How much did you start out squating?

Options

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting I had never done squats before. I thought it was hilarious that I was supposed to start with just the bar! (5x5)

...until I tried it!

Form is super important with squats. Get it right while you are light.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    the empty bar.. until I perfected my form.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If this is the first time you've ever gotten under the bar to squat, you were probably underestimating what your working weight could be.

However, it's always better to work on form first and get that down before trying to load weight.

Also, flexibility and mobility is a big factor in how much you can lift.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I started with just the bar as well. Squats progress quickly. Keep challenging yourself, and you'll be amazed :)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I started out using dumbbells, and was up to 150 lb (the biggest dumbbells in the gym - its just a small work gym, with no bars) before I got a barbell. Still, I unloaded down to just the bar to work on form before adding more weight. As others have said (and Rippetoe or Mehdi also suggest), concentrate on form for now, and add ~10 lb per session. It'll soon get heavy enough!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Body weight, of course. Once I started lifting, I used dumbbells up to about 30 lbs. I started the 5x5 program with the bar (45 lbs).
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Junior year of HS: 95 lb's at first. I was really worried about blowing out my knee or something. I think I spent a 6-9 months without increasing the weights. At some point I got bored and threw some more weights on there and I realized that I'd gotten stronger. Eventually got to 225 without breaking a sweat. I never did find my one rep max.

If you're timid about the strain on your knees, then get pen and paper out and map out the gradual increase over time.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts about a month ago and kept increasing weights on squats, starting from the empty bar.

Just recently, though, I realized that my knees were buckling inward on even 50 lbs of weight. Those technical errors can really hurt you later on.

So I decided I'm not gonna increase weight on the squats for a couple months but focus on abducting/adducting, hip raises, and lunges before I continue squatting.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha the empty bar was too heavy for me to do a full squat. I, literally, started with 0 kg (broomstick) and added 2.5 kg every workout.

Can do 70 now :)
  • SantaCruizer
    SantaCruizer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Focus on learning the technique, there's more to squats than meets the eye. Then practice with body weight, getting the form right. Then an unloaded bar and progress slowly. Technique is everything, then good form under load. Good luck.

P.S. Oh, also, build up core strength first. Think about building muscle from the inside out. Think about inner and outer strength, and balance them.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I started with 65 pounds. It would have been better if I had started with the bar.

Form is the most important thing. About once a month, I take a day and practice form with very light weight, do pause squats, then a couple sets where I go down slowly and come up very slowly to check what I'm doing with my hips and glutes at the bottom and top of the squat.

Starting with the bar is the best thing you can do in the long run. Don't worry about actual numbers. Worry about the work you're feeling from the exercises you perform.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I started with the bar! Just started stronglifts and that's what Mehdi recommends in the program. No shame here :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    the empty bar.. until I perfected my form.

^ This. I've gone through a couple of periods where I've stripped the bar to work on form. I think squats and deads are both very technical and it's important to dial in your form. Hell, I'm doing the same with my bench right now and it's a hell of a lot different technique than I've been using. Worry about the end result more than what you do today. Get it right.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Firstly I agree- decent form is better gained with lower weights, then work up to what you can manage with correct form on all your reps.
    This doesn't really tie in with the original question, and I'm sorry for jumping in; but my max is some-what stifled, and I have no idea the true amount I can squat. The squat rack is NEVER free, and the wait is sometimes 3 people, which frustrates me. So I currently squat 25kg, because that's the max I can Overhead press, to actually get it into position! Tips? I'm quite sure man-up and wait for the rack is the option....
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I started with 65 pounds. It would have been better if I had started with the bar.

Form is the most important thing. About once a month, I take a day and practice form with very light weight, do pause squats, then a couple sets where I go down slowly and come up very slowly to check what I'm doing with my hips and glutes at the bottom and top of the squat.

Starting with the bar is the best thing you can do in the long run. Don't worry about actual numbers. Worry about the work you're feeling from the exercises you perform.

^ And this. Don't worry about what other people in the gym may think. Dial it in right
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I started with body weight squats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I got back into lifting with Starting Strength and followed that program which has you start with the bar regardless of whether or not you can do more than that. It is helpful in learning form as well as adapting those smaller muscles and tendons to the load...often people's larger muscles can handle the load fine, but they run into issues with those smaller helper muscles and tendon and ligament injuries due to going too heavy too fast.

Starting Strength is a 3x5 program that focuses on compound lifts and is designed for the beginner...it has you progressively add weight each workout so that within a couple of months or so you're going pretty heavy but those couple of months at lighter weight has allowed for your body to adapt slowly to increased loads without overdoing it.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started working out at a gym this week and did the squat rack for the first time. I can barely get 8 reps with just the bar. My question is it normal to start out with no weight in the bar. ? Or could I be doing something wrong

a lot of beginner programs start with just the bar. That's the way i began as well. you feel foolish, and you are in and out of the gym in under 20 minutes for the first few weeks, but quickly the weight gets up when you add 5lbs to your squat each session. check out SL5x5 on google if you are looking for a decent beginner program.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    "heavy" in the fitness world is a relative term. Only matters to you. I always warm up with bodyweight squats and also the empty bar, no matter what max I am at.

^^ this.

Form is key - get that right and then get the weight on :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Always start with the bar (most bars weigh between 35-45lbs anyways). I started with the bar then added 50lbs.