Non-Runners - did you turn into a runner or quit?

Options
I'm 47 years old, female and about 5'2 and 185. Obviously I'm overweight. I have never liked running but haven't minded it when it's part of a sport like soccer. I also don't mind classes like Zumba or Step aerobics so it's not a matter of not wanting to do intense cardio. My question is for non-runners who have tried running, how many really convert to being runners and get the runners high and the fever to be a lifelong runner? Or do most try it or do it out of necessity but never fall in love and give it up or replace it with other things? I run heavy footed, not light footed. I know I should bring it into my routine especially since it would be the easiest exercise to do when my kids are in sports and not require going to a gym (when I don't have enough time for a full workout). If you have converted, did you follow a C25k method or just go out there and not let yourself quit? I want to quit after a block every single time. Just not finding the groove but maybe not sticking with it long enough? Thanks for your input/inspiration or your story or reality about whether non runners really ever convert?

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I was a non runner. but now I run 4.8 miles 4-5 times a week and I run at least one 5K a month. I love running. it's the best thing in the world.
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am a non-runner, but followed the C25K app for a while, and almost finished it. Even though, I didn't finish it, I was able to run maybe 3 miles. I have a difficult time running because it's really hard on my knees and hips. I bought special running shoes with the opinions of multiple professionals and still had issues with the impact on my lower body. Needless to say, I found that running isn't for me, although I enjoyed it. I have taken up biking and Zumba and walking instead of running. I wish I could run, just too hard on me.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    wanting to quit is (right now for you) part being out of shape and your mind telling you that you can't do it. once you get into some kind of shape for running, it will be sky's the limit to what you can achieve. tell yourself you can do it not i wish i could do it. there is a reason why NIKE has the slogan just do it. JUST DO IT!!!! I didn't use C25K but if I were to do it over again I would probably do it.

I'll admit, it's hard. no one said it was easy. by mile 4 i'm ready to quit. but I keep trucking until my body is used to that mileage. I have just recently (this week) upped it from 4.4 miles to 4.8 miles. but I'm going to conquer it. then I will extend it a little further. I have let go of my fears and there is no blocking in my mind.

just work hard at it, you won't be a marathoner over night so take it slow and have fun doing so. run with a friend so you can chit chat while you run.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I am a BB DVD boy. I've done many rounds of insanity and p90x.

Its like impossible to get my heart rate over 170 during those workouts now and i am lucky to get over 155 for 10 min in a 60 min workout.

I ran 2 miles in 18:45 and i hit 180 and was over 155 bpm for 13 min out of that 18:45

i didn't expect to be able to run a marathon, but i did think my HR was going to be more under control.

I think my biggest problem is being able to pace myself, but i almost don't want to learn how to because 2 miles as fast as you can do it is one hell of a work out.

odd thing is that i feel as tho i'm exerting myself much more during the BB workouts even tho my HR doesn't get nearly as high for as long
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    I am a non-runner, but followed the C25K app for a while, and almost finished it. Even though, I didn't finish it, I was able to run maybe 3 miles. I have a difficult time running because it's really hard on my knees and hips. I bought special running shoes with the opinions of multiple professionals and still had issues with the impact on my lower body. Needless to say, I found that running isn't for me, although I enjoyed it. I have taken up biking and Zumba and walking instead of running. I wish I could run, just too hard on me.

when I weighed 285lbs it was hard on my knees, well even at 200 lbs it's still hard on my knees but I ice them and don't let sore knees stop me from running. NO ONE will ever stop me.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was a non-runner until 2009. Then my goal was do get through a 4-mile loop around my neighborhood. Completed. Kept running intermittently, but never did any major distance. 2012 hit and I decided to make my goal a half-marathon. I ran in two competitive events and did many 13-mile practice runs. Two days after the Rock N Roll Las Vegas half-marathon in December 2012, I sprained the f**k out of my ankle. Didn't let it heal properly or go to the doctor for months. It hurt soooo bad when I'd try to run on it. Finally went to the doc, had to wear an aircast for 3 months and of course, no running. When I was able to get the aircast off, I just didn't have the interest in running anymore and I still don't. I'm ok with 5k, but anything more and I just don't want to do it. lol. So now I consider myself a non-runner again. :smile:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I used to absolutely despise running, but I realized that the reason I didn't like it was because I was "bad" at it. I could only run for about a minute at a time and it was discouraging. But once I started to improve, and made measurable progress with every run, I became addicted. Unlike weight loss, there is some instant gratification associated with running! After I ran my first mile without stopping I was so emotional I almost cried. Haha
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Trust me. I would run if I could, but per doctor's orders I am to stick to low impact exercise. I would like to not have to worry about knee surgery 20 years from :)
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I tried loosely following the C25K program for about three months last year. I was only able to jog 1-2 times/week and I couldn't always progress as fast as the program. I got to 20 minutes of slow jogging and was quite proud of that but then stopped because I started working a second job and couldn't fit it into my schedule any more. I never learned to like it and I don't think I'll go back to it once I have time to fit cardio back in to my schedule. I much prefer zumba or swimming and I don't want to spend time doing something I don't like.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a quitter. I jogged regularly for about 6 months last year, and could never really get above 5.5 m.p.h. for 2 miles. I switched to a combo of weights, swimming, walking, elliptical, and biking and I am personally much happier, although I really admire runners.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I run out of necessity on a treadmill and I can go a couple miles, but I doubt it'll ever bring me joy like lifting does.

Tried road running and I know, it's something I really should do but I'm just bleh about it t'be honest...

Edit - I do intervals on treadmill, so I get up to 9 or 10 on sprints for 90 to 180 secs and walk at 4 for 60 to 90 secs

Jay
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Runner runner chicken...wunner?! I had tried to run before and failed but this time I decided to do C25K and loved it! Completed it last week and now have a real obsession with running. This has just been my personal experience though, you need to make sure you find what works for you :)

ETA...lifting is my love though, I loved that from day 1 and it's now part of who I am.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was a non runner until November-- felt the way that you did and last sunday I just completed my first half marathon =)

and I would have never even thought I would have done that. DIdn't believe in the runner's high until I felt it myself =)
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was a non-runner a little over 6 months ago when I joined. I worked my way up by running every morning for 5 days a week and added distance onto my runs slowly. I currently run 5k every weekday morning. I have definitely become a runner and I love it. The endorphins I get from my morning routine are priceless.

I should also say that I do this running on a treadmill that is in my house. It helped me stay on track because I could do this one my own (I prefer some privacy as opposed to gyms) and because I can watch tv shows with the captions on while I do it.

*edited for typos
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've always been a runner. I used to do it because it was good cardio then I ended up enjoying it. I realized how much I enjoyed running when I was sidelined for 3 months due to an injury. The majority of my running is done indoors but I do take it outside every now and then when the weather is warm. This year I want to add a 6 and 10 mile run once a week in addition to what I already do.
  • newpalfan
    newpalfan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to run due to my knees and lack of knee cartilage. Even brisk walking can cause problems, too. I have used a Nordic Track ski machine for over 20 years. Absolutely love it. It gives me a high like runners describe. I ski about 6 mph using arms, too.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    I was a non-runner a little over 6 months ago when I joined. I worked my way up by running every morning for 5 days a week and added distance onto my runs slowly. I currently run 5k every weekday morning. I have definitely become a runner and I love it. The endorphins I get from my morning routine are priceless.

I should also say that I do this running on a treadmill that is in my house. It helped me stay on track because I could do this one my own (I prefer some privacy as opposed to gyms) and because I can watch tv shows with the captions on while I do it.

*edited for typos

try to run on the road one time just to see what it's like. it's a much different experience. I love it much more than a treadmil. plus I can unplug from the world for an hour at a time. I take no text msgs, emails, occasional phone call. but for the most part I'm in my own world just running like a kid would do at a park. and giving high 5's to passing runners is a great feeling.
  • Lpaduano17
    Lpaduano17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was a non-runner until the beginning of March. That's when I started the C25k program and now I love it! I look forward to my runs more than any other exercise I do. I never thought I'd love it but it works for me :wink:
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post this because I'm beginning to add running to my workout routine. I am reaching a point in my cardio workouts that I need something to give me a high calorie burn but not take 45 minutes to an hour on the treadmill. I've been walking at a 3.2 - 3.8 mph pace but need to get more out of it without being on it for an hour. I began intervals yesterday and hope to get myself up to 30 minutes at 5.2 - 5.6 mph. Understand that I have never enjoyed running. My workouts are usually elliptical and weight-lifting but it's time to try something new. I'm thinking about 5ks now. It must be because I've recently turned 50!!