%) and high (HP: 20%+). As defined by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein is 10% to 35% of daily energy intake (1); thus, the LP group (<10% of kcal) consuming ~41 g/d (Table S1) should be designated as protein inadequate. Applying the authors’ unusual protein categories resulted in only 437 individuals remaining in the LP group. A third major problem is use of only a single 24-h recall to derive dietary data to represent food intake over the 18-yr period of life. The limitations of this approach are hard to overstate. NHANES surveys contain additional dietary recall data allowing for calculation of more meaningful “estimated usual” food intakes as utilized by other investigators (4,5). A fourth major problem is failure to report body weight or BMI for the groups. Energy balance and body fat are major risk factors for mortality from diabetes, cancer and CVD. The footnote for Table S1 contains the definition for the BMI abbreviation but the table omits the data.

The investigators also looked at the diabetes mortality data. They report a trend for increased risk of diabetes mortality for adults with higher protein intakes (Fig. 1). However, these findings are derived from very limited data. For diabetes mortality, they report 1.0% deaths (Table S1) or a total of 68 deaths in the entire population with only a single death in the LP group. Further, 47 of the individuals who died from diabetes had diabetes at baseline, before the first dietary measurements. The very low occurrence frequency increases the probability of statistical errors resulting in differences that are not biologically true; nonetheless, the investigators used these limited data to conclude “high protein was associated with … a 5-fold increase in mortality.” Further, the authors used Hazard Ratio (HR) analysis and concluded that the HP group had a 73-fold increased risk of dying from diabetes. The HR and confidence interval (CI) were reported as 73.52 (4.47 – 1,209.70). To our knowledge, that is the highest HR ever reported for any dietary component and certainly for one within dietary guidelines of the IOM. The CI with a 400-fold range and an upper value of 1,209.70 with 6-significant figures of accuracy is not credible.

Hazard Ratio analysis is a standard method for clinical studies with equal treatment groups and survival as a primary outcome, but have important a priori criteria for their use: 1) equal size groups, 2) no evidence of selection or group bias, and 3) linear outcomes over time. The present study fails to meet all three criteria. There are recent high quality papers using the same NHANES data focused on sugar and sodium/potassium using acceptable methods (4,5). The authors should justify not following established procedures.

Our overall assessment of this paper is that the conclusions and analyses are biased, and flawed. While there is growing consensus that a moderate protein intake between 1.0 and 1.5 g/kg/d may confer health benefits beyond those afforded by the current RDA for protein, we also recognize there are gaps in the current knowledge base and encourage discussion of important contradictory evidence/data. Future research must be well designed, rigorously reviewed, and credibility communicated. Unfortunately, the article by Levine et al. presents conclusions not supported by their own analyses or the greater literature.

Donald K. Layman
    Arne Astrup
    Peter M. Clifton
    Heather J. Leidy
    Douglas Paddon-Jones
    Stuart M. Phillips

References:
    1. Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes for energy, carbohydrates, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein, and amino acids. Washington DC: National Academy Press; 2002.
    2. Westerterp-Plantenga MS, Luscombe-Marsh N, Lejeune MPGM, et al. Dietary protein, metabolism, and body weight regulation: dose-response effects. Int J Obes 2006;30:S16-S23.
    3. Bauer J, Biolo G, Cederholm T, et al. Evidence-based recommendations for optimal dietary protein intake in older people: A position paper from the PROT-AGE study group. JAMDA 2013;14:542-559.
    4. Yang Q, Liu T, Kuklina E, et al. Sodium and potassium intake and mortality among US adults. Arch Intern Med 2011;171:1183-1191.
    5. Yang Q, Zhang Z, Gregg EW, et al. Added sugar intake and cardiovascular diseases mortality among US adults. JAMA Intern Med 2014; (doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13563.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Honestly, this might surprise some of you, but I don't even know what net calories means. I'm not up with the MFP lingo. I view things from a gross level. Net seems a bit ridiculous. Net of what? Exercise? Variability of metabolic efficiency across nutrients?

How is MFP defining net calories?

I believe MFP defines net calories like this...

Goal Calories ... Food Calories - Exercise Calories = Net Calories

(Edited to fix the quote part!)

Okay... well again, I view things from a gross level. I'm not big on trying to track exercise calories to a T. It's just not necessary in my opinion and it seems to me, in my experience, that people are already obsessing over the numbers too much. Granted, it jives with some people and I'm certainly not going to knock them.

But with my approach that I'm fortunate enough to apply to a lot of people, I prefer to recommend a gross intake. Obviously that number factors in everything... basal rate, thermic effect of feeding, spontaneous physical activity, non-exercise activity thermogenesis, AND exercise.

Since my clients are generally doing the same exercise program for extended periods of time, the calories expended exercising doesn't vary all that much.

To simplify things, I throw out the gross recommendation and than adjust it based on what's actually happening on the scale, with performance, and with measurements and pictures.

It works and it's cleaner from my perspective.

But that's simply my personal preference.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    So what is your suggestion if stress is interfering with weight loss or gain? Just find ways to de-stress? Accept that things may stall if stress is prolonged/not reducible in the immediate future?

My suggestion is to attack it from the stress management side of things. Obviously stress comes with the territory of life... nowadays more than ever. There's only so much we can do.

If someone leads a very high stress, fast pace lifestyle... I'm going to start by adjusting their training and nutrition accordingly. We have a finite bucket of stress management. When we're "spending" a ton of it on life in general, there's less of it to allocate to training and a big deficit. So I'll prescribe less volume on the exercise side of things and I'll suggesting being quite a bit more conservative in regards to how steep of a deficit you run.

In addition to this, I'll throw out suggestions of reading up on stress... like the book I recommended earlier... Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers. It helps with understanding the big picture. More importantly, I'll suggestion not only reading but also putting SERIOUS time and energy into the practice of mindfulness. Often times, while sure... life is stressful... it's not so much life that's overrunning our stress management systems. Rather, it's our perception of life... we're drowning in the past and future - both of which are out of our control. Although uncontrollable. we're investing a huge component of our stress management reserve on thoughts pertaining to the past and future and it leaves very little energy for the now.

At the end of the day, it's about:

a) Taking inventory of what's eating you. What's in your control and what's not? What circumstances can be improved and which can't?

b) Once you start whittling down the unnecessary things... then it's a matter of assessing your coping/management system. If the idea of "exercising" the mind as much, if not more frequently as you do your body seems foreign to you... you likely want to take a step back and commit yourself to some of the "over the counter" psychological tools that are at our disposal. They really do work.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for your reply - I guess I just get a little confused when people talk about having lower calories during the week, saving up for higher calorie weekends - how does that work in with the consistency?

They simply vary the calories across the week based on training, schedule, or preference... and make sure they're consistent with their rotating targets. That's all.
    I know it's an average over the week etc, but I guess I probably swing too far both directions. Would you suggest I aim for a consistent calorie goal on a daily basis for a while, to try to get some normalcy into my very non-normal world at the moment? Or just go for a weekly average?

With some of my coaching clients I can't answer that question even after extensive interviewing. It's something we iron out as we progress. If they're struggling with consistency using one approach over a couple of months, I might try a different approach to see how it resonates with them.

So I can't really answer that for you. My advice would be to go with your gut and commit to a single approach. Test it. Assess your compliance. If it's bad, then you know it's worth trying other approaches.

Also, if the idea of varying calories across the week seems daunting... it's likely a good idea to start with the fixed intake approach.
    By the way - how would you suggest tracking when you literatlly lose a day by flying over the international date line? We leave on Monday morning and arrive on Tuesday night - should I just track it as a really long Monday and not have anything for Tuesday?

I would NEVER worry about a single day or even a single week. Building a great body takes years. I don't devote a lot of mental energy to one-off schedule blips because it's really not worth it.
    [/quote]
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Is this a balanced lunch? i have high blood sugar trying to control through diet. And i am fully breastfeeding my 8 month old.
    Lunch
    Vine Sweet Mini Peppers, 3 peppers
    Onions - Raw, 2 tbsp chopped
    French's - Classic Yellow Mustard, 1 teaspoon
    Generic - Roma Tomato,
    Kraft Regular Mayo 1 Tblsp
    Cucumber - Peeled, raw, 1 small
    Eggs - Hard-boiled (whole egg), 3 large
    Romaine - Lettuce Hearts
    Best Choice - Pepper Jack Cheese Shredded, 1/4 cup

cal. 507 -carbs 17g- protein 28g

A meal in isolation doesn't tell us much. Looks good though. Better thing to do is build out a meal plan and stick to it the majority of the time. See how it makes you feel and modify it as needed over time.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Has your low blood sugar actually been measured postprandial? Or is it that you're simply experiencing hypoglycemia symptoms?

Be that as it may, you're going to obviously have to base your carb intake on fibrous sources that are also high in potassium. There are also a number of meats that are high in potassium. What foods comprise your carb intake currently?

It is were me, I'd be testing the heck out of various food mixtures, frequencies, and timing to try and reduce the rigidity of my diet... I know that much. I've dealt with a few clients who experienced symptoms of hypoglycemia and in those cases we were able to test our way to a more robust carb intake
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Really fantastic advice and reading. Thanks so much!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • stroutman81
    Options
    My pleasure... I really do enjoy these Q&A threads. I think they're a lot of fun.
  • elleshimn
    elleshimn Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Honestly, this might surprise some of you, but I don't even know what net calories means. I'm not up with the MFP lingo. I view things from a gross level. Net seems a bit ridiculous. Net of what? Exercise? Variability of metabolic efficiency across nutrients?

How is MFP defining net calories?

I believe MFP defines net calories like this...

Goal Calories ... Food Calories - Exercise Calories = Net Calories

(Edited to fix the quote part!)

Okay... well again, I view things from a gross level. I'm not big on trying to track exercise calories to a T. It's just not necessary in my opinion and it seems to me, in my experience, that people are already obsessing over the numbers too much. Granted, it jives with some people and I'm certainly not going to knock them.

But with my approach that I'm fortunate enough to apply to a lot of people, I prefer to recommend a gross intake. Obviously that number factors in everything... basal rate, thermic effect of feeding, spontaneous physical activity, non-exercise activity thermogenesis, AND exercise.

Since my clients are generally doing the same exercise program for extended periods of time, the calories expended exercising doesn't vary all that much.

To simplify things, I throw out the gross recommendation and than adjust it based on what's actually happening on the scale, with performance, and with measurements and pictures.

It works and it's cleaner from my perspective.

But that's simply my personal preference.

Thank you very much!!! :)