Question About RunKeeper App

Options
Hello!

I realize this is a question not relating to MFP, but it is for an app that syncs to MFP: RunKeeper.

I usually am easily able to use RunKeeper to accurately-ish record my workouts. I start the app, give my fiancee my phone to place in his pocket, and the exercise is tracked. I know that phone trackers have a bit of inaccuracy when tracking running/jogging, so I keep that in mind. (Side note: It ALWAYS says that I am jogging at 5.0 mph and that is probably just my max speed...I do a lot of walking in between. The app gives me my avg. speed but, when it syncs to MFP, it states that my speed is always 5.0. Thank goodness it keeps the "accurate" calorie info, though! How annoying!)

Anyway, yesterday I went on a walk alone. I held the phone because my yoga pants do not have pockets. The GPS was working but it would not record any distance or speed for me! It was so annoying!! I was under the impression that you could hold the phone in your hand while going on a walk/jog/run. Has anyone ever had this issue or have any input on the subject? Thanks!

ETA: I cannot afford a quality GPS watch to track my workouts. I change out workout routines frequently...so who knows how long I will be jogging? I get bored too easily with workouts to invest a large sum of money into just one.

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you hit 'pause' or anything else by accident?
    RK has been working fine for me since I moved to the city and got my iphone5. Before, I had the 3, and lived in a rural area - the GPS would skip here and there and ad miles and miles to my runs. So back then I used mostly Nike+ along with the shoe sensor.
    Btw, you can get the armband to carry your phone and keys for under $20 at Walmart or Mark's. It's so worth it :wink:
  • coolcoolcool2
    coolcoolcool2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always walk with my phone in my hand while the Runkeeper app is going. I've never really had any problems with the app except for a few glitches. Sorry.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you hit 'pause' or anything else by accident?
    RK has been working fine for me since I moved to the city and got my iphone5. Before, I had the 3, and lived in a rural area - the GPS would skip here and there and ad miles and miles to my runs. So back then I used mostly Nike+ along with the shoe sensor.
    Btw, you can get the armband to carry your phone and keys for under $20 at Walmart or Mark's. It's so worth it :wink:

Nah, I lock my phone after I start the app. Also, I tried this three to four times during this trip. Thanks for the info about the other products.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Something went horribly wrong.

I've used Runkeeper for over 2 years on iphones in my pocket. In that time, I have had 4 gps glitches - two horizontally (RK assumes that I'm jitterbugging a few feet every second) and two vertical (RK assumes that I'm dropping above and below the pavement a few feet every second), but 690+ other workouts have been flawless.

Perhaps uninstall and reinstall the app?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Side note: It ALWAYS says that I am jogging at 5.0 mph and that is probably just my max speed...I do a lot of walking in between. The app gives me my avg. speed but, when it syncs to MFP, it states that my speed is always 5.0.

that's a function of how MFP categorises activities, it has an activity based on 5mph.
    The GPS was working but it would not record any distance or speed for me! It was so annoying!! I was under the impression that you could hold the phone in your hand while going on a walk/jog/run. Has anyone ever had this issue or have any input on the subject? Thanks!

It strikes me that the gPS wasn't passing any information to the app for some reason, potentially you hadn't had a fix when you started, or potentially the GPS signal wasn't reaching te phone because of your hand. I've had the former a couple of times with with both iPhone and Galaxy and had to switch the handset off and back on again to clear it. With the latter, if the GPS signal is already weak then your hand will absorb the signal enoughto limit what reaches the GPS receiver. my experience of iPhone is that it's slightly less sensitive than other phones.

Weather plays hel with GPS signal as well, heavy rain causes problems as can very high humidity.

Personally I use an armband for my phone, which sounds like a good investment for you.
  • katielshelby
    Options
    Something went horribly wrong.

I've used Runkeeper for over 2 years on iphones in my pocket. In that time, I have had 4 gps glitches - two horizontally (RK assumes that I'm jitterbugging a few feet every second) and two vertical (RK assumes that I'm dropping above and below the pavement a few feet every second), but 690+ other workouts have been flawless.

Perhaps uninstall and reinstall the app?

I uninstalled it and installed the Nike app...the Nike one worked fine today with me holding it. I will probably try RunKeeper again, though, because I liked it a lot better! Thanks :)
  • katielshelby
    Options
    Side note: It ALWAYS says that I am jogging at 5.0 mph and that is probably just my max speed...I do a lot of walking in between. The app gives me my avg. speed but, when it syncs to MFP, it states that my speed is always 5.0.

that's a function of how MFP categorises activities, it has an activity based on 5mph.
    The GPS was working but it would not record any distance or speed for me! It was so annoying!! I was under the impression that you could hold the phone in your hand while going on a walk/jog/run. Has anyone ever had this issue or have any input on the subject? Thanks!

It strikes me that the gPS wasn't passing any information to the app for some reason, potentially you hadn't had a fix when you started, or potentially the GPS signal wasn't reaching te phone because of your hand. I've had the former a couple of times with with both iPhone and Galaxy and had to switch the handset off and back on again to clear it. With the latter, if the GPS signal is already weak then your hand will absorb the signal enoughto limit what reaches the GPS receiver. my experience of iPhone is that it's slightly less sensitive than other phones.

Weather plays hel with GPS signal as well, heavy rain causes problems as can very high humidity.

Personally I use an armband for my phone, which sounds like a good investment for you.

Thanks for the info! Will take it into account. Yes, definitely need to invest in an armband. Now to find a way to easily carry my water bottle with me...I have not yet ruled out fanny packs. :happy:
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    Try Map My Run
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with Runkeeper, and it keeps very accurate track of my speed and distance.
  • katielshelby
    Options
    I've never had a problem with Runkeeper, and it keeps very accurate track of my speed and distance.

I think it was just a random problem. I took it off my phone after it failed again today, and like I mentioned above, I replaced it with the Nike app. I will probably try reinstalling RK, though. Apparently my app was just having a bad time!
  • ChelinIL
    ChelinIL Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper too, mainly because it reliably syncs with an app that "pays rewards". Never had an issue with it. I use it while riding my bike - keep it in a pocket or use a velcro holster on the handlebar stem.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I uninstalled it and installed the Nike app...the Nike one worked fine today with me holding it. I will probably try RunKeeper again, though, because I liked it a lot better! Thanks :)

There are several out there, I waffled about Runkeeper and Endomondo on another post yesterday, but broadly:

MapMyFitness - I've used a number of times on two generations of iPhone and an Android. I've had consistent problems with it and the website is a horrible user experience.

Runkeeper - Pretty reliable, good connectivity with a wide range of other services and useful free training plans as well as paid.

Runtastic - Seems solid enough but the free vesion is very limited and persistently nagging to upgrade. The service is expensive, with training plans being additional and the analytical tools whilst quite useful as not user friendly.

Endomondo - Reliable, good analytical tools on the web site, flexible training planning and reasonably priced. The irritation in the free version is a nag screen every time you flash it up, and the iPhone version always defaults to free version then polls the servers for your subscription status, so it can take a little while to get ready if you're in a weak mobile phone signal.

Nike - I found very limited usefulness but it seemed to work ok on the phone.

Try each of them and see what works, personally I use Runkeeper and Endomondo for running and cycling
  • katielshelby
    Options

There are several out there, I waffled about Runkeeper and Endomondo on another post yesterday, but broadly:

MapMyFitness - I've used a number of times on two generations of iPhone and an Android. I've had consistent problems with it and the website is a horrible user experience.

Runkeeper - Pretty reliable, good connectivity with a wide range of other services and useful free training plans as well as paid.

Runtastic - Seems solid enough but the free vesion is very limited and persistently nagging to upgrade. The service is expensive, with training plans being additional and the analytical tools whilst quite useful as not user friendly.

Endomondo - Reliable, good analytical tools on the web site, flexible training planning and reasonably priced. The irritation in the free version is a nag screen every time you flash it up, and the iPhone version always defaults to free version then polls the servers for your subscription status, so it can take a little while to get ready if you're in a weak mobile phone signal.

Nike - I found very limited usefulness but it seemed to work ok on the phone.

Try each of them and see what works, personally I use Runkeeper and Endomondo for running and cycling

Thanks a lot! I knew there were a ton out there, nice to have these reviews.