Fitbit Flex vs. Zip

Options
I'm investing in one of these this weekend. I'm looking for "real people" reviews, pros cons on each device, etc. I'm not sure which would be better for me too. I'm not extremely active, but I do walk often. I have a desk job in healthcare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i have had both.

i switched to the flex last year,
    my first zip , i laundered , and it died
    my second zip fell out of its case and got lost(Fitbit replaced it)
    my third i gave to my husband when the flex came out last year

i have never lost it , i dont use it to track during the day, per se, cuz it synchs with my phone, but i do check it about 4-5 times a day with my phone.

the bands were a weak point, but i again got a different one , and this one seems to be built much better, and has not fallen apart like the first one did,
    i wear it contantly - like a watch, and i love it. that little visual reminder for me , helps keep me moving, I work from home, so i use my phone for a lot of stuff, i have alarms set to remind me to get up and move and I have a self enforced rule, when i get up for ANYTHING, even the bathroom, i have to walk in place at least for 2-3 minutes to "earn" the right to sit back down..

I dont use the alarm or sleep tracking function , because the vibration thing is just feels really wierd to me
    if i had to choose again, i would get the flex again, or would have gotten the Force before the recall..
    I am kind of a gadget type person, though...
    YMMV
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip. I chose that model because I didn't need the sleep or stair tracking that comes with the other models, and I didn't want something on my wrist - I like that the Zip clips to my bra and is out of sight. The clip is strong and has never come loose, even on long runs with it clipped to my sports bra, so no fear of losing it.

The numbers seem to be pretty accurate, both steps taken and total cals for the day - I'm happy with it! :smile:
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip. I chose that model because I didn't need the sleep or stair tracking that comes with the other models, and I didn't want something on my wrist - I like that the Zip clips to my bra and is out of sight. The clip is strong and has never come loose, even on long runs with it clipped to my sports bra, so no fear of losing it.

The numbers seem to be pretty accurate, both steps taken and total cals for the day - I'm happy with it! :smile:

This is really helpful for me too, thanks. I want something out of sight but which works, but I just assumed they were all all on your wrist or waistband.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and I love it! I perhaps would have gone with the zip having my time again as the band starts to look pretty grubby after a couple of weeks & sometimes have to remove it when going to events etc. as it looks a bit scruffy! Also the band has come off on a few occasions, luckily I've always found it but I was without it for a week at one point.

I love the features & the encouragement it gives you to get up & walk a few extra steps!
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have the Zip. Two best things I like about it over the Flex:

1) I can put it in my pocket/on my waistband/bra so it isn't noticable. This is also a plus because I dont really like things on my wrists/arms when working out.

2) It displays the number of steps on the screen - I'm not really supposed to have my phone out at work, so syncing and checking it on my phone constantly is a pain. I know on the flex there are lights (I think 5) that let you know how you are doing, but I like to see the actual number.

As long as you don't mind not having the sleep tracking or the stairs climbed number, I love the Zip!
  • Staysee7
    Staysee7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the zip also and I really like it. I personally wouldn't like something on my wrist all the time. My only complaint is that it does not track stairs....but it does track steps on an elliptical. I keep it clipped to my bra or the inside of my pants. I check my stats on my phone at least 4-5 times a day. There's a fitbit community (kinda like MFP) where they do monthly challenges and such. I did last months step challenge, and it was fun! There were 5 teams and the team I was on, we came in 2nd place :) It definitely motivates me to move more
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have a zip and I really like it. I keep it clipped to my pocket or waistband. It reminds me to keep moving. Besides what everyone else has said I also like the weekly report that summarizes everything from the week before.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    I've the zip for about two months. I don't like wearing anything tight on my wrists, so the Flex wasn't really an option for me. I thought about getting the One, but I'm not really interested in tracking my sleep or stair climbing.

It's been great for me. I like that the information is right there on the screen. It's small enough that I can clip it to my bra or the inside of a pants pocket.

If the sleep/stair tracking isn't a big deal for you I'd highly recommend the Zip.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I also love my Zip and clip it to the center of my bra where it's totally unnoticeable.

Between the Flex and the Zip, beyond the wrist vs. pocket/bra option, you should also decide if you want to track the stairs you climb and your sleep. If those are important, than get the Flex (or the One). If those aren't important, then get the Zip (no need to pay for options you're not going to really use).

All Fitbits have a great online dashboard where you can really track your day-to-day and longer-term progress. And all of them will send weekly progress reports to your email. All of them sync with MFP, which I find to be really great, since MFP has a much better food database but the Fitbit more accurately tracks my calories burned from step-based activities.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The only difference is the Fitbit Zip does not count flights or going upstairs. Flex will count that except I am a visua personl and need to look at the numbers. I still have Fitbit Force even though it was recalled. I have no problems.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, it keeps me going, check it every night, has really helped me watch my steps, I am a terrible sleeper, that has gotten better, I put the electronics away now and got to sleep, Don't mind wearing it as I always have it in my vision. Great it syncs well w/ MFP