1200 Calories/day everyone says its wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• Elvirka_xoxo
    Elvirka_xoxo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My day starts out with 1200/day but it's because I also want to lose 1/day. However, throughout the day it calculates the amount of how much I burned and changes my calorie intake. For example, yesterday I started with 1200 but after working out, having a soccer game, and my daily activities, my goal changed to 1800 because of how much calories I burned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5CaRL-qhSNQ4RQW3EyAOh-ICky5h-vujHUBxjONiyTW-t5okT

And oddly enough, it is transpiring pretty much like all the others....
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the LEAST amount of calories you should eat to fuel your body and expect weight loss. If you exercise your body needs more fuel so you eat "back" those calories. Sounds counter productive I know but if you don't get in enough calories to fuel your body it stops your metabolism. So plan your meals so that you eat NO LESS than 1200 calories a day and then when you figure out your exercise schedule and average calories burned you can factor those energy needs in to your diet as well. Any less than 1200 calories is not good for your body to function. They set that as the goal to be sure you are achieving that amount of calorie intake while at the same time you WILL see weight loss even if you do not exercise one minute.
  • andreaurrutialol
    Options
    Yea thats what happened when I was on the 800 cal/day diet. I never once worked out. Now Im going insane at the gym 4-5 times a week. I will start incorporating weights now. And I eat pretty good meals! My lunch is my favorite meal of the day lol
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel to function and to build muscle. So focus on eating enough protein, weight training and your metabolism will pick up. If you only have 10 pounds to loose you really need to be lifting weights to pump up the muscle to burn more calories but you won't build any muscle if you aren't eating enough of the right foods. Cardio is great for weight loss but does stall when you hit that wall. Good Luck. I actually love my weight training days and was bummed when I started a new program that cut out cardio for the first four weeks. But now I see that it was to help my body focus on muscle growth to speed up my metabolism. After a few weeks we will incorporate the cardio again.
  • ES110791
    ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is not appropriate or healthy for anyone. You should never eat below your BMR. You will lose, but weight loss at any cost is unhealthy and not worth it.
  • andreaurrutialol
    Options
    Your body needs fuel to function and to build muscle. So focus on eating enough protein, weight training and your metabolism will pick up. If you only have 10 pounds to loose you really need to be lifting weights to pump up the muscle to burn more calories but you won't build any muscle if you aren't eating enough of the right foods. Cardio is great for weight loss but does stall when you hit that wall. Good Luck. I actually love my weight training days and was bummed when I started a new program that cut out cardio for the first four weeks. But now I see that it was to help my body focus on muscle growth to speed up my metabolism. After a few weeks we will incorporate the cardio again.

Thanks this was helpful! I am excited to go to the gym after work today :):)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I, personally, had no problems eating 1200 (+ exercise cals). I did it for a good few months and my body didn't go into 'starvation mode' and store all my food as fat.

I'm cutting again at the moment on 1700 but if my weightloss slows, I'll be happy to drop to 1500/1300/1200 :o

1200 turns up so often as it's a recognised minimum - if you can stand to lose weight slower, consider upping your calories, if not, it won't kill you.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Best advice ever!:wink:
  • andreaurrutialol
    Options
    I, personally, had no problems eating 1200 (+ exercise cals). I did it for a good few months and my body didn't go into 'starvation mode' and store all my food as fat.

I'm cutting again at the moment on 1700 but if my weightloss slows, I'll be happy to drop to 1500/1300/1200 :o

1200 turns up so often as it's a recognised minimum - if you can stand to lose weight slower, consider upping your calories, if not, it won't kill you.

Thats what I was thinking too lol. Im eating all day and I workout to be able to eat more for dinner. Im happy. I just keep reminding myself it isnt going to happen over night and I have to stay CONSISTENT