Folks with 100lbs or more to lose

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone: I have a just under 100 lbs I would like to lose. This is going to feel like a plug, but it isn't. I went to a talk to other night by Dr. Arya Sharma who is an obesity expert in Canada (if you have chance to see him go, it was fantastic) and part of what he talked about wasn't weight loss itself but why we gain weight, why salt affects blood pressure, etc. The biggest thing I got from his talk wasn't about losing weight but about stopping the gain. So anyone who is not seeing the scale move downwards, you are still successful. Think about if you had not been doing anything at all. Chances are you would have continued to gain. But you haven't. You are successful by just trying. This isn't a lifestyle, it is your life. Style is something you wear. Good luck everyone.
    Love this post! Thanks! I needed to read that today.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options

One more thing... we get enough judgment from people out there in real life. I'm on here to get and (hopefully) give support. If someone asks my opinion or help I try to be as straight and honest as possible but in the end you are you and I am me and we are all taking our own routes down the same journey, My point is... I don't care if you have had surgery or not, or if you are eating paleo, low carb, South Beach, WW, Atkins, Cabbage Soup Diet, Grapefruit Diet, Donut Diet, Avocado-and-Banana Diet, whatever. I don't care if you run marathons or can't get to the corner of your block without a rest. If you are eating 2,000, 1500, 1200 cals a day, it's all good. Even if you are trying to do it on 500 (good luck with that one, I've been there and it wasn't fun nor the smartest move I've ever made), I WILL NOT JUDGE YOU. (I WILL ride your *kitten* about it, but I won't judge you. Just saying.)

DucklingtoSwan (Margaret)
    Love this one too!
  • catwink1
    catwink1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me , this journey is much nicer with support.
  • catwink1
    Options
    Good for you keep it up!
  • catwink1
    Options
    I need to lose 100 lbs. I have bounced back and forth the past several years between 200- to now my highest 244. (ugh). For the first time ever, I am feeling the physical effects of carrying around too much weight. In the evenings, I can hardly walk because my feet hurt so bad, my feet swell up like balloons (and I"m even on blood pressure meds WITH a diuretic), and just recently I've become very short of breath. I have horrible acid reflux - which actually chokes me in the night when I'm sleeping. Very scary and very horrible!!! All because of my weight! I have got to get my weight under control! I've gained over 20 lbs in the past 6 months alone!

So today I have logged back in, reset my goals and starting completely over. I have such a hard time startting out. It's like "today I'm going to get back on track" and then a few hours later I'm eating whatever I can find. So my goal for the next few days is to come here, log in, and be honest about what I've eaten -- start taking baby steps and work my way to tightening things up and getting back on track!

Would also love to have weight loss friends who have or are struggling through, like me.

Tiffany
  • dami2306
    dami2306 Posts: 2
    Options
    how long will it take to loose 50 pounds am currently 182 and i wnanna loose weight by summer i wanna be 124-130 pounds
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing! I too started out with over 100lbs to lose. I am 5'9" and began this journey at 307. OMG! I hadn't yet posted that to the public. :embarassed: Ugh!!! I'm down 42lbs as of today and I'm not looking back! My first short term goal is 250 by my friend's wedding in August. My long term goal is 200 (by Oct 2015). Yes, I am aware that I'll still be overweight, but, it will be the lowest I've been in over 20 years. At that time, I will re-evaluate and see how I feel. I'm guessing another 20lbs might be in order, but not much more as I have a larger frame and I want to be able to maintain.

Talked to the doc a few years back about the surgery route and while I was qualified, he encouraged me to do this on my own. Told me about a bunch of problems people have with/after the surgery and mainly that if my mind isn't made up to live a lifestyle that supports a lower weight, the surgery won't be successful in the long run anyway. He basically told me it isn't an easy way out and specifically said he believed in me and that I could do this without surgery or pills. Yeah doc!

I am borderline diabetic and it runs in my family so it is extremely important I get this under control. I have hypothyroid and pcos which both work against me - but I'm determined to not let those hold me back. I'm so very thankful for some of the people on this sight that continue to encourage me. I log every day and I'd love to have some more like minded friends.

I have changed my lifestyle but need constant reminders to keep going.
    I have made this commitment to myself but need encouragement to keep strong.
    I WILL reach my goals and would love to have some friends to share with along the way.

Let's DO this!!
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    *whistles* I have over 100 pounds to lose. My first goal is 100 pound loss however, and then maybe 20-40 more. I'm so not going to push it if all I ever lose is 100 pounds. I will be ecstatic. Right now I have lost almost 15 pounds (whoo hooo) and that makes me 305. I will be doing a dance when I get below 300 and another when I reach 250. I have seen those both more times than I can count and one more is coming up.

I live by the motto: "I have not failed because I have not quit trying."

I like your motto - mine is "I will only fail if I quit. And I'm not quitting."
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say kudos for you for making that decision and for the amount of weight you've lost so far. I had 228 lbs. to lose when I began this almost 3 years ago. I now have under 70 lbs. to go (my mfp bar only reflects what I've lost since adding a daily calorie limit as a way to manage my portion sizes), and am about 160 lbs. total lost so far.

I too chose not to go the surgery route, it just wasn't the right one for me. I use mfp for portion control, and CALP for how often I eat and what I eat (carbohydrate addict's lifespan program). I too have a blog but am not sure if I can post that web addy here, so will just say it is another tool for me, that I added this year..to chart moving into maintenance - hopefully by the end of 2014.
  • waterbeetle
    Options
    I have been battling with weight my entire life. I've considered surgery, but have decided instead to follow a medically monitored meal supplement program at our local hospital. After I reach a comfortable weight, I will start adding food and plan to follow a vegetarian diet. I've lost 21 lbs. but cannot exercise right now due to a slipped disc in my back. I'm currently receiving epidural injections to help with that and can't weight to be able to exercise again. I love outdoor activities like camping, hiking, kayaking, etc. I'm also an avid gardener. I'm happy to find this group. Good luck everyone!
  • LBlair87
    LBlair87 Posts: 1
    Options
    Looks like you have an excellent start! Keep up the good work :)
  • sdonovan96
    sdonovan96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I WAS the full blown diabetic on 80 units of insulin and taking 2 pills for my hypertension. For whatever unknown reason I never cared about me and my health and wound up in the ER with sugars at 500....then I became a grandmother, my heart melted and the reason for me became clear....fast forward to today. I quit my highly toxic full time job, have weaned myself down to ONE pill for my diabetes and ONE pill for my hypertension and I research everyday on the correct food to eat to keep me healthy. How did I do that? I started out by walking for 20 minutes at a speed of 1.5
    I am now a Zumba addict and I also started running 1/2 marathons. Am I good, um well no, and I even placed dead last on my first 5 mile run last September, but I still trumped the one who sat on the chair watching me try to run. I am a multiple weight watcher and Jenny Craig drop out, however MFP is amazing with the daily cheerleaders and keeping honest with one another. Speaking of which I've been in a months long rut...kinda like jogging in place and going no where, but I refuse to give up. Surgery has never been an option for me. It's a delicate balance of mind over matter, what you put on your plate and exercise that will make you succeed and succeed you have!

You go! Good for you! What an amazing, inspiring story that it's never too late to make a change. Congrats on your success!!!
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I have over 100 to lose, and am willing to add friends.
    I have horrible acid reflux - which actually chokes me in the night when I'm sleeping.

I had the same issue. When I started monitoring my portions, my acid reflux almost entirely disappeared. I still have moments but they are NOTHING like I had before.
  • mearsy88
    mearsy88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hiiiii :-) I have around 100lbs to lose overall too..... Looking for friends for support so feel free to add me :-)
  • Sirenasdeath
    Sirenasdeath Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hello! My names Sarah and I have about 120 pounds to lose. If your looking for motivation, support and friends you can add me :)
    We ALL want to meet our goals and with awesome support we can succeed in anything!
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    All who posted to this thread are welcome to add me as a friend and follow my page on facebook "Changing my life one pound at a time". My ultimate goal is to lose 164lbs. Im over half way there!
  • labtechmike
    Options
    I had a 100 100lbs to lose. I am down 81 in less than 4 months. I joined spark people for the food plans and use mfp for tracking. I go to the gym everyday for cardio and try to do weight training on weekends. It is hard for me to do the weights just because I find it too boring. I have way much more fun doing cardio. So I think you need to find a form of exercise you enjoy and do that. Great job on your weight lose. I had the same issues with hypertension and I was also borderline diabetic, but now my blood sugar is down to 79! I go to the doctor on Tuesday and hopefully I will be off my hypertension meds as well. Feel free to add me I try to be motivational to everyone because I know how much motivation helps. I put a lot of my success so far to my great group of friends!!!
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    Good morning! I just want to keep this thread going! So bumping it back to the top!
  • LibraryBatgirl
    LibraryBatgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 29, 5'4" and when I started (on Jan 24th) I weighed 342lbs. My goal is to loose 100 lbs by my 30th birthday (Nov. 4th 2014) and then another 100lbs next year to get me down into a healthy BMI range. Yesterday was the end of the first quarter of my allotted time (I'm running Feb 4th -Nov. 4th) and I have lost 27.2 lbs so I'm right on track. Most of what I've been doing I call "making better choices" -I'm only eating the correct portion size, I eat a salad or a double portion of steamed vegetables at every non -breakfast meal, no soft drinks of any kind etc. So far, so good I just hope I can keep it up. I have always been big (like 200lbs in 5th grade, 300lbs in high school big) so this has been something I have been putting off for a long time. I would definitely like to have a group of people to talk to who are going through the same stuff so thanks for opening this thread. --LB
  • CharlottesDK
    Options
    I have lost 22 lbs so far, but still need to loose 90 lbs. Everybody who needs to loose a lot are welcome to add me. Im on here every day and loves the support that I get. And I love to give support to everybody. :-)