ALWAYS STARVING!

Options
Please help! I really want to lose weight but I just can't stop eating. I'm always hungry. I've been trying to eat more nutritious foods, instead of highly processed, low calorie junk but I just can't seem to eat enough. I have been eating foods high in protein and good fats. I've also been trying to drink plenty of water (I've been averaging around 80 oz a day).

My food dairy from yesterday was as follows:

Breakfast:
Coffee with 1 sugar packet and 3 tbsps of flavored creamer
Steel cut oatmeal with 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1 tbsp of PB2

Lunch
Avacado Egg Salad Wrap (2 hard boiled eggs + 1/2 avacado on flour tortilla)
Small side salad with spinach, ~ 1 tbsp of cheese, ~2 tbsp of ranch dressing and ~ 2 tbsp of eggs (I didn't pre-pack my salad so I had to approximate. I got it in the cafeteria because I was STILL hungry after my wrap.)
2 Clementines

Dinner
Black bean and rice burrito with ~1 tbsp cheese, ~1 tbsp of sour cream and ~2 tbsp of verde salsa
Caramel Rice Cake with smear of peanut butter and few chocolate chips

Afternoon Snack
3 slices of Food Lion - New York Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup grapes
bag of M&Ms

I realize that this isn't the best diary for a day but I was still hungry after I ate my afternoon snack of cheese/grapes (hence the M&Ms) and still hungry after my burrito (hence the rice cake). I won't even bother posting what I've had today, but I will say it is A LOT and I'm still NOT full! Ugh.

Please give me some tips on things I can tweak, add, or remove that will help me feel full, but stay under my calorie requirements. I'm very frustrated!

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If you're always hungry then only eat a half a bag of m&ms and and eat the calories you saved in lettuce, celery, broccoli, etc. You'll get full. If you're still hungry, then skip the M&Ms and repeat the second half of my original suggestion. You could also make some vegetable soup, filled with tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, celery, spices and some chicken broth. You can fill up on that.

Simply put, exchange some of your calorie dense choices (though not all) for low calorie, large quantity foods that will fill you up.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian?
  • melissa_bebb
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian. I realized that I didn't eat any meat that day. Lol.
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I find that if I stock my day with mostly this as the baseline (calculate calories and then add in extras if I'm hungry): egg whites (up to 1.5c), 50cal greek yogurt pots, vegetables, deli meat in lettuce wraps, 100cal popcorn bags, 2/3c oatmeal with a tbsp of wheat bran (+splenda or tsp cocoa or cinnamon), and a pack of sugar free jello then I'm not too bad. I also use tea, diet pop and hot water with a tsp of cocoa in it in between to help.
  • rajinj
    rajinj Posts: 1
    Options
    Not certain if it would work for you, but my tip would be to drink cups of black tea when you're feeling hunger pangs.
  • GeapetCore
    GeapetCore Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi - I use veggies a lot to fill me up. For breakfast, I ate a gluten free bagel with a little canadian bacon and made it a sandwich by adding fresh spinach/lettuce and tomato. The hungrier I am, the more lettuce I add...or an egg if I know lunch may be late.

For lunch, I always bring veggies to suppliment my sandwich or leftovers. Today I had leftover grilled chicken on bread, along with a whole cucumber and tomato that I had diced up this morning and splashed it with oregano flavored vinegar. I also take fruit for my dessert or afternoon snack.

Dinner is usually 25% protein, 25% carb, and 50% veggie (maybe even more like 75%). Even if I sautee pea pods, I will still make a quick salad. I always try to make veggies the bulk of my meal - so low in calories.

I would recommend trying to move away from the artificially sweet snacks...once I start snacking on them, I don't want to stop and I crave sugar for days.

Also, skip the cheese snack and peanut butter - yes its yummy but for the same amount of calories you could have had something much more substantial.

Finally, make the foods you do eat as flavorful as possible. Fresh herbs and vinegars add almost no calories and make even steamed veggies seem much more exciting.

I also have pretty much given up on salad dressing in favor of salsa or flavored vinegar - every calorie saved on dressings or toppings can be used on "real" food.

I assume you are just starting out - if so, please remember that you are changing your lifestyle and some hunger is going to occur.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein, fat, and fiber all help you stay full longer. It may be that you aren't eating enough total calories. With MFP exercise calories get added to your daily total because MFP gave you a deficit based on zero exercise. So eat back at least a portion of those.

Your food choices look good. Do you track fiber (I track that instead of sugar)....what do your protein & fiber numbers look like?
  • CindySportsMom3
    CindySportsMom3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find myself being hungry alot! I have been trying to add more veggies and fruit in my diet. I love snacking on hummus and carrots. Stick with it, don't give up.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Add some more protein.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Hi - I use veggies a lot to fill me up. For breakfast, I ate a gluten free bagel with a little canadian bacon and made it a sandwich by adding fresh spinach/lettuce and tomato. The hungrier I am, the more lettuce I add...or an egg if I know lunch may be late.

For lunch, I always bring veggies to suppliment my sandwich or leftovers. Today I had leftover grilled chicken on bread, along with a whole cucumber and tomato that I had diced up this morning and splashed it with oregano flavored vinegar. I also take fruit for my dessert or afternoon snack.

Dinner is usually 25% protein, 25% carb, and 50% veggie (maybe even more like 75%). Even if I sautee pea pods, I will still make a quick salad. I always try to make veggies the bulk of my meal - so low in calories.

I would recommend trying to move away from the artificially sweet snacks...once I start snacking on them, I don't want to stop and I crave sugar for days.

Also, skip the cheese snack and peanut butter - yes its yummy but for the same amount of calories you could have had something much more substantial.

Finally, make the foods you do eat as flavorful as possible. Fresh herbs and vinegars add almost no calories and make even steamed veggies seem much more exciting.

I also have pretty much given up on salad dressing in favor of salsa or flavored vinegar - every calorie saved on dressings or toppings can be used on "real" food.

I assume you are just starting out - if so, please remember that you are changing your lifestyle and some hunger is going to occur.

Good luck!

Hmm.....the low fat approach doesn't work for many (kinda old school). Dietary fat is necessary to absorb vitamins (and more). Dietary fat doesn't make you fat.

Peanut butter is VERY substantial. It is high in healthy fats & protein. Dress a salad with olive oil & vinegar.....that's "real food" too.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and fats then is what I'd suggest. Upping my fat intake has really helped with hunger AND cravings.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Good luck!

Hmm.....the low fat approach doesn't work for many (kinda old school). Dietary fat is necessary to absorb vitamins (and more). Dietary fat doesn't make you fat.

Peanut butter is VERY substantial. It is high in healthy fats & protein. Dress a salad with olive oil & vinegar.....that's "real food" too.

I agree with everything you said except I would say that peanut butter being high in protein. It has protein but it's fairly low. it would be at the bottom of my to eat list if I wanted to get some protein inserted into my diet.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    People eat food.... not calories. Humans eat 3 1/2 to 5 pounds of food a day. I eat about 4 3/4 a day @ around 2130 calories which is about 540 less than my TDEE. I'm never starving. My suggestion is to find that balance between satiety and the number of calories to be in a deficit. As far as days go without eating any meat is no problem. I can hit 160g of protein without meat, so I know you could hit your protein goal on meatless days.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Good luck!

I agree with everything you said except I would say that peanut butter being high in protein. It has protein but it's fairly low. it would be at the bottom of my to eat list if I wanted to get some protein inserted into my diet.

You're right....it's high in fat & has protein....not high in both macros though. Lazy typing on my part.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Moar protein!
  • melissa_bebb
    Options
    I see all the tips about more protein. Does anyone have any tips on high protein, low calorie things? Eggs, PB, avocado are all high protein, but high calorie too.
  • littlebirdyxx
    Options
    I have a massive problem snacking, and graze a lot. I don't stop myself, but replace the things I can graze on with low calorie things. Nibble raw cucumber, celery, raw broccoli (I think it tastes sweeter and nicer than cooked), raw carrots, raw cauliflower (tastes a bit peppery, like rocket). If you don't want to eat them plain, add 1/2 tbsp of unsweetened peanut butter - I melt it in a dish in the microwave to make it runnier - or some natural yoghurt.

More protein personally didn't work for me, but boiled chicken might be worth a try. Once it's cooked through, season it with a bit of salt and pepper, or some salsa or sriracha.

I personally avoid cheese, as much as I love it. It's dense calories, and I never find it filling. The same goes with nuts, fruit and dry seeds. I only ever have them if it's a tsp to tbsp sprinkled on my oatmeal when I have a busy day planned.

I find that fruits like apples and grapes leave me feeling starving 30 minutes later if I eat them on their own. Now I eat them before a meal instead, and have a smaller meal. I think it's the fructose sugars - I've had others tell me they have the exact same reaction to apples.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    I see all the tips about more protein. Does anyone have any tips on high protein, low calorie things? Eggs, PB, avocado are all high protein, but high calorie too.

High protein, low calorie? It's boring but white meat fowl. Fish can be a great one too. Sometimes when I need more protein for lifting, I eat a can of tuna.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Greek yogurt, lean meats, egg whites. Protein powder would be a nice addition to oatmeal.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What are your calorie goals? How much weight do you have to lose? Can you make your diary public? Unless you eat the same things everyday it can be helpful to see the trends as against a one day snapshot.

Quite possibly you could be hungry because you could stand to eat overall more calories :)

But speaking of protein you had oats, blueberries and PB2 for breakfast. 1 tbsp of PB2 according to the entries I found is 45 calories and 5g of protein. Steel cut oats 5g protein per 150 calories. I was actually told once to potentially eat up to 30g of protein per meal!! That's a bit high but you can see how you could stand to increase it.

And volume wise, your lunch - eggs and avocado in a wrap just doesn't seem that much, unless you're already used to eating very little. If you prefer to stick with this calorie wise at least pile in a bunch of veggies. Again, I just wonder in general, what about more food? :)