I've turned into one of "those" people

Options
I hate when someone gets on a forum (no matter how new they are) and asks a general-*kitten* question - as if its the members job to decipher what it is that that person wants and effectively respond in detail. But, I've officially turned into one of those people.

I have absolutely no idea how to start my weight loss journey because all of my past attempts have been a bust. It isn't that I'm incapable of losing weight or that whatever program I was on didn't work. I just haven't found anything that I can see myself doing for the long-term, so any success I've had has been followed by inevitable failure because I wasn't able to keep it up.

Exampe: I tried following a low-carb diet. I don't want to get into the details of what I ate, when I ate, or how often I ate it because I'm not going back to this particular diet anyway and you'll just have to trust that I followed it correctly. I felt like hell the entire time that I was eating low-carb and can't imagine feeling that way just to lose some weight. Then I opted to just eat 5-6 small meals a day. I had protein at every meal, green veggies as my side, and a complex carb to go with it (following the portion-control standards suggested by Bodybuilding.com) and I worked out with my Jillian Michaels dvd. But it just got extremely tiring having to eat so often throughout the day. I felt like a cow, grazing every five minutes, and all this did was make me slllooowwwly gain weight.

Very confusing.

This hardly concludes my attempts at eating better or losing weight, but I think I'll just stop there. I'm not saying that I've tried "it all" - not by any stretch of the imagination. I understand that I've barely scratched the surface and have probably been doing everything wrong this whole time! But I am officially tired of spinning my wheels and just want to understand the BASICS.

Can anyone tell me what the BARE MINIMUM is for losing weight. I mean what is the basic information that anyone should know if they are serious about losing weight? I've heard people say over and over that it boils down to calories in versus calories out. So does that mean that I need to work out just to be sure that I stay under the recommended "1,200 calories a day" goal? That what I eat is all designed to make my workouts easier (as in, you aren't tired throughout it) and the results more effective? Is THAT what it all boils down too? And if so, what am I supposed to be eating then? Why?

Now that I've written it out it sounds like a dumb question. But I just want to know what it is that I'm working towards. Counting/portioning/avoiding all of these macros is starting to feel really tedious. And I'm at a point where I just want to keep it simple and start at the basics.

Replies

• mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE/BMR and look into figuring out your macros.

1,200 calorie diets, IMHO, are not a sustainable amount of calories especially if you are exercising.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Really, just setting MFP for lose 1lb/week and staying under the calories it tells you will result in weight loss.

Some people feel better with frequent meals. You obviously don't. So don't do it.

Some people feel better low-carb. You obviously don't. So don't do it.

Just make sure you're tracking accurately and stay under the calories. And if a food or combination of foods makes you feel bad, don't eat it.
  • FitThickChick
    Options
    listen to my body. that makes plenty of sense. thank you
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Really, just setting MFP for lose 1lb/week and staying under the calories it tells you will result in weight loss.

Some people feel better with frequent meals. You obviously don't. So don't do it.

Just make sure you're tracking accurately and stay under the calories. And if a food or combination of foods makes you feel bad, don't eat it.

This right here ^^
  • FitThickChick
    Options
    Wow, I've never heard of those accronyms before lol. What does TDEE and BMR mean?
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

tumblr_m7643jcWcY1rziwwco1_400.gif

As long as you're in caloric deficit you can essentially eat what you want in moderation. Buy a food scale, weigh and log EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. Logging is tedious, but you get used to it, and it's an indispensable tool for tracking your progress and making adjustments. There is no magic quick fix, losing weight takes work. Fitness and nutrition find balance and you will succeed.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the BARE MINIMUM is for losing weight. I mean what is the basic information that anyone should know if they are serious about losing weight? I've heard people say over and over that it boils down to calories in versus calories out. So does that mean that I need to work out just to be sure that I stay under the recommended "1,200 calories a day" goal? That what I eat is all designed to make my workouts easier (as in, you aren't tired throughout it) and the results more effective? Is THAT what it all boils down too? And if so, what am I supposed to be eating then? Why?

Here you go --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C80W7vmvZ0

ETA: This video was created by the man who is referred to in the links below for Scooby's Workshop website. The calculators on that site can be used to try and figure out which numbers work for you. I say try because we all very rarely get it right the first few times and the numbers change as our bodies and goals change as well.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've never heard of those accronyms before lol. What does TDEE and BMR mean?

Basal metabolic rate and Total daily energy expenditure

you can find yours here.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I eat between the MFP recommendation as the TDEE. and continuously lose weight. I also don't deny myself anything that I want, but I log it and hold myself accountable.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Two Step Basic Plan:

1) Use this http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    2) Eat the amount of calories listed next to "Daily calories based on goal in step 6"

Pretty painless....I used this and lost over 30 pounds.

Good luck....
  • FitThickChick
    Options
    I actually do have a food scale so I'll be sure to make good use of it
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Agree ^^^^ Give mfp your data, including a realistic activity level for you, set it to lose sensibly and eat the calories it suggests. If you do more exercise eat about half of those calories back. Eat the foods you enjoy but try to eat mostly nutrient dense foods (gives you good value for your calories) and keep it simple. I drink wine sometimes, eat out about once a week and eat a little chocolate every day and I am losing a steady 1.5 - 2lbs per week. You will lose!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

All this.

One great thing about MFP's method is that you can decide what works for you and don't have to over complicate it. Another is that as you log you can see what you are doing that can be improved and make adjustments.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    DOH! nmncare beat me to it.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple myself. The area I struggle with from time to time is my diet. I just eat too much food sometimes because I love to eat. This is a discipline that I usually do well with but not always. 1. Control your portions, don't eat more than what your body can burn (especially if you are not exercising) as it will store as fat. 2. When you work out, really work out. Push yourself and get your heart rate elevated and keep it there. You will get a fantastic burn then and will see pounds come off and body reshaping take place over time. This is an area where I excel as I really push myself. Also mix up your workouts so you focus on different muscle groups and not always the same thing, get cardio, weights and do some yoga circuit training etc... find what you like.

Like someone else mentioned earlier set your goals so they are realistic. Maybe set MFP for a one pound loss goal per week, or a 1/2 pound per week and then if you feel more comfortable over time make it a little more aggressive. The main thing you want to do is establish healthy lifestyle habits that will stick and you will have the long term success you are looking for. Best of luck!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I would just like to congratulate you for reaching out for help and genuinely taking people's advice :flowerforyou:

I would just like to add that I promise you, losing weight doesn't have to be hard or complicated at all. Find a calorie deficit that works for you and just eat within that calorie range, and you'll lose weight. I promise it's really simple :wink: Good luck!
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you burn.
    That doesn't mean burn off everything you eat in the gym, it includes calories burnt in staying alive.

I would recommend just putting MFP as lose 0.5-1lb per week (based on how much weight you have to lose), and just make sure you stay under the calories.

No special foods, just eat the same as you would normally, but less of it so that it fits the calories.
    I would also recommend investing in a food scale, it makes being accurate and being under calories much easier.

Good luck with reaching your goals! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So does that mean that I need to work out just to be sure that I stay under the recommended "1,200 calories a day" goal?

Do you really think 1200 calories is a maintenance level of calories? Hint...it's not even close...MFP takes all of that info you put in and calculates a calorie deficit from you estimated NON EXERCISE maintenance number as per your stats, activity level (without exercise), and loss rate goal.

You lose weight eating those calories without any exercise whatsoever. That is the most aggressive approach however and many people have difficulty with dietary adherence with a 2 Lb per week goal. People tend to have greater long term adherence with a more reasonable calorie goal...in the long run it often takes less time to reach goal with a 1 Lb per week loss rate goal (500 calorie per day deficit) than with a 2 Lb per week loss rate goal (1,000 calorie per day deficit) due to better dietary adherence.

Ultimately though this has to be about more than just a number on the scale...nutrition and fitness has to become a part of who you are and a major component of your life well after you've lost your weight. Losing the weight only gets you to the starting line of a much longer race. Fitness and nutrition are life long endeavors...you are never done....there is no finish line. Understanding this and making fitness and nutrition a major part of your life is what is going to allow you to maintain and be a healthy and fit individual. Sadly, this fact is missed on the vast majority.
  • FitThickChick
    Options
    you people are truly amazing. thanx for all of the links and advice. it has already been a huge help