Always hungry?

Options
Hello just looking for some advice really.
Would any of you take a quick look at my diary and give me tips on what foods would be better for me to eat as I am always hungry, I drink plenty of water and I'm just at a loss, It's not just a little hunger it is stomach cramps of hunger and I feel like quitting :(

Replies

• MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Pretty safe to say it's that chocolate pastry and coca cola you had. That's over 500 calories that could be used for something more filling. Pop is unnecessary really. It's just adding calories for no reason.
    Also, with 38 pounds to lose, you should be at 1lb a week for loss. Not saying that you aren't already set at that, but if you put 1.5 or 2 pounds, you should move it to 1lb.
    If you cut out that pastry and pop that's like another complete meal you could have.
  • rljohnsufl
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think you'd get better results if you could reduce or cut out the sweets. A 377 calorie pastry, a coke, jam, Nutrigrain bars, etc. I for one would be ravenous if I only ate a Nutrigrain bar for breakfast!

Maybe try to find something with more protein. Microwave a couple of eggs, maybe with some veggies and a little cheese. Greek yogurt with fruit and a drizzle of honey. A smoothie with protein powder.

You're killing yourself with the snacks. My typical snacks are an apple with cheese, two hard boiled eggs and an apple, trail mix (no candy!), etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The first thing that stands out to me is that your protein intake is pretty low. Look for foods with more protein, fat, and fiber since these help us stay fuller and more satiated longer.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Look at the protein target as a minimum. Carbs carbs carbs will keep you hungry hungry hungry.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to lose 1 pound per week. When you exercise, eat more (MFP will add additional calories when you log exercise).

Get a combination of protein/fat/carbs. I don't see very many fats in your log for the last few days. Olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, olives, hummus, peanut butter, dairy, meat.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The first thing that stands out to me is that your protein intake is pretty low. Look for foods with more protein, fat, and fiber since these help us stay fuller and more satiated longer.

Agreed! Focus on getting protein in every meal and limit your carbs to two meals and/or snacks a day. Make those whole grain carbs or natural carbs like fruit before a run. Eggs and oatmeal for breakfast will give you fuel for the day. On the go, try making a smoothie packed with spinach, fruit, almond milk and maybe peanut butter for protein. Add that to your granola bar and that might hold you over for a few hours.
  • labtechmike
    Options
    Hello just looking for some advice really.
    Would any of you take a quick look at my diary and give me tips on what foods would be better for me to eat as I am always hungry, I drink plenty of water and I'm just at a loss, It's not just a little hunger it is stomach cramps of hunger and I feel like quitting :(

definatly more protein would help with the hunger pains, tuna, turkey, egg whites stuff like that. Don't give up it gets easier!!!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You need protein. Greek yogurt, nuts, milk, cheese, eggs, poultry, beef, fish etc. Protein and fats are what keep you feeling full longer. For me, every meal is protein, veggies, then 1 starch/carb serving like potatoes, rice, pasta or fruit.

Combining protein with a carb for snacks is very filling, such as peanut butter with apple slices.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ what they all said.

Your total calories are good but your macros are weighted towards carbs (think the old saying ....."why do I always feel full whilst eating a chinese takeaway .... and then feel hungry an hour later?"....

Carbs (such as bread / pasta / rice) will temporarily fill you ... but will ultimately make you crave more carbs.

Fill up on good protein sources (chicken / turkey / fish / red meat / cottage cheese / legumes) ... and also good fats (avocado / oily fish / nuts / nut butters) ... they'll fill you up and keep you feeling full for longer !!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    What the others have said!
    It might benefit you to include sugar in your macros, so you can see how much you are consuming. Sugar is ok in moderation, but it has a lot of calories while providing absolutely no nutritional value or the benefit of feeling full. This is why people say "empty calories". Try diet coke instead if you don't mind the taste (not great for you either people tell me but I find that diet soft drinks can be good for satisfying a sugar craving with almost no calories). Try a piece of fruit too if you are having sugar cravings, or sometimes I have a lollipop which lasts ages and is 45 calories :)
  • Elvirka_xoxo
    Elvirka_xoxo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Have big breakfast and cut out the junk. Candy might be a one second enjoyment but it doesn't make you full. If I'm really hungry, I have half of cup of oatmeal with berries
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat take longer to digest and will keep you from feeling hungry longer. Carbs just get processed too quickly and you're hungry an hour later. Insulin spikes and drops from sugar also will increase hunger for more carbs, which can be a vicious cycle. Water can stave off hunger for a little while, but it also is only temporary.

Cut the sweets and simple carbs and get more protein and fat into your diet. The only bad fat is trans-fat if you're burning all your calories, so don't worry about eating saturated fats versus mono and poly-unsaturated. Eat more protein and fat and you can stay fuller longer and still stay within or even below your calorie goals per day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Have big breakfast and cut out the junk. Candy might be a one second enjoyment but it doesn't make you full. If I'm really hungry, I have half of cup of oatmeal with berries

I want to point out that breakfast keeps some people fuller throughout the day and makes others hungrier throughout the day. It won't have an effect on your weight loss either way as long as you're staying within your calorie goals. It's not a bad idea to play around with your meal timings and find what works best for you.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Some people already mentioned, but I thought a list format with practical swaps and suggestions based on foods it looks like you eat routinely might be helpful!

(1) Protein:
    Bran flakes --> scrambled eggs (or egg whites) with diced bell peppers and goat cheese
    Snack --> Greek yogurt
    Lunch --> tuna or lentil soup

(2) Fiber:
    Potato chips --> sweet potato chips --> kale chips
    White potato --> sweet potato, quinoa, lentils
    Chicken stir fry --> load that baby up with more veggies like carrots, bell peppers, celery!

(3) Avoid packaged foods:
    chocolate pastry --> dark chocolate nubs

(4) Wean off added sugars:
    Coke --> diet Coke --> Crystal Light --> water/tea (with honey!)

(5) Water!
    Try getting a 1L bottle/cup. Fill it up in the morning and try to finish it by dinner. Sometimes, people feel like they're hungry but they're actually thirsty. Bodies are weird.

craving-sweets1.jpg

Avoiding added sugars, #4, is probably be the most difficult part of lifestyle change. It is absolutely amazing how much sugar is in things -- another poster recommended adding sugar to your diary tracker and it has REALLY opened my eyes. I don't think sugars from fruits/vegetables are too bad, but it's very surprising to see what contains "hidden" sugar.
  • gypsy__heart
    gypsy__heart Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's being said. It looks like the majority of your daily calories are coming from snacks! Try swapping your current options for something like an apple with peanut butter or a Quest protein bar. Then, try eating more nutritionally dense foods at your meals, and make sure you are getting your daily recommended amount of protein because that will help you feel full! You are not eating enough at breakfast, and zero protein there. Try something like greek yogurt with almonds and berries or a hard boiled egg and fruit. And the soda and sweets you are eating are so sugary, and do nothing to fill you up or keep you full. You really need to focus more on eating natural and clean foods, and a lot less processed foods!
  • DuneKidd1969
    DuneKidd1969 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your diet is lacking variety and nutritional sustenance.
    You need to be eating whole foods:
    Veggies, Grains, Beans, Legumes; lots fresh fruits, Lean meat and poultry and low fat dairy.
    You can eat a few eggs w/o wrecking the diet.

Stay away from canned fruit, snack bars and processed meats; lots of unwanted things you don't need.
    Eat five to six small meals through out the day and you'll feel better.
    Drink lots of water, also.

Until you feed your body real, whole food; you're just depriving yourself of what's good tasting and good for you.

I realize cooking can be an annoying, time consuming or even daunting task to some folks.
    Just get yourself a good cutting board, kitchen knife, a few mixing bowls and some decent heavy pots and pans with lids.
    You don't need anything else.

Example:
    Try cooking batches of foods and freezing them in order to add some variety to you menu.
    Roast off a batch of sweet potatoes. Eat these as snacks.
    Cook off your own beans,rice, grains - much cheaper and definitely tastier.
    Poach a batch of chicken breasts in a flavorful liquid, portion them and store them in that liquid. Then eat a three ounce portion with a 1/2 c whole grain, a few ounces of veggies and a piece of fruit twice a day.
    Delicious and nourishing all around.

Summer is fast approaching. Eat some salads with raw veggies, sliced cheese and dressed with really good olive oil, vinegar and herbs.

Make veggie and bean stews. You can throw in lots of veggies like corn, collards, kale, carrots, onion, canned tomatoes - you name it.
    Have that with a piece of pork loin or lean beef. Good tasting, easy to reheat, lots of nutrition and fiber.

Most of all, have fun with it.
    Go on line and explore all of the cooking websites. Learn about herb and spice combinations. You'd be amazed at the combinations you could come up!
    It becomes addicting very quickly !

Good Luck and Bon Appetite!

:happy:
  • Melzabee
    Melzabee Posts: 4
    Options
    I looked at just one day. If that is typical of a normal day then you need to take in a lot more protein-at least what the daily goal is; more if you still feel hungry. Cut out the sugary snacks-no soda pop! Increase your fruits and vegetables. Try plain oatmeal sweetened with stevia and cinnamon. That will keep you filled longer.
  • Chinamarie20
    Chinamarie20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am confused why everyone here is telling you to eat more protein! Yes you are eating a lot of carbs, but you are not eating enough fruits and vegetables. They are low in calories and high in fiber. And they will keep you filled up. I suggest you eat huge salads and a lot of fruit. You really have to make the most of your calories. 400 calories of veggies in a salad with some dressing will keep me much fuller than a 400 calorie dessert.

Yes, protein is important and it has the highest level of satiety when consumed. But that's not part of the entire picture.
  • michelleamhill
    michelleamhill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think you'd get better results if you could reduce or cut out the sweets. A 377 calorie pastry, a coke, jam, Nutrigrain bars, etc. I for one would be ravenous if I only ate a Nutrigrain bar for breakfast!

Maybe try to find something with more protein. Microwave a couple of eggs, maybe with some veggies and a little cheese. Greek yogurt with fruit and a drizzle of honey. A smoothie with protein powder.

You're killing yourself with the snacks. My typical snacks are an apple with cheese, two hard boiled eggs and an apple, trail mix (no candy!), etc.

I agree with what she says above here Dawn. Check out my diary. I am NEVER hungry. Granted, I eat a lot of homemade stuff, but it really is filling me up. I would never spend 377 calories on non nutritious food. WIth only 1200 cal a day, I check the "reports" section regularly to make sure I'm getting the recommended daily amounts of nutrients. I'm NOT an expert, but I tend to believe that if you get your vitamins and minerals from food and eat to attain general "balanced nutrition" it really satisfies my hunger and I rarely have cravings. I feel for you, I know you're frustrated. Don't give up!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am confused why everyone here is telling you to eat more protein! Yes you are eating a lot of carbs, but you are not eating enough fruits and vegetables. They are low in calories and high in fiber. And they will keep you filled up. I suggest you eat huge salads and a lot of fruit. You really have to make the most of your calories. 400 calories of veggies in a salad with some dressing will keep me much fuller than a 400 calorie dessert.

Yes, protein is important and it has the highest level of satiety when consumed. But that's not part of the entire picture.

Which is exactly why people suggested she eat more of it, since satiety is the topic at hand. So you answered your own question.