Loss of period

Options
Sorry, I don't want to gross anyone out :frown:, but I've been missing my period since I started eating less and changing my lifestyle. I don't know why and I'm a little scared for my health. A month or two ago, I was eating low amounts but I have since upped that... Could that be the reason why? I thought that'd have been stabled out by now or something by my new eating habits. Help?

Replies

• Casistrophic
    Casistrophic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone on this forum is qualified to speculate or give advice, you should really talk to your doctor ASAP.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I agree with Casistrophic - talk to your doctor. They'll know what questions to ask, and the loss of your period may be unrelated to your eating habits.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Probably good to talk to a Dr and get checked out just in case.
    But if you start doing a lot of exercise that can affect it, or if you eat too little, or if your bodyweight or bodyfat % drops too low. Are you underweight at all? How long has it been? Might be an idea to up your calories to at least maintenance for a while...?
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    But if you start doing a lot of exercise that can affect it, or if you eat too little, or if your bodyweight or bodyfat % drops too low. Are you underweight at all? How long has it been? Might be an idea to up your calories to at least maintenance for a while...?
    Just to let everyone know, there's no way that I'm pregnant.

I don't believe I'm underweight. I'm 122-123lbs and 5'7" tall. It's been about a month or so since I've upped my calorie intake. I will admit that I'm scared of maintenance.
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    iTStaRTsN0W Posts: 106
    Options
    to me, it looks like you are underweight. But, that is just the impression at glance. I would go to your doctor, but usually a change in diet can off your cycle.
  • Casistrophic
    Casistrophic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5'7 and 5'8 and my dietician told me that 130 pounds would be too low for me, so it's possible that you are underweight at 122.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Just to let everyone know, there's no way that I'm pregnant.

I don't believe I'm underweight. I'm 122-123lbs and 5'7" tall. It's been about a month or so since I've upped my calorie intake. I will admit that I'm scared of maintenance.

122 lbs at 5'7" seems underweight to me (I'm 5'7). See a doctor.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    . <
    There it is! I found your period!

Seriously, see a doctor and pee on a stick. My wife lost hers for a while and we thought it was stress related. By the time she finally agreed to go to the doctors, she was already 4-5 months along.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile picture, you are very thin, and you are trying to lose more weight by eating at a very big deficit? Your body is trying to tell you something, you should listen to it. You are probably causing more problems than you know.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    How low is your calorie intake? 5'7" at 120lbs sounds like you might be ready for maintenance, so you probably shouldn't be scared of it. . I don't know, it just sounds like it's on the low end for your height.

I lost my period for two months in the fall because I was usually eating under 1,300 kcals and working out 5x a week. I'm 5'5" and need a hell of a lot more to support my activity levels -- I lift -- so I had to increase my intake. I gained about 5lbs at first, but then it went away after two weeks of eating increasingly higher amounts. I maintain around 2,200 kcals now.

EDIT: and have my normal monthly lady problems again. #moonsickness
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I suspect it is because you have lost too much weight/are underweight for what your body can cope with. You will likely need to regain some weight for your period to come back. If you are 'scared' of gaining you might need to talk to someone professionally, as you might have an eating disorder. Your body is trying to tell you something, listen to it.

122 is very low for 5'7". I'm 5'7" and my lean body mass is 120, my goal weight is 147. I know that if I was your weight my periods would stop.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You are already underweight for your height and you are still trying to lose weight. I'm no doctor. Not even a nurse. But I'm pretty sure that could be the problem. Please go see your doctor.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How old are you? 122 lbs can still be a somewhat healthy weight depending on how your body is built, but I guess you know that your weight is very very low. Though, I think you should still have your period at that weight. You said that you're scared at maintenance :/ This worries me. Is it an option for you to go see a doctor or are you anxious about that too? Because people are probably right, there's no way around it. Nobody here is a doctor and what you describe sounds worrying.
    Best luck to you, you can always message me if you need someone to talk to. <3
  • jjm9499
    jjm9499 Posts: 4
    Options
    Female athletes that put themselves under a lot of pressure to perform, and therefore push their bodies to the limit on a regular basis and restrict calories, will lose their cycle. It's due to the stress and it's the bodies way of preserving as much resources as it can to survive.

Check out the Eat More to Weigh Loss group here on MFP and read about metabolic damage and how to reset your metabollism. You're a beautiful girl and you have permission to enjoy your life!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! where are you registered?
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Anorexic women typically dont get their period.
  • JamesE678
    Options
    if your caloric intake is really low it can affect your hormones badly this in turn can actually make periods irregular or stop them. most the time this is caused by have not enough daily fat in take as fats help with hormone production. i would say though if it is something that is of true concern and you feel your health is a risk then see your doctor. but do have this in mind some women that compete in natural bodybuilding shows often have no period
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I was about to type. Check with your doctor to rule out any illnesses, then increase your calories! You're eating between 1200 and 1350 on a regular basis with only 25-30 grams of fat. That is way to low, so your hormones are probably all out of whack. Try adding a serving of nuts, some avocado, or dairy products made with whole milk to increase both calories and fat. You might see the scale go up by 5 pounds, but that's usually just water/food weight. Take your measurements to track your progress, and don't be afraid of the number on the scale.